In state kids?

Section_316

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Shareef play again tonight he has improved a lot. Very quick and was the best player on the court by a long way. Someone to keep an eye on to see how he matures. On the other hand Anthony Bratton plays for Burke now and he already looks like a full grown man. Had a monster dunk and 20 plus but did not get to see much of his outside shot at all.

6 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's not the name of my dead horse.

I know, it's probably not a good day to be kidding around.  This is an intriguing development though.  I don't believe I've heard anything about us looking at this kid.  It just seemed to be coming from nowhere.

But even before I saw you post the tweet about them visiting Creighton, I was intrigued.  What do we know about him?  Does he truly have interest in Nebraska?  Our track record with in-state kids has been abysmal of late, is this one that we would/should be going after, etc.?

38 minutes ago, 49r said:

I know, it's probably not a good day to be kidding around.  This is an intriguing development though.  I don't believe I've heard anything about us looking at this kid.  It just seemed to be coming from nowhere.

But even before I saw you post the tweet about them visiting Creighton, I was intrigued.  What do we know about him?  Does he truly have interest in Nebraska?  Our track record with in-state kids has been abysmal of late, is this one that we would/should be going after, etc.?

To me we're a team who likes a range of 6'6" to 6'8" guys who can guard multiple positions and do multiple things. That's sort of what we saw in Arop. The problem with that is Nebraska doesn't necessarily produce skilled guys like this. Doesn't is seem like Arop would be a 3 or even 4 star kid if he was a guard in Chicago instead of a PF/C in Nebraska? 

If Nebraska produces an Ed Chang, you look at him. Otherwise, it makes a lot of sense to pull these guys from Chicago, KC, etc.

To go with all those 6'6" to 6'8" guys you need some PGs and Centers. This is where you're going to have guys that have been playing the position and should have some skill there. Is there a mentally tough guy with handles playing PG in Nebraska?  Can he either shoot or drive for contact?   We should be looking at that kid instead of flipping up Tarin Smiths and Evelyn Bakaris because even if your Nebraska PG doesn't amount to a ton at least he's some tough SOB you can rely on to handle the ball if his career amounts to backing up the Glynn Watson type guy you landed. Is there a guy in Nebraska who is over 6'9" and is good enough to start on his HS team as a fresh/soph? At this point you need to be in detective mode if you weren't already up to speed on tall people who live in Nebraska. When did their growth spurt start? How about the parents? Did they play sports? (Mike Daum's mother is in the Wyoming Athletics Hall of Fame)  Big men are a crapshoot anyway so figuring out their genetics as well as their commitment to basketball (Do you play because you like basketball or because you're tall) will go a long way towards whether or not you should take a chance.

Brady's father Tracy was an All-American high jumper at Chadron State. We should be all over evaluating this guy IMO.

Also, there is this LeeBo article on us looking for big men which Brady's mom retweeted on twitter last year.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-tim-miles-re-evaluating-his-approach-to-luring-big/article_f3c5ada7-393d-53c4-a62e-00a98695b762.html

“Maybe I should just look at it as, ‘Let’s take this kid, develop him, and see what happens.’ Quite frankly, off the top of my head, I can’t name anybody I think we missed on to develop as a center.”

How well would a team compete in the Big 10 this year if all the current D-1 players at other schools were at NU?  Here is a potential roster:

Akoy Agau: Georgetown (Central) 4-5

Justin Patton: Creighton (North) 5

Merrill Holden: Iowa State (L High) 4

Thik Bol: So Illinois (Benson) 4-5

Mike Daum: So Dakota St (Kimball) 3-4

Tyler Hagedorn: So Dakota (Norfolk) 4-3

Tre-Shawn Thurman: UNO (Central) 3

Mitch Hahn: UNO (Fremont) 2-3

Khyri Thomas: Creighton (Benson) 2-3

Nick Billingsley: Texas San Antonio (North/Central) 3

Jalen Bradley: Oral Roberts (Norfolk) 1-2

Tra-deon Hollins:UNO (Central) 1-2

Tristan Simpson: South Dakota (L N Star) 1

Probable Starters: 1-Bradley/Hollins, 2-Thomas, 3-Daum 4-Agau 5-Patton

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

To me we're a team who likes a range of 6'6" to 6'8" guys who can guard multiple positions and do multiple things. That's sort of what we saw in Arop. The problem with that is Nebraska doesn't necessarily produce skilled guys like this. Doesn't is seem like Arop would be a 3 or even 4 star kid if he was a guard in Chicago instead of a PF/C in Nebraska? 

If Nebraska produces an Ed Chang, you look at him. Otherwise, it makes a lot of sense to pull these guys from Chicago, KC, etc.

To go with all those 6'6" to 6'8" guys you need some PGs and Centers. This is where you're going to have guys that have been playing the position and should have some skill there. Is there a mentally tough guy with handles playing PG in Nebraska?  Can he either shoot or drive for contact?   We should be looking at that kid instead of flipping up Tarin Smiths and Evelyn Bakaris because even if your Nebraska PG doesn't amount to a ton at least he's some tough SOB you can rely on to handle the ball if his career amounts to backing up the Glynn Watson type guy you landed. Is there a guy in Nebraska who is over 6'9" and is good enough to start on his HS team as a fresh/soph? At this point you need to be in detective mode if you weren't already up to speed on tall people who live in Nebraska. When did their growth spurt start? How about the parents? Did they play sports? (Mike Daum's mother is in the Wyoming Athletics Hall of Fame)  Big men are a crapshoot anyway so figuring out their genetics as well as their commitment to basketball (Do you play because you like basketball or because you're tall) will go a long way towards whether or not you should take a chance.

Brady's father Tracy was an All-American high jumper at Chadron State. We should be all over evaluating this guy IMO.

If the kid is 6'10 his dad had to be 6'11+. He is pretty skinny but have not seen him play but worth keeping our eyes on for sure. Think UNO has offered him.