In state kids?

Section_316

I don't think I've seen these names mentioned here, and it's way too early to know how good any of them will end up.

Brady Heiman is a sophomore from Platteview, is listed at 6'10", and was listed at 6'7" last year and 6'5" as an eighth grader - so he's probably not done growing. He's pretty thin, in one story this summer he was reported to be 6'8", 165.  He's averaging around 12 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks.

Malcolm Helmstadter-Whitlow is 6'0", 160, averaging 15 points for Lincoln Northeast so far as a freshman.

Also from LNE, Trace Tupper has apparently improved quite a bit, he averaged about 4 last year and about 15 so far this year. He's a 6'9" junior.

I don't think I've seen these names mentioned here, and it's way too early to know how good any of them will end up.

Brady Heiman is a sophomore from Platteview, is listed at 6'10", and was listed at 6'7" last year and 6'5" as an eighth grader - so he's probably not done growing. He's pretty thin, in one story this summer he was reported to be 6'8", 165. He's averaging around 12 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks.

Malcolm Helmstadter-Whitlow is 6'0", 160, averaging 15 points for Lincoln Northeast so far as a freshman.

Also from LNE, Trace Tupper has apparently improved quite a bit, he averaged about 4 last year and about 15 so far this year. He's a 6'9" junior.

Heiman moves well but is really physically weak right now. It appears no one has every taught him a post move and as if the Platteview coaches have no idea what to do with him. The don't really do anything at all to use the kid. Basically if he has potential it is being wasted right now until he plays for someone who knows how to teach and utilize a post player.

Helmstadter-Whitlow is going to be a very good player.  It will be interesting to see if he lets early success go to his head, or if he takes that "man" approach and continues to develop as a player, student and citizen. 

Dad held him back for an extra year so that he could be the best (or one of the best) in his class.  

Trace Tupper has the potential to be pretty good, but has to get stronger for sure. I have only seen him play once this year, but will get to see him more after the first of the year. Last year his hands were not real good, so it will be interesting to see if that has improved. He also has the habit of bringing the ball down low, but a lot of tall guys have that problem.

Helmstadter was held back, but from what I understand, he was really young for his class, so if that is correct, now he would be really old for his class!!!!  :) He started out the first few games this year really well, but the last couple not nearly as good. He had 10 turnovers in the last game. From what I have seen of him, I think he will continue to work hard. He needs to work on his outside shot and his foot quickness if he is going to be a D1 player. His court sense is really good.

Helmstadter would mean really, really good basketball blood lines.

The son of BJ or Amon I'm guessing?

Amon

Amon was a very smart player and played for a state champion team as a freshman, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he started that early, though. If BJ's athletic ability and size had been combined with Amon's smarts and poise, it would have equaled a B1G player. Any chance this young man will get there?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday kimball, NE native Mike Daum had a career high 23 points (9-11 FG shooting, 2-3 3pt) for s. dakota st. in a loss against IUPUI. He was in the 2014 recruiting class. Why take moses/hammond over this kid, I have no idea...

Averaging 12.6 ppg, 55% fg, 46% 3pt, 77% FT, only a redshirt freshman. 6'9 230lbs

Yesterday kimball, NE native Mike Daum had a career high 23 points (9-11 FG shooting, 2-3 3pt) for s. dakota st. in a loss against IUPUI. He was in the 2014 recruiting class. Why take moses/hammond over this kid, I have no idea...

Averaging 12.6 ppg, 55% fg, 46% 3pt, 77% FT, only a redshirt freshman. 6'9 230lbs

Because he is a Nebraska kid? It just seems like all of Nebraska's programs have gotten away from the home grown talent for one reason or another.

Seriously?!

Mike Daum had no stars from ESPN, no stars from Rivals, nothing from Scout.

Can you imagine the uproar if we'd taken him over Hammond (a three-star who flirted with the top 150) or Old Testament, who performed very well until breaking his hand.

Mike Daum may be a good player as a redshirt freshman in the Summit League. But let's not pretend that Tim Miles should have taken him back when he couldn't even get a single star rating.

Seriously?!

Can you imagine the uproar if we'd taken him over Hammond (a three-star who flirted with the top 150) or Old Testament, who performed very well until breaking his hand.

Mike Daum may be a good player as a redshirt freshman in the Summit League. But let's not pretend that Tim Miles should have taken him back when he couldn't even get a single star rating.

People did that when Miles was hired, then he took a team to the NCAA tournament in his second year and people were cool with it. There may have been an uproar when he would have signed, but if he turned into a capable player, people would have gotten over his lack of rated-ness. If he turns into something really, really good, there will be more of an outcry than there would have been if he had signed with such a low rating.

From Dirk yesterday, hadn't seen posted elsewhere:

Freshman Mike Daum from Kimball is a 6-foot-9, 230 pounder averaging 13 points and five rebounds for one of the top 100 basketball teams in the country. That’s impressive.

It brings me back to a frustrating topic for Nebrasketball fans.

Mike Gesell is on fire at Iowa, looking like an all-Big Ten point guard. At UNO, junior Tra-Deon Hollins leads the nation in steals. Sophomore Tre’Shawn Thurman is averaging 15 and eight.

At Creighton, freshman Khyri Thomas starts. Greg McDermott has stashed Justin Patton on his bench for next season. And Akoy Agau, who tore his ACL in October, should be a contributor at Georgetown next year. All are in-state kids. None signed with Dear Ole Nebraska U.

Put those five guys playing this year — Gesell, Hollins, Thomas, Thurman, Daum — against the Huskers right now. Who wins?

