In state kids?

Section_316

I stopped by the OSA/Creighton Prep Fall League in Council Bluffs this morning before the football game to check out some Nebrasketball targets. Here's a few highlights if anyone is interested. The last clip of Donovan Williams is him hitting a 3-pointer to tie the game plus a foul, and he hit the free throw which proved to be the game-winner. My favorite play I saw this morning was the up-and-under lefty scoop by Chucky Hepburn. Kid is ridiculous.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

OWH lists 24 scholarship players who've played HS ball in Nebraska (at one time or another) on current D-1 rosters (and 5 walk-ons):

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/nebraskans-appear-on-division-i-college-basketball-rosters-to-open/article_fbfc3e1b-7de7-5841-b618-2a996b49274f.html

Of the 29 total, 4 are at NU and 6 at UNO, so that leaves 18 scholarship players and 1 walk-on at out-of-state schools - more than I would've guessed. And there's plenty more D-1 talent on the way - great to see Nebraska kids having more and more opportunities.

And if we need further proof at Nebraska kids are smarter than average, 0 of the 29 are at that blue school. 

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

I stopped by the OSA/Creighton Prep Fall League in Council Bluffs this morning before the football game to check out some Nebrasketball targets. Here's a few highlights if anyone is interested. The last clip of Donovan Williams is him hitting a 3-pointer to tie the game plus a foul, and he hit the free throw which proved to be the game-winner. My favorite play I saw this morning was the up-and-under lefty scoop by Chucky Hepburn. Kid is ridiculous.

who do you see as the leader at this point on getting a commit from Chucky??

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Yeah.  And one they redshirted.  The other they sent off to prep school first.  What’s with that?

I'm not quite sure what your question is here but the reason is because that's what was best for both of them. Patton wasn't ready to play at all when he got to campus; that redshirt year made a huge difference for him. As for Shereef, he's young for his class and still has some physical development to go, plus it gives him separation from Marcus Zegarowski, the point guard they already had committed in the 2018 class.

2 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I'm not quite sure what your question is here but the reason is because that's what was best for both of them. Patton wasn't ready to play at all when he got to campus; that redshirt year made a huge difference for him. As for Shereef, he's young for his class and still has some physical development to go, plus it gives him separation from Marcus Zegarowski, the point guard they already had committed in the 2018 class.

I think you know exactly what he was asking/saying.  Creighton found diamonds in the rough and essentially slowed them down. The stars aligned, and it worked perfectly. OTOH, Miles tries to tell Aguek to take a year and gets vilified by Omahans. Perception is that NE is out with the Nebraska, specifically Omaha, kids.  Now that there is bunch of talent in NE, that perception is changing. 

To play devils advocate, Miles gets vilified bc he switched up from what the original deal was. The original deal wasnt for Arop to go to prep school, that was something that was dropped on him in late summer before his senior year.

In the instances for Creighton, redshirting/prep school was a part of the original plan and something the recruits were on board with.

Two different scenarios.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

To play devils advocate, Miles gets vilified bc he switched up from what the original deal was. The original deal wasnt for Arop to go to prep school, that was something that was dropped on him in late summer before his senior year.

In the instances for Creighton, redshirting/prep school was a part of the original plan and something the recruits were on board with.

Two different scenarios.

If you're truly on board, you will do what is best for the team.

2 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

...and this is why I believe Brady should redshirt.  Mikey should have redshirted and that bugs me to this day.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

Two different scenarios.

The original deal didn’t expect him to have a horrible injury and cause him to lose a year of growth. In fairness they were wanting him to get that year of time back. 

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

The only point is this:  you’ve got first rounders sitting out.  And one played only one year in college.  That’s odd.  Period.  No judgment.  Just odd,

They weren't first rounders when they got there. And my mind automatically went to Shereef on the prep school comment because they actually did suggest that to him, rather than to Khyri Thomas who you were actually referring to. Khyri didn't really have a choice. Prep school was an academic thing for him, and the military lifestyle there made a huge impact on him and the player he eventually became.

5 hours ago, khoock said:

Two different scenarios.

I've made this point elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

...and this is why I believe Brady should redshirt.  Mikey should have redshirted and that bugs me to this day.

Brady has made some very noticeable progress since he first got to campus, but I still believe this as well. Not sure he's going to get that chance though.

8 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

The original deal didn’t expect him to have a horrible injury and cause him to lose a year of growth. In fairness they were wanting him to get that year of time back. 

True. But it was more of the timing that had the ppl in Agueks camp so upset. The idea wasnt proposed until AFTER his last go around on the AAU circuit (where they felt he didnt get much attention bc he had been a hard commit for 2+ years).

But once again, im not picking sides. College basketball and recruiting are cutthroat businesses nowadays. Just stating that Creighton's instances of redshirting/prep schools with local kids is different bc it was a part of the schools/athletes original plan.

Anyways, glad Akol is N.

15 hours ago, khoock said:

Two different scenarios.

Arop suffering a catastrophic leg injury that caused him to lose an entire season of his prep career after he committed was also not part of the deal.

And going to prep for a year was MANIFESTLY a good move for him.

While it stinks how things ended up with Aguek I think a big part of the angst our way that comes along with Miles not being able to publicly comment about it was

1. This would sour Nebraska kids on us

2. This would kill our chances with Akol

From where I"m sitting seems like we're good.

57 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Arop suffering a catastrophic leg injury that caused him to lose an entire season of his prep career after he committed was also not part of the deal.

And going to prep for a year was MANIFESTLY a good move for him.

Once again the issue for Aguek's camp was the timing. He had been a hard commit for 2+ years. Miles had not hinted at him going to a prep school until AFTER his last go around in AAU ball. Aguek's camp felt slighted bc he no longer had an offer from Nebraska for the original year he committed AND prime recruiting season had ended. So they felt like Nebraska left him with little to no choices bc of the timing.

Now there is always two sides of the story. But i dont want to hijack Akol's thread. I am glad he is on board and am glad that he and his family are mature enough to allow his recruiting process to truly be his own and not in fluenced by his older brothers experience.

That, i think we can all agree on.