In state kids?

Section_316

Miles was in attendance to see Allen today

Assuming an offer would be coming soon if we're gonna pursue him.

With the number of Nebraska basketball related social media accounts following him it's probably a matter of when.

Looks like a South Dakota/Craig Smith offer is coming as well

• 2 weeks later...

NAIA has a Division II?  Wonder what the difference is between that and NAIA I, since I thought NAIA schools don't have athletic scholarships.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

Peru State is the only Div. 1 NAIA school in Nebraska.

There are 94 Div. 1 schools and 134 Div. 2 schools in NAIA.

Scholarships are not offered in Div. 3 of the NCAA, by the way.

For all other info on the NAIA itself, there is ample resource on the NAIA.org website entitled "NAIA 101":

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=209810832

There is only like 4 conferences in NAIA that play football so there are only like 50 or less teams that play football in NAIA so only one level, but a bunch show up for the basketball season.

Peru State signed 17 basketball players to join the 5 that stayed from last year. They went to the national tournament last year.   One of them is BJ Day.

The NAIA is one really interesting group of people.  Renegade is a word that comes to mind when talking about NAIA, kind of like some JC's can be.

There is only like 4 conferences in NAIA that play football so there are only like 50 or less teams that play football in NAIA so only one level, but a bunch show up for the basketball season.

Peru State signed 17 basketball players to join the 5 that stayed from last year. They went to the national tournament last year. One of them is BJ Day.

The NAIA is one really interesting group of people. Renegade is a word that comes to mind when talking about NAIA, kind of like some JC's can be.

I thought BJ Day retired from basketball bc if injuries?

Peru State signed 17 basketball players to join the 5 that stayed from last year. They went to the national tournament last year. One of them is BJ Day.

The NAIA is one really interesting group of people. Renegade is a word that comes to mind when talking about NAIA, kind of like some JC's can be.

I thought BJ Day retired from basketball bc if injuries?

Don't throw him on dead cart yet; He's getting better!

NAIA is super weird and scholarship distribution in football is kinda of like distribution in college baseball cut throat as hell. I remember one year a kid got a full scholarship was supposed be the next big thing, coach gave him

Money over three juniors that had been contributing and asking for a little help to offset tuition and a meal plan. When the kid turned out to be a wet turd couldn't block or pick up the schemes it got pretty ugly with parents and boosters

Recap on some of the guys' offers (skipping some lesser ones):

Teddy Allen: West Virginia, DePaul, Va Tech, Iowa State, Cincinnati, TCU (Jamie Dixon there now), UNO

Isaiah PB Chandler: UTEP (Tim Floyd), Loyola and S. Illinois of the Valley, Ball State, Buffalo and Bowling Green of the MAC, St. Bonaventure, UNO 

Logan Strom: Indiana State and Southern Illinois of the Valley, Miami and Kent State of the MAC, about half the Summit, including UNO

David Wingett: SDSU and ND of Summit

Ayo Akinwole: UNO commit

Marques Wilson (Omaha Elite): Evansville, Lehigh, Bucknell, Verbal Commits still lists Iowa State but I think that was withdrawn when Hoiberg left.

Aguir Agau: UMKC 

I'm guessing Chandler and Wingett could pick up better offers as slots start filling up for the better schools. A coach told me Chandler's inconsistency hurts him. For Wingett, there are questions about whether he has the muscle to hold up in a top league. Commitments now are based largely on summer play, schools can bring in kids for visits this fall and work them out, so that might open some more doors. 

It seems like maybe we're waiting on Allen unti after he takes the ACT. Clearly he's talented enough to play here, considering the offers he's collected. He had an unofficial at Creighton last week. Haven't heard anything about that, but figure we'd be in better position since they already have two 2017 commitments from wings. 

The TCU offer is interesting because Allen is the type of big, physical player Jamie Dixon used to have at Pitt (their roster if full of "thick" guys like Sheldon Jeter). And I mentioned earlier on one of the threads that the W. Va. offer is pretty surprising, considering they like to get out after you on defense and run (79 ppg). So basically two programs with different philosophies, but both like him. (Probably could have posted this on the Teddy Allen thread.)

NAIA has a Division II? Wonder what the difference is between that and NAIA I, since I thought NAIA schools don't have athletic scholarships. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There's very little difference between the elite of NAIA D1 and the elite of NAIA D2. It's a regional thing. Peru State has been "D1" for a while now, and they regularly lost to the Midland's/Doane's/Morningside's of the GPAC. Until Behrens took over, and is running it like a well-oiled transfer market machine. Best way to win in the upper levels of NAIA. HS kids who are good enough to win you tournament games aren't coming to the NAIA out of high school. But they come after they bounce out of a couple places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...