Heaven help me for using Dirk to back up my argument, but . . .

There exists within this program and its fan base the idea that "Nebraska doesn't have any basketball talent." It's just false. There may not be a superstar out there very often, but there are kids who can fill out our roster. Instead, we go outside and pick up a lot of high-risk kids who we think are somehow better. I don't like to pick on kids who are on our team, so let me use Tarin Smith as an example. You don't think we can find a kid as good as him around here? And the sad thing is, of the five guys Dirk listed, four of them we didn't really even put any effort into..

btw, I think Dirk obscures his point by throwing Gesell into the argument. Doc tried to get him.

Seriously?!

Yeah, but it's Miles's job to spot recruits that no one else thought would be any good and figure out which of those recruits no one else thought would be any good will actually pan out and then only recruit the ones who will pan out even when only a handful of the bottom-end D1 programs felt the kid was worthy of an offer.  And if any of those local kids who didn't get offers from anyone good goes anywhere else and does reasonably well, then we can say Miles is an idiot for not having had the foresight to offer a kid that ended up being pretty decent even though only a handful or fewer other D1 coaches extended an offer.

We, the fans, are entitled to use hindsight.

Did any fans on this message board have Mike Daum anywhere on their radars prior to a couple of days ago?  I'm interested in seeing the posts from people saying we should offer him.

Seriously?!

Yeah, but it's Miles's job to spot recruits that no one else thought would be any good and figure out which of those recruits no one else thought would be any good will actually pan out and then only recruit the ones who will pan out even when only a handful of the bottom-end D1 programs felt the kid was worthy of an offer.  And if any of those local kids who didn't get offers from anyone good goes anywhere else and does reasonably well, then we can say Miles is an idiot for not having had the foresight to offer a kid that ended up being pretty decent even though only a handful or fewer other D1 coaches extended an offer.

Did any fans on this message board have Mike Daum anywhere on their radars prior to a couple of days ago?  I'm interested in seeing the posts from people saying we should offer him.

I agree, my argument is a general one that we should look harder at Nebraska kids. Daum looks like one of those rare kids who might come out of nowhere. Plus, nobody can say even at this point how good he'll be.

I thought Norfolk's Tyler Hagedorn was worth a scholarship, could have let him know he would redshirt and would have to make up ground physically. We had a scholarship open, but instead we've made a run at supposedly better prospects who don't want to come here.  Hagedorn's a 6-10 true freshman and is averaging 13 minutes for South Dakota (they're pretty mediocre), shooting 32.5% of 40 3pt attempts.

Some of that is against mediocre competition, but he had 6 points and 6 rebounds against Illinois in 20+ minutes. He would have been redshirting here, but might have been useful in a year or two. (I'm not his dad, if you're wondering.)

Seriously?!

I agree, my argument is a general one that we should look harder at Nebraska kids. Daum looks like one of those rare kids who might come out of nowhere. Plus, nobody can say even at this point how good he'll be.

I thought Norfolk's Tyler Hagedorn was worth a scholarship, could have let him know he would redshirt and would have to make up ground physically. We had a scholarship open, but instead we've made a run at supposedly better prospects who don't want to come here.  Hagedorn's a 6-10 true freshman and is averaging 13 minutes for South Dakota (they're pretty mediocre), shooting 32.5% of 40 3pt attempts.

Some of that is against mediocre competition, but he had 6 points and 6 rebounds against Illinois in 20+ minutes. He would have been redshirting here, but might have been useful in a year or two. (I'm not his dad, if you're wondering.)

+1 (is that even still a thing?)

And there's no reason they can't do that the other Norfolk kid, Strom. I'd get David Wingett from Winnebego on board, too. He's putting up 27 points a game. I'd love to see those two in the 2017 class.

Or what about the leading scorer in the state, Bart Hiscock from Bennington, he's putting up 28 and 8, oh, and he's 6' 8" 225 and he's a senior. He can shoot, rebound and runs the floor well. You're telling me that kid can't contribute in a couple of years?

With one Nebraska kid already in the fold for 2017, and if that team is as good as a lot of people think it can be, I think there'd be room for Arop, Strom and Wingett to recruit and develop. It'd be unlikely that they play much anyway.

From Dirk yesterday, hadn't seen posted elsewhere:

Freshman Mike Daum from Kimball is a 6-foot-9, 230 pounder averaging 13 points and five rebounds for one of the top 100 basketball teams in the country. That’s impressive.

It brings me back to a frustrating topic for Nebrasketball fans.

Mike Gesell is on fire at Iowa, looking like an all-Big Ten point guard. At UNO, junior Tra-Deon Hollins leads the nation in steals. Sophomore Tre’Shawn Thurman is averaging 15 and eight.

At Creighton, freshman Khyri Thomas starts. Greg McDermott has stashed Justin Patton on his bench for next season. And Akoy Agau, who tore his ACL in October, should be a contributor at Georgetown next year. All are in-state kids. None signed with Dear Ole Nebraska U.

Put those five guys playing this year — Gesell, Hollins, Thomas, Thurman, Daum — against the Huskers right now. Who wins?

Is that Nebraska super-squad a NCAA tournament team? With all due respect to us, we're not that great this year so compiling a team of guys that can beat us but also wouldn't go to the NCAA tournament doesn't really float my boat. We're not Illinois or Indiana whiffing on a bunch of 4 stars because we're chasing 5 stars here. Did you notice how he didn't have Agau in that convenient equation of players?

btw, I think Dirk obscures his point by throwing Gesell into the argument.

The majority of Dirk's stuff in his blog is premises with "facts" shoehorned in. I mean, close enough, right?