In state kids?

Section_316

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 12:55 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Jasen Green is planning on going to Millard North. His sister is a junior there right now, I believe. He's about 6'4" as an 8th grader and their dad is about 6'7" or 6'8". He' been playing up a grade on Chucky Hepburn's AAU/club team for a while. His ball skills still need a lot of work but his physical tools at this stage are terrific and he has a lot of game. He's definitely the guy to watch in that 2022 class. 

I'm a big fan of Hepburn. He's the best player in that class right now by a considerable margin in my mind (and that class is pretty good). His feel for the game is tremendous and he's a really solid athlete to go with it. I just wonder about how much more he's going to grow; he's already taller than his older brother and their dad is not a tall man.

Jacob, What are your thoughts on Max Murrell at Millard North? I used to play against his old man back in the day and he could really get up. Him Rueschhoff and Jung should be pretty good core I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Jacob, What are your thoughts on Max Murrell at Millard North? I used to play against his old man back in the day and he could really get up. Him Rueschhoff and Jung should be pretty good core I would imagine.

He probably has as much upside as anyone in that 2020 class outside of Donovan Williams (Bryson Williams' brother). 6'7" or 6'8", long arms, good athleticism, outstanding shot-blocking instincts and a soft touch with the ability to step out to the 3-point line and knock down shots. Drawbacks are he's super-skinny, still a bit raw and his knees are somewhat questionable.

You left out Bret Porter and Hunter Sallis in that MN core. That's probably their starting five for next season, assuming Rueschhoff can stay healthy. Sallis is a 2021 wing player who picked up on offer from Darian DeVries at Drake recently (he plays with DeVries' son Tucker for OSA). That's a really nice core to build around, but then again, I thought MN would be a top 5-10 team this year with everything they brought back and they finished .500.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He probably has as much upside as anyone in that 2020 class outside of Donovan Williams (Bryson Williams' brother). 6'7" or 6'8", long arms, good athleticism, outstanding shot-blocking instincts and a soft touch with the ability to step out to the 3-point line and knock down shots. Drawbacks are he's super-skinny, still a bit raw and his knees are somewhat questionable.

You left out Bret Porter and Hunter Sallis in that MN core. That's probably their starting five for next season, assuming Rueschhoff can stay healthy. Sallis is a 2021 wing player who picked up on offer from Darian DeVries at Drake recently (he plays with DeVries' son Tucker for OSA). That's a really nice core to build around, but then again, I thought MN would be a top 5-10 team this year with everything they brought back and they finished .500.

Thanks for the info, good to hear on Murrell. I did forget about Porter but did not know much anything about Sallis but he sounds promising. Will have to check out some of their games next winter. I keep hoping Jake will grow some more and fill out as I think he has excellent skills and is a great kid.

29 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Hail to the Spartans

Stand up and fight

Onward to victory!

Spartans won't fall

We conquer all.

To win a victory!

Proud are the Spartans

Charge with your might

Fight for the blue and white

Lincoln East Spartans

Lincoln East Spartans

Victory is ours tonight.

Fight, Fight

Fight Fight Fight Blue and White

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

Hail to the Spartans

Stand up and fight

Onward to victory!

Spartans won't fall

We conquer all.

To win a victory!

Proud are the Spartans

Charge with your might

Fight for the blue and white

Lincoln East Spartans

Lincoln East Spartans

Victory is ours tonight.

Fight, Fight

Fight Fight Fight Blue and White

Proud East Alum as well! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 6:53 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Who we have and haven't offered is water under the bridge, as far as I'm concerned. The greater point is that local kids should be part of our overall strategy. I think when MIles and Doc both arrived, one of the first things they heard was, "You have to go out of state to recruit because Nebraska doesn't have any talent." So I just don't think they saw any sense in putting the resources into it. I think our recruitment locally really doesn't involve much more than following up when some local coach calls them and tells them to give a kid a look. 

The basketball scene, in Omaha especially, has changed. A lot more athletes are skipping football now, and AAU play has increased exposure. You can see how many more kids are getting scholarships now to lower level schools. There's not a giant dividing line that says, "he can only play in the Summit League." There's a lot of grey area, and some of those kids could find a role on a Big Ten team. 

I get that this isn't a cauldron of bigtime talent that will take you to the Final Four, but we're just trying to get to the dance. Roster stability is incredibly valuable. Having a couple local kids improves your chances of having four year players who can contribute in a big way by their senior year. Giving a marginal out of state players a scholarship usually means more roster turnover. 

I don't think we have a strategy locally and have not established many strong ties with local AAU or high school coaches. The main point with dragging Thomas and Patton into the conversation is that we didn't put the work into figuring out if they could play. I suspect we gave Arop a scholarship too early because of the embarrassment of missing on those two. We didn't do the work on Arop either. I love this board for its (relative) lack of negativity, so I didn't post this earlier but there were people in the basketball community who were surprised that NU offered him so early. His reputation at that time was that he was a terrific athlete but lacked fluid motor skills. They weren't down on him, they just were surprised that somebody would offer that early before he showed he could develop high level basketball skills. Maybe it was just talk from some local magpies, but I heard it nevertheless.

I know everyone thinks we have bigtime talent now, but really all we've done is edge over the line into Big Ten level. My fear is that when we get to next year, when we could be ready to make a move, we'll be battling depth issues because we'll lose another couple kids after this season. I think we could have made a move this year if we had a couple of experienced seniors on the team, and there are probably a couple of Nebraska kids currently on other schools' rosters who could have provided that. 

I don't want to play the "well, who would you trade off the roster?" game. It's a joke for anonymous message board posters to do that, as if they have any talent evaluation skills. I'm talking about an overall strategy: Build roster stability with a couple local kids you can count on. And what I'm saying is that we're not putting the resources into finding out who they are.

OK, quoting yourself is bad form. In addition, you could go back through this thread and point out a number of my comments that look like crap now. But this is from recruiting 2 years ago, and I ask, has any of this changed? 

I am hopeful that it has, based on getting Brady Heiman. I'm thinking he will show that Nebraska kids should be a valuable piece of our recruiting strategy. I also think Jalyn Hunter's Omaha connections will help going forward. 

And after wading through this thread to find this post, I also ask, whatever happened to Junub Char? Man, a lot people were excited about him. 

On 7/13/2018 at 10:09 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

OK, quoting yourself is bad form. In addition, you could go back through this thread and point out a number of my comments that look like crap now. But this is from recruiting 2 years ago, and I ask, has any of this changed? 

I am hopeful that it has, based on getting Brady Heiman. I'm thinking he will show that Nebraska kids should be a valuable piece of our recruiting strategy. I also think Jalyn Hunter's Omaha connections will help going forward. 

And after wading through this thread to find this post, I also ask, whatever happened to Junub Char? Man, a lot people were excited about him. 

Junub is going to the Skill Factory prep school in Atlanta next season. Same place most of the Sudanese hoopers in Nebraska/Omaha are being funneled. Wanjang Tut went there and was an academic redshirt at UNO this past season. Esahia Nyiwe from Omaha Northwest went there this past year and is now going to juco anyway at Iowa Western. Aguek Arop and Aguir Agau both went there as well, but Aguek especially had no academic problems like Wan and Esahia did.

As for Shiloh, yes, he broke his wrist last summer. It didn't heal correctly so they had to re-break it, which is why he missed the whole high school season. That was a killer for him because it happened right when things were starting to click for him offensively. At that point, I thought he had a chance to be worth a look for Creighton/Nebraska if he had another couple of inches of growth in him and if he continued to improve his skill, but he's still about 6'7" and looked so shaky offensively when he came back. He lost a ton of skill development opportunity when he needed it the most. He looked really rusty in the spring and even some in June but has really started to put it all together again the last few weeks and has defense has been strong regardless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 2:39 PM, hhcdimes said:

Has anyone noticed we've offered one of the top players in Nebraska over a 5 year period

2017 - Aguek Arop (oops)

2018 - Brady Heiman (signed)

2019 - Akol Arop

2020 - Donovan WIlliams

2021 - Chucky Hepburn 

Now with Williams committed and stating publicly he's going to help recruit Akol and Hepburn to the program can we say perhaps we're starting to turn the corner on getting kids to stay home?

Is this a winning strategy?

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, 49r said:

Is this a winning strategy?

If we're banking on these guys being the best players on the team? Probably not. 

Maybe one (or more or none) could be B1G first team/future NBA players but I don't think we can bank on it. I do think these guys are more likely to stick around if we end up recruiting over them. If one values roster stability this should help.