In state kids?

Section_316

Arop with 28 points 14 boards and 4 blocked shots tonight in a win against Central, So explosive around the rim. Handles the ball pretty well. Did hit a 3 pointer tonight. Going to be fun to see how he develops at NU. He plays very strong defense. 

Prep has a guard who is about 5'4". Had about 11 in the 2nd half. Took it to the rim about 4 times. The last time, Eric Behrens who coaches Central, called time out and came absolutely unglued. Really lit into his team. 

After what Central did last night I thought they would beat Prep handily, Boy was I wrong. Prep won by 20.  Shut down Tonje (10) and Wrightsell (11).  Tonje still looks good to me. I thought Wrightsell struggled tonight. 

Bellevue West beat PLV South . Bellevue West was led by David Nour with 21. Hepburn had 12. Not his best game. Did have a few really nice drives.  First look at Luk Wor. He is all of 6'8". Pretty athletic. Problem is he never posts up. He plays around the 3 point line. When he gets all the way to the rim, he can finish. Problem is he is not a great ball handler so he turns it over. Has a decent outside shot. Would love to see what would happen if he played down low.

Edited by imnothipp
update stats

From OWH story, also sounds like Arop spent a good chunk of the night guarding Tonje, who needed 17 shots to get to 10 points and has been on fire the early part of the season. Arop has had a great tourney so far on both ends.

1 for sure, and hopefully 2, future Huskers in the title game tonight - should be fun!

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/basketball/pospisil-title-drought-at-metro-holiday-tourney-will-end-for/article_bffa27f6-b6e7-524b-8e42-40779dcf8eb0.html

Bellevue West won the championship tonight. I did not get to see it. Miles was there.

Chucky Hepburn was MVP. 18 points/11 boards/4 rebounds

Arop had a big game as well. 21 points 16 boards. 

Rest of the All Tourney Team

Tonje from Central

Wur from PL South

Nuor from Bellevue West (6'1" junior)

Edited by imnothipp
added info

Some Saturday highlights:

Arop with 17 in win over Millard South

Donovan Williams with 25 (22 in first half) win over LNE

Luk Wur 21 pts and 15 rebounds win over Bellevue East

Tonje with 28 in win over Westside (Jaden Booth with 33)

Xavier Watts with 28 in loss to Benson

Hunter Sallis with 22 in loss to Pius (Jablonski with 23)

Udofia with 24 in win over Northwest

Edited by imnothipp
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had time to stop by in a while, but I've been covering a lot of high school basketball over at Hail Varsity for those here that are interested. Every Monday I'm recapping how the previous week went for Akol, Donovan, Chunky and Hunter and I'm writing at least one story a week on a high school game, some involving the Husker recruits and some not.

RE John Tonje: He's having a great year. Very good 3-point shooter, has really improved his ball-handling and ability to attack the basket, and he's very explosive (yes, he dunks effortlessly, Norm). Solid frame at 6'5". From talking to coaches (and my own observations) the question mark is his lateral quickness and ability to guard on the perimeter at the next level. The high majors in the area don't see him as a high major player, but LM/MM coaches are starting to take a look. He wasn't a full qualifier during the summer, which hurt his recruitment, but he is now. 

RE Lök Wur, he can score a little bit in the post and has a soft touch, but his slight frame makes it tough for him to anchor in the post and finish through contact. For instance, he struggled mightily against Shiloh Robinson from Kearney. He'll probably be a JUCO kid.

Javen Udofia is probably a JUCO kid as well. Right now, he only has a couple of NAIA offers. Good athlete, but doesn't shoot well.

Donovan had a really bad start to the season but has really caught fire from 3 over his last several games and is close to 40% now.

Akol, on the other hand, has really struggled with his shot. He hit 7 of his first 17 3s, but has missed 8 straight (depending on what happened in Monday's game against Millard North; box score hasn't been posted yet). Prep as a team has struggled mightily from 3 lately which has allowed teams to collapse the paint and make things tough on Akol.

Let me know if there are questions about anybody else.

6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Haven't had time to stop by in a while, but I've been covering a lot of high school basketball over at Hail Varsity for those here that are interested. Every Monday I'm recapping how the previous week went for Akol, Donovan, Chunky and Hunter and I'm writing at least one story a week on a high school game, some involving the Husker recruits and some not.

RE John Tonje: He's having a great year. Very good 3-point shooter, has really improved his ball-handling and ability to attack the basket, and he's very explosive (yes, he dunks effortlessly, Norm). Solid frame at 6'5". From talking to coaches (and my own observations) the question mark is his lateral quickness and ability to guard on the perimeter at the next level. The high majors in the area don't see him as a high major player, but LM/MM coaches are starting to take a look. He wasn't a full qualifier during the summer, which hurt his recruitment, but he is now. 

RE Lök Wur, he can score a little bit in the post and has a soft touch, but his slight frame makes it tough for him to anchor in the post and finish through contact. For instance, he struggled mightily against Shiloh Robinson from Kearney. He'll probably be a JUCO kid.

Javen Udofia is probably a JUCO kid as well. Right now, he only has a couple of NAIA offers. Good athlete, but doesn't shoot well.

Donovan had a really bad start to the season but has really caught fire from 3 over his last several games and is close to 40% now.

Akol, on the other hand, has really struggled with his shot. He hit 7 of his first 17 3s, but has missed 8 straight (depending on what happened in Monday's game against Millard North; box score hasn't been posted yet). Prep as a team has struggled mightily from 3 lately which has allowed teams to collapse the paint and make things tough on Akol.

thanks for all the updates Jacob!

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I don't know the names right off the top of my head, but what do you think of the big man from Kearney, the big man from Lincoln Southeast.  I know the Kearney kid is a Liberty recruit (could he play high division I?),  I heard the Southeast kid is a late bloomer and is likely headed to JUCO.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't know the names right off the top of my head, but what do you think of the big man from Kearney, the big man from Lincoln Southeast.  I know the Kearney kid is a Liberty recruit (could he play high division I?),  I heard the Southeast kid is a late bloomer and is likely headed to JUCO.

Two years ago I thought Shiloh Robinson (the Kearney kid) might have had a chance to make it to the high-major ranks if he had continued his skill development and grown another couple of inches, but then he broke his wrist and missed a whole year of development and he didn't grow any. I think he's found a good spot for himself at Liberty, and I think he might have signed already anyway.

I'm guessing you're thinking of Mayuom Buom at Lincoln Southwest; Southeast doesn't have any good bigs. He's definitely a late bloomer and JUCO probably is the path he will take. He's really long and really athletic, but he's really thin as well and doesn't quite know how to consistently use his physical tools and skills (he's got some shooting potential) to impact a game. He's only averaging like 11 points as a 6'9" kid in Nebraska. His feel for the game really has to improve.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Two years ago I thought Shiloh Robinson (the Kearney kid) might have had a chance to make it to the high-major ranks if he had continued his skill development and grown another couple of inches, but then he broke his wrist and missed a whole year of development and he didn't grow any. I think he's found a good spot for himself at Liberty, and I think he might have signed already anyway.

I'm guessing you're thinking of Mayuom Buom at Lincoln Southwest; Southeast doesn't have any good bigs. He's definitely a late bloomer and JUCO probably is the path he will take. He's really long and really athletic, but he's really thin as well and doesn't quite know how to consistently use his physical tools and skills (he's got some shooting potential) to impact a game. He's only averaging like 11 points as a 6'9" kid in Nebraska. His feel for the game really has to improve.

Thanks Jacob!

On 1/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, royalfan said:

The more I watch Baylor Scheierman the more I think he can be a very good d1 player.  After watching us lay bricks non stop it would be refreshing to have a shooter.  Not saying I would have recruited him at the time but I wouldn’t be shocked if he could play at a better than summit league level.  

The SDSU staff absolutely loves him and think he's an immediate impact player for them. He doesn't quite have the explosiveness you'd like to see from a high-major player but the kid has unlimited range and great court vision, and he's gotten better at getting to the rim and finishing over the past year. 

Just now, Jacob Padilla said:

The SDSU staff absolutely loves him and think he's an immediate impact player for them. He doesn't quite have the explosiveness you'd like to see from a high-major player but the kid has unlimited range and great court vision, and he's gotten better at getting to the rim and finishing over the past year. 

Way better at getting to the rim and finishing.  Way better at rebounding.  Way better at defense.  He is lacking a burst like you mentioned.  He is smart on defense though, so his range and length allow him to give a little ground to not get beat, while still contesting shots because of his length.  He also has matured a great deal IMO.  A little more business and a little less hot dog to his game now.  He still makes flashy plays, but less low percentage plays like he made in the past.  

The more I watch Baylor Scheierman the more I think he can be a very good d1 player.  After watching us lay bricks non stop it would be refreshing to have a shooter.  Not saying I would have recruited him at the time but I wouldn’t be shocked if he could play at a better than summit league level.  

I think he could play heavy minutes for Nebraska right now as shooting starved as we are.  The thought of him taking about a dozen threes a game for us is very appealing about now.  

Definitely. The only challenge could ultimately be speedy, high-major Div. 1 point guards.

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Definitely. The only challenge could ultimately be speedy, high-major Div. 1 point guards.

Yeah there would need to be some cross matching with a guy like him.  There isn't much doubt to me that he would be in our rotation right now if he were on our team.  Speaks to how thin we are, how bad at shooting we are, as well as how good I think he might be.  

38 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Yeah there would need to be some cross matching with a guy like him.  There isn't much doubt to me that he would be in our rotation right now if he were on our team.  Speaks to how thin we are, how bad at shooting we are, as well as how good I think he might be.  

Agreed. Baylor is a prime-time performer.

13 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I think he would be great at UNO. And, Wur would be somewhat intriguing at UNL to see how high his ceiling really is...