In state kids?

Section_316

Saw him play a couple times this season - had 10+ blocks and 10+ rebounds in both games, but he definitely was not featured on offense and rarely touched the ball in the offensive flow.

Did a nice job blocking shots without fouling and holding his own on the defensive block, even though he doesn't weigh much. Of course he was playing vs kids several inches shorter in the games I saw.

He definitely moved better and was more athletic than I was expecting, but, like most big kids, has a long ways to go.

Can't teach 6-10, 6-11, or even 6-9 3/4 ;) so worth keeping an eye on with 2 years of HS ball remaining. UNO was smart to offer him early. 

Saw him play a couple times this season - had 10+ blocks and 10+ rebounds in both games, but he definitely was not featured on offense and rarely touched the ball in the offensive flow.

Did a nice job blocking shots without fouling and holding his own on the defensive block, even though he doesn't weigh much. Of course he was playing vs kids several inches shorter in the games I saw.

He definitely moved better and was more athletic than I was expecting, but, like most big kids, has a long ways to go.

Can't teach 6-10, 6-11, or even 6-9 3/4 ;) so worth keeping an eye on with 2 years of HS ball remaining. UNO was smart to offer him early. 

Mavs redshirted 6-10 Zach Pirog this year. Kid's chest must have measured about 28 inches, so we'll see if they've beefed him up enough to play. Heiman looks like he's about the same size.

Little brother played against him in high school this past year, was guarded by a 6'3 player the whole game and was outmatched physically and didn't score more than 10 points. Is about 6'9 180 pounds.

I saw him play and he was guarded by 6'1 kids at times but to say the offense ignored him was an understatement. I don't know if the coaches won't run anything for him because he can't post up or he can't post up because his coaches don't know how to teach him, but regardless, Plattesmith is wasting a kid that might come along once in a coaching lifetime at a school that size.

Can't teach 6-10, 6-11, or even 6-9 3/4 ;) so worth keeping an eye on with 2 years of HS ball remaining. UNO was smart to offer him early.

Mavs redshirted 6-10 Zach Pirog this year. Kid's chest must have measured about 28 inches, so we'll see if they've beefed him up enough to play. Heiman looks like he's about the same size.
Zach Pirog played this year and did not redshirt. Rarely played any meaningful minutes but still played nonetheless.

Can't teach 6-10, 6-11, or even 6-9 3/4 ;) so worth keeping an eye on with 2 years of HS ball remaining. UNO was smart to offer him early.

Zach Pirog played this year and did not redshirt. Rarely played any meaningful minutes but still played nonetheless.

My bad, you're right. I went to a couple of their games and didn't see him play, thought he had redshirted.

• 2 months later...

I got a chance to see how some of the kids looked this weekend. Bratton and Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler looked like they've made the biggest jump in the offseason. Bratton was trying to expand his range last winter, but still had some room to go. He was hitting some turnarounds from 15+ over the weekend and showing some ball skills. And he's still the most physically ready guy of the 2017 guys, imo. Looks like he's 30, kind of like Shawn Kemp used to in college. He's still at the that tween size, though, not quite big enough to play 4 at a high level, not quite quick enough to play 3. Definitely a Summit level guy at this point, with a chance to move up if he can hit 3s regularly. I wouldn't be shocked a higher level program took a chance on him.

Chandler is impressive. He's strong and he can jump, has pretty good skills around the basket. UNO's offered, and he would be my top candidate for "kid who does well with the Mavs, sparking message board chatter about why we didn't offer him." As with Bratton, I wouldn't be shocked if he got high offers at some point. He physically reminds me of the big guys that team like Georgetown and Pitt like to put at the 4. Definitely could play some center, too. I don't know a lot about him personally, other than there used to be questions about him asserting himself. He's doing that now. 

Regarding the debate about Aguek's offensive abilities, I don't think they matter as far as playing time for freshman year. They're good enough. He has the ability to be a big-time defensive player. His hands and feet are so quick, and he's so strong that he'll play. The only guy who gave him any problems over the weekend was Marques Wilson, the Oklahoma kid who plays with the local kids. 

Chang's a funny kid, great personality. He's playing some with Aguek's team this summer, but he doesn't try to take over. But there are moments when you see things that nobody else does, and it's easy to figure out the high-level interest. Even if you guard him successfully with your feet, he can get off the floor so quickly, and his arms are so long that he always seem to have an open shot. 

So fwiw, I'd watch Bratton and Chandler play in the top tourneys this summer and make a decision after that. I'm not so sure I wouldn't offer Wilson right now, although homestate OU and OSU haven't so what do I know? Here's a recent video:

https://twitter.com/PrepHoopsOK/status/745351871875866625

Pretty entertaining to see so many good local kids in the gym at the same time this weekend. Might have been a dozen D-1s between the 2017 and 2018 classes.

I got a chance to see how some of the kids looked this weekend. Bratton and Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler looked like they've made the biggest jump in the offseason. Bratton was trying to expand his range last winter, but still had some room to go. He was hitting some turnarounds from 15+ over the weekend and showing some ball skills. And he's still the most physically ready guy of the 2017 guys, imo. Looks like he's 30, kind of like Shawn Kemp used to in college. He's still at the that tween size, though, not quite big enough to play 4 at a high level, not quite quick enough to play 3. Definitely a Summit level guy at this point, with a chance to move up if he can hit 3s regularly. I wouldn't be shocked a higher level program took a chance on him.

Chandler is impressive. He's strong and he can jump, has pretty good skills around the basket. UNO's offered, and he would be my top candidate for "kid who does well with the Mavs, sparking message board chatter about why we didn't offer him." As with Bratton, I wouldn't be shocked if he got high offers at some point. He physically reminds me of the big guys that team like Georgetown and Pitt like to put at the 4. Definitely could play some center, too. I don't know a lot about him personally, other than there used to be questions about him asserting himself. He's doing that now. 

Regarding the debate about Aguek's offensive abilities, I don't think they matter as far as playing time for freshman year. They're good enough. He has the ability to be a big-time defensive player. His hands and feet are so quick, and he's so strong that he'll play. The only guy who gave him any problems over the weekend was Marques Wilson, the Oklahoma kid who plays with the local kids. 

Chang's a funny kid, great personality. He's playing some with Aguek's team this summer, but he doesn't try to take over. But there are moments when you see things that nobody else does, and it's easy to figure out the high-level interest. Even if you guard him successfully with your feet, he can get off the floor so quickly, and his arms are so long that he always seem to have an open shot. 

So fwiw, I'd watch Bratton and Chandler play in the top tourneys this summer and make a decision after that. I'm not so sure I wouldn't offer Wilson right now, although homestate OU and OSU haven't so what do I know? Here's a recent video:

Pretty entertaining to see so many good local kids in the gym at the same time this weekend. Might have been a dozen D-1s between the 2017 and 2018 classes.

Thanks for the update, did you see the Allen kid from Boys Town play?

Yes, really impressive. He hasn't been around the area as long as the other guys so I haven't heard as much about him. But he torched Aguek's team, and they had unbelievable athletes. I'm sure he'll get a D-1 offer from somebody, not sure how high, though. Some of the stuff I pass along is personal observations, but some of it is from people who know more than I do.

The Char kid from Burke is a year younger than these guys, but he still looked like one of the top players. Like I said, probably a dozen D-1 kids there, maybe more. Aguek, Ed Chang and the Wilson kid to me are high level kids for sure, maybe Chandler too. Bratton and Allen could definitely play high level, but they'd need the right situation. Neither has either the top-drawer skills or athleticism to get ranked top 100, but they can definitely play. We already have Morrow and Horne playing as undersized 4s or I'd start beating the drum for Bratton. He's not as athletic as Ed, but he has a better game away from the basket, imo.

Strom and Small (Iowa kid playing with Omahans) probably are Summit level. Maybe Akoy's little brother too. Amazing talent, I'd attribute it to (1) the Sudanese kids (2) Omaha getting its act together on AAU ball. Three teams are capable of playing in high level tournaments. Keep in mind that Omaha Elite won big national tournaments as U16s, and they just lost to Aguek's team. There's a couple of decent outstate teams, but they just get overshadowed by what's going on in Omaha right now. 

Eager to see who else gets offered in the next three weeks, when all the coaches get a look at these kids. 

Yes, really impressive. He hasn't been around the area as long as the other guys so I haven't heard as much about him. But he torched Aguek's team, and they had unbelievable athletes. I'm sure he'll get a D-1 offer from somebody, not sure how high, though. Some of the stuff I pass along is personal observations, but some of it is from people who know more than I do.

The Char kid from Burke is a year younger than these guys, but he still looked like one of the top players. Like I said, probably a dozen D-1 kids there, maybe more. Aguek, Ed Chang and the Wilson kid to me are high level kids for sure, maybe Chandler too. Bratton and Allen could definitely play high level, but they'd need the right situation. Neither has either the top-drawer skills or athleticism to get ranked top 100, but they can definitely play. We already have Morrow and Horne playing as undersized 4s or I'd start beating the drum for Bratton. He's not as athletic as Ed, but he has a better game away from the basket, imo.

Strom and Small (Iowa kid playing with Omahans) probably are Summit level. Maybe Akoy's little brother too. Amazing talent, I'd attribute it to (1) the Sudanese kids (2) Omaha getting its act together on AAU ball. Three teams are capable of playing in high level tournaments. Keep in mind that Omaha Elite won big national tournaments as U16s, and they just lost to Aguek's team. There's a couple of decent outstate teams, but they just get overshadowed by what's going on in Omaha right now. 

Eager to see who else gets offered in the next three weeks, when all the coaches get a look at these kids. 

It has taken Omaha way too long to get a viable, competitive and continuing AAU program in place.  Thankfully, there are now quite a few up and running that are giving the kids opportunity to play and develop at earlier ages.  It has helped that there is a bit more talent as well.  One other very important factor is that kids are not being pushed toward football (and away from fall hoops programs) as much as they once were.

Long term, another D1 program at UNO should also serve as a stimulus for ongoing basketball interest. 

So, which of these kids should we offer that we haven't already offered?

Chandler may be the next kid to garner upper level scholarship offers.  There have been questions in the past about his work ethic and academic eligibility which have largely kept programs away from offering so far.  If he can clean up those question marks, you could see offers start to roll in.

Wingett is interesting.  There are obviously questions about the level he is playing at now and how he would compare against bigger, stronger and more athletic kids on a regular basis.  There are also some lingering academic questions (yes, his academic record was finally released last year, but many question why it took so long and what the delay may or may not mean).

This is interesting:

Evan Flood ‏@Evan_Flood  5h

Nebraska head coach Tim Miles watching @OmahaEliteAAU 2017 PF Logan Strom. @ny2lasports #Huskers

Seems like he would have been watching several other Elites ahead of Strom. Not sure we need another 6-7 guy to play the 4.

Perhaps Miles was there watching Poor Bear-Chandler...