In state kids?

Section_316

On 12/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, busticket said:

Was Mike Daum at that time?  From what I recollect, he really really turned it around after he got to college.  

No offense to Quientan, but Mike was a much, much better player and shooter in high school. He put up some monster numbers at Kimball and he landed his SDSU offer by hitting like 10 3s in an AAU game or something like that where coaches were there watching someone else. Gary Parrish at CBS has written/told the story before. The redshirt year was a rough one for him, and the coaches initially thought they made a mistake, but the talent was there and he fought through to become a terrific college basketball player almost as soon as he set foot on the floor as a redshirt freshman.

• 4 weeks later...

There's nobody who is close to getting an offer at this point, but Loenser was in Omaha on Friday for the quarterfinals of the Metro Holiday Tournament. Jaden Jackson (Bellevue West), Bryson Bahl (Papillion-La Vista South), Derek Rollins and Neal Mosser (Millard North) and A'mare Bynum are some of the 2024 and 2025 guys he got a look at.

Again, there's nobody that is a sure offer, but Loenser continues to due his due diligence locally as he has since they started phasing Abdelmassih out and putting more responsibility on his plate.

14 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

There's nobody who is close to getting an offer at this point, but Loenser was in Omaha on Friday for the quarterfinals of the Metro Holiday Tournament. Jaden Jackson (Bellevue West), Bryson Bahl (Papillion-La Vista South), Derek Rollins and Neal Mosser (Millard North) and A'mare Bynum are some of the 2024 and 2025 guys he got a look at.

Again, there's nobody that is a sure offer, but Loenser continues to due his due diligence locally as he has since they started phasing Abdelmassih out and putting more responsibility on his plate.

That is great to hear. I've made the point before, but it's sad that we decided to finally put in the work with the local kids, just when the talent pool dried up. Imo, none of the 2024 guys are worth a scholarship.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Watching what Sam Hoiberg is doing - does it make any of you re-evaluate the level of player Connor Milikan of Plattview could be? Significantly better hs player than Sam. Easily a comparable athlete, and taller. 

I mentioned him long ago in this thread.  I haven't seen him this year, but last year his shooting stroke looked a little broken to me.  Hell of an athlete with great instincts.  I heard going to a very small school as e wants to start right away.  He is interesting, but his game is volume scoring.  Not sure it would work well against bigger players.  Think I also heard he is playing with a partially torn miniscus.  

On 1/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, basketballjones said:

Re-evaluation. D2 or very small D1 guy. Steal for an NAIA team. 

I have only seen the Concordia kid once against Aurora.  His stroke looks good, but didn't make much that day.  He failed to make any impact whatsoever inside either.  Certainly doesn't look like a guy I want to go after.  

37 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Watching what Sam Hoiberg is doing - does it make any of you re-evaluate the level of player Connor Milikan of Plattview could be? Significantly better hs player than Sam. Easily a comparable athlete, and taller. 

Don't know about Milikan, but make no mistake, Sam Hoiberg is a walk-on caliber player. He was not worthy of being recruited by a D1 program, let alone a P5 program. He's certainly not one of those "extra scholarships because he's the coach's kid and can afford the tuition" situations.

But he doesn't hurt us. He's good enough of a perimeter shooter that he's not a total liability on offense. And he's smart enough to handle the technical aspects of playing defense without being an overwhelming athletic presence.

He wasn't getting any real minutes until Gary and Bandoumel went down, and then started getting those kinds of minutes only because of necessity.

But, man, has he ever risen to the occasion.

Give that kid a pat on the back. He's earning his keep. And his dream of playing for his dad is being realized in ways that are so improbable. His realistic vision going into the season had to be playing spot minutes in garbage time. But not only is he getting real minutes in games that really matter, he's seeing the floor in crunch time and making plays that, well, win the game.

So, good for him. Walk-ons of the world, look to Sam Hoiberg and see what could happen to you if a couple of starters go down.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Connor Millikan is the state's 2nd all-time scorer, he's had an incredible H.S. career at Platteview. I have watched him play a bunch of times, he has a knack for the game & with his longer arms he is able to create issues for his opponents. I think he's going to Dordt College in Iowa, which is probably a good fit for his game. I believe he wants to thrive right away, and he is getting a scholarship to do that. I'm sure he could help NU in some form but I doubt it's in the cards at this time.

9 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What about a guy already on the roster.  How does Cale Jacobson compare to Sam H?  Cale is listed at 6'4" and is purportedly very strong.  Can Cale play PG?  If so, he would be a good sized PG and even decent size 2G.   I don't follow HS BB, so I don't know anything about these guys, but Cale is definitely taller than Sam H.  Is Cale a better athlete?  Better shooter?  How is his basketball IQ? 

On the other hand, what are his limitations? 

Edited by NUdiehard

8 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

What about a guy already on the roster.  How does Cale Jacobson compare to Sam H?  Cale is listed at 6'4" and is purportedly very strong.  Can Cale play PG?  If so, he would be a good sized PG and even decent size 2G.   I don't follow HS BB, so I don't know anything about these guys, but Cale is definitely taller than Sam H.  Is Cale a better athlete?  Better shooter?  How is his basketball IQ? 

Hoiberg was on sports nightly earlier this week and said Cale was doing a very good job on the scout team and that he expected him to contribute next year.  He is redshirting this year.

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Connor Millikan is the state's 2nd all-time scorer, he's had an incredible H.S. career at Platteview. I have watched him play a bunch of times, he has a knack for the game & with his longer arms he is able to create issues for his opponents. I think he's going to Dordt College in Iowa, which is probably a good fit for his game. I believe he wants to thrive right away, and he is getting a scholarship to do that. I'm sure he could help NU in some form but I doubt it's in the cards at this time.

Millikan is set to go to Dordt.  He is finishing his high school career playing with a partially torn meniscus,  which will be surgically repaired at the end of the season.   People should keep that in  mind if they watch him the rest of the season.  

Sometimes it is tough to gage how much heart and desire an athlete has to get better and be the best player he can be.  Most kids that play college ball love the game, but do they really love the game enough to outwork others.  Sam H certainly has a great feel for the game and he knows the ins and outs of Fred's offense.  Makes you wonder how much better some guys could have been if they had the same work ethic of Sam.

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

I have only seen the Concordia kid once against Aurora.  His stroke looks good, but didn't make much that day.  He failed to make any impact whatsoever inside either.  Certainly doesn't look like a guy I want to go after.  

He's a 6'9"+ Junior, with long arms and a shooting stroke/ball handling ability. You take a chance on that. 

1 hour ago, HB said:

Millikan is set to go to Dordt.  He is finishing his high school career playing with a partially torn meniscus,  which will be surgically repaired at the end of the season.   People should keep that in  mind if they watch him the rest of the season.  

And he had 35 Tuesday on it. He's also just a phenomenal kid. