In state kids?

Section_316

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

There have been many years where Tonje would have been the best HS player in the state...just not this year.  

He's 6'5" and one of the best 3-point shooters in the state.  I'd be curious to see what @basketballjones thinks.

I can see why/how a kid could fly under the radar.  Questions I'd want to know answers to are:

1.  How explosive is he?  Can he dunk effortlessly?

2.  How smooth are his handles?

3.  What's his motor like?

4.  So, he hits at a high percentage; does the shot look good? (i.e., good form, quick, good release point, elevation on the jump, etc., such that it will translate to the next level.)

5.  Is he scoring at all three levels?  Is he getting to the rim, can he pull up mid-range off the dribble, etc.

We don't need another guard this year, but would he be willing to attend prep school for a year?  Would he be willing to greyshirt?

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

He's 6'5" and one of the best 3-point shooters in the state.  I'd be curious to see what @basketballjones thinks.

I can see why/how a kid could fly under the radar.  Questions I'd want to know answers to are:

1.  How explosive is he?  Can he dunk effortlessly?

2.  How smooth are his handles?

3.  What's his motor like?

4.  So, he hits at a high percentage; does the shot look good? (i.e., good form, quick, good release point, elevation on the jump, etc., such that it will translate to the next level.)

5.  Is he scoring at all three levels?  Is he getting to the rim, can he pull up mid-range off the dribble, etc.

We don't need another guard this year, but would he be willing to attend prep school for a year?  Would he be willing to greyshirt?

I’ll do my best to make you proud 

Have we ever sent a guy to prep school as a way of getting him on campus a year later? You can never have to many 6’5” guys who can shoot, our problem is we have a few that can not 

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

In regards to recruiting, our current roster isn't nearly as important as the future roster.

I agree, but B-town was referencing our current roster.  In answering my own question, we seem to only have one rotation player who struggles with his outside shot, and the hope is that Amir will be able to refine his stroke as he matures in our program.  I guess one could argue that Isaiah is struggling a bit with his shot, but he has great form and shots should start to fall.

Moving to next year; we add Kendrick, Dachon, Jervay, Akol and Mika to the team/rotation.  I believe all of them can shoot.  In 2020, we seemingly are locked in on a couple of high level scorers in Donovan Williams and D'Andre Davis.  

I guess my point is that we have limited scholarships and we seem to have locked in our our priorities and all of those that are coming in appear to be able to shoot the rock.

Thomas Allen, Jervay Green, and Nana Akenten are the only safe bets of good 3pt shooting next year.

Dachon Burke was an okay shooter at a low level of D1 bball.

Akol Arop just recently discovered his shot from deep. Aside from him catching fire from 3 at that one AAU tourney Miles was at, does anyone know how he has been shooting?

Karrington Davis is a complete wildcard. Will have essentially gone two whole years without playing much bball by the time he is healthy.

Roby is a better shooter than he has shown this year but not as good as his percentage showed last year.

Thor, Brady, and Amir arent currently threats from deep.

Dont know much about MAW's shooting.

49 minutes ago, khoock said:

Thomas Allen, Jervay Green, and Nana Akenten are the only safe bets of good 3pt shooting next year.

Dachon Burke was an okay shooter at a low level of D1 bball.

Akol Arop just recently discovered his shot from deep. Aside from him catching fire from 3 at that one AAU tourney Miles was at, does anyone know how he has been shooting?

Karrington Davis is a complete wildcard. Will have essentially gone two whole years without playing much bball by the time he is healthy.

Roby is a better shooter than he has shown this year but not as good as his percentage showed last year.

Thor, Brady, and Amir arent currently threats from deep.

Dont know much about MAW's shooting.

Not certain how effective it is but Duchon’s shot looks smooth.

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Do you believe that is the case with our current roster?

Ya current roster. I was referring to Thor and Harris but not every rotation player has to be a great shooter to contribute, but they should atleast be a threat. 

I think the future roster adds a boat load of shooting. I’d expect Burke to be atleast a mid 30s shooter from three and I think green, MAW, and Akol all have the ability to be 35-40 percent plus from 3 point range 

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I guess my point is that we have limited scholarships and we seem to have locked in our our priorities and all of those that are coming in appear to be able to shoot the rock.

Agreed inless there is an unexpected transfer I don’t think we can afford not to take post players w the last two available scholarships

On 12/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I agree, but B-town was referencing our current roster.  In answering my own question, we seem to only have one rotation player who struggles with his outside shot, and the hope is that Amir will be able to refine his stroke as he matures in our program.  I guess one could argue that Isaiah is struggling a bit with his shot, but he has great form and shots should start to fall.

Moving to next year; we add Kendrick, Dachon, Jervay, Akol and Mika to the team/rotation.  I believe all of them can shoot.  In 2020, we seemingly are locked in on a couple of high level scorers in Donovan Williams and D'Andre Davis.  

Is "Kendrick" supposed to be Karrington Davis?

some highlights from yesterdays metro tourney:

Millard North-Central.    99-70 Central

Central had 30 points in first quarter.  I think they knock off Prep tonight. Millard North has a lot of talent and Central just schooled them. 

Tonje with 29. Kid works really hard. Will definitely play D1.

Wrightsell with 28. He is coming off an injury. He looked terrific. 

Hunter Sallis with 18. 

Max Murrell with 14.  6'8" kid has a huge upside in my opinion.

Jason Green with 11 (Freshman). 

Prep - South .   75-68 Prep

South is not very big, but very pesky. Would be surprised if they don't make state

Arop with 21. Drove real nice. Needs to get better position for rebounding. His FT stroke looks good. He air-balled a 12 footer which was concerning

Jay Saunders with 26 for South. 

Bellevue West-Bryan.    86-78 Bellevue West

Chucky Hepburn with 24

Nico Felici with 18. I hear he has an offer from Northern Iowa

Grixby with 25 for Bryan

Udofia with 23

Papio South-Burke.  68-61 PL South

Lok Wur with 29 points 11 rebounds for PL South. He continues to put up big numbers

Burke was led by Xavier Watts with 18.

12 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

some highlights from yesterdays metro tourney:

Millard North-Central.    99-70 Central

Central had 30 points in first quarter.  I think they knock off Prep tonight. Millard North has a lot of talent and Central just schooled them. 

Tonje with 29. Kid works really hard. Will definitely play D1.

Wrightsell with 28. He is coming off an injury. He looked terrific. 

Hunter Sallis with 18. 

Max Murrell with 14.  6'8" kid has a huge upside in my opinion.

Jason Green with 11 (Freshman). 

Prep - South .   75-68 Prep

South is not very big, but very pesky. Would be surprised if they don't make state

Arop with 21. Drove real nice. Needs to get better position for rebounding. His FT stroke looks good. He air-balled a 12 footer which was concerning

Jay Saunders with 26 for South. 

Bellevue West-Bryan.    86-78 Bellevue West

Chucky Hepburn with 24

Nico Felici with 18. I hear he has an offer from Northern Iowa

Grixby with 25 for Bryan

Udofia with 23

Papio South-Burke.  68-61 PL South

Lok Wur with 29 points 11 rebounds for PL South. He continues to put up big numbers

Burke was led by Xavier Watts with 18.

Xavier Watts is securing a lot of interest and offers for his football prowess, is he getting any looks for basketball? Other than Max Preps, not much out on the Net.

Edited by Huskerpapa