In state kids?

Section_316

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Agree not to hijack Akol's thread.  My understanding from the other camp was that Aguek's "camp" supported the idea at the time it was presented and Miles' "camp" was surprised and taken aback at the public reaction that took place when they thought everything was agreed and a go.

Just to be clear, my knowledge of the situation comes from working at Omaha South during the time frame it went down. But none of my information is from South's coach or anyone from the Arop family. Just what I heard from other people in the building during that time period. So i am sure it was one sided news, which is why I wanted to emphasize there is always two sides to the story.

Nonetheless, glad to have Akol N.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thattimeofyearchanges said:

Not only jumps well, he uses either hand around the basket and has a decent looking shot. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So did Patton at that age.

Indeed, and Patton's progress was remarkable and he ended up at 7'. Shanklin is 6'7" and his feel for the game is a significant obstacle. Go actually watch him play a game and you'll see where I'm coming from. Shanklin's frame is better but if you're looking for 2020 bigs with upside Max Murrell at Millard North is much farther along (and even he is pretty raw). Murrell has an offer from UMKC right now and has been to Purdue and Iowa. 

What was the point of that comment, AuroranHusker? I have watched him play many, many times. I was simply saying he's got a lot of work to do before he's anything more than an NAIA/D-II prospect (which is what he currently is). 

Edited by Jacob Padilla

2 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Indeed, and Patton's progress was remarkable and he ended up at 7'. Shanklin is 6'7" and his feel for the game is a significant obstacle. Go actually watch him play a game and you'll see where I'm coming from. Shanklin's frame is better but if you're looking for 2020 bigs with upside Max Murrell at Millard North is much farther along (and even he is pretty raw). Murrell has an offer from UMKC right now and has been to Purdue and Iowa. 

What was the point of that comment, AuroranHusker? I have watched him play many, many times. I was simply saying he's got a lot of work to do before he's anything more than an NAIA/D-II prospect (which is what he currently is). 

It was a joke, I simply deleted it. No worries, mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 2:26 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

In case you missed it, @MikeSautterOWH said Omaha Central's John Tonje played himself onto the radar of Division I coaches at last weekend's AAU tournament in Indianapolis http://bit.ly/2HOqum2 

Tonje is flat killing it this year so far. If we get some attrition I would not be against taking a flyer, he can fill it up. Has to be schools starting to offer unless there are unknown issues.

27 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Big time matchup tonight out at Bellevue West between Bell West and Omaha Central. Chucky Hepburn vs. John Tonje. Would be a better matchup if Central had LaTrell Wrightsell available but still will be plenty of talent on display

‘That will be good. Ton of talent last night when Central played Millard North

Some Saturday Highlights:

Donavan Williams 21 pts 7 assists 8 rebounds in win over LSW

Hunter Sallis with 19 in win vs Papio South

Chucky Hepburn with 24 in win over Central. 14 were from the line. (Tonje with 22 in the loss)

Arop with 20 in win over Elkhorn South (Jace Piatkowski with 15 in the loss)

Yesterday the box score for Bryan listed an Amos Gregory. Today it is Sam Gregory. anyone know if it is a relation?

Bryan also has Jonathan Montalvo, I assume it is Ethans brother. He was a stud. Javen Udofia had 26 tonight. 

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Bottom line, we have some ballers in our state this year.

100% think that the quality of basketball is going up in our state.  I was talking to someone the other day and they had a theory about why this might be true.  Their theory was this...

Nebraska was everything in the early 90's, late 90's in football.  So when little kids were growing up, they watched Nebraska football.  They wanted to be Nebraska football players.  However, there was a huge lull in our football program from the 2000's through now.  Combine that with fewer tackle football leagues for the youth players and all the stuff coming out about concussions and parents started to put their best athletic kids into basketball.  When you play basketball from an early age, and the more athletes you can get into basketball from an early age, the more the players will be better later on.  The kids in high school now and the graduates of the last few years when we have produced the most talent in-state in a long time were born in the late 90's and early 2000's.  

It's like USA soccer.  We have a few ballers in soccer from the US, but compared to the rest of the world, we are not even close.  However, we are starting to get some of our younger players involved in soccer.  Some of our better athletes are choosing the soccer path.  Now you are seeing a little bit about the rewards from that in terms of players like Pulisic, Sergent, Weah, etc.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

100% think that the quality of basketball is going up in our state.  I was talking to someone the other day and they had a theory about why this might be true.  Their theory was this...

Nebraska was everything in the early 90's, late 90's in football.  So when little kids were growing up, they watched Nebraska football.  They wanted to be Nebraska football players.  However, there was a huge lull in our football program from the 2000's through now.  Combine that with fewer tackle football leagues for the youth players and all the stuff coming out about concussions and parents started to put their best athletic kids into basketball.  When you play basketball from an early age, and the more athletes you can get into basketball from an early age, the more the players will be better later on.  The kids in high school now and the graduates of the last few years when we have produced the most talent in-state in a long time were born in the late 90's and early 2000's.  

It's like USA soccer.  We have a few ballers in soccer from the US, but compared to the rest of the world, we are not even close.  However, we are starting to get some of our younger players involved in soccer.  Some of our better athletes are choosing the soccer path.  Now you are seeing a little bit about the rewards from that in terms of players like Pulisic, Sergent, Weah, etc.

Specific states or regions have the "infrastructure" to produce high level athletes in certain sports. Basketball never had that in Nebraska until recently. 

The big thing today is creating competitive year round basketball for hoopers in Nebraska. I think that creates more prospects, plus more exposure, for those prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Which Central kid?  Are you talking John Tonje?  He's a senior, right?

Seems to be the one. Just read a couple of articles on him. Looks like he’s just now getting the notice of lower D1 schools (UNO, Fairfield). Seems like the type that wouldn’t get a look unless we needed a last minute lottery ticket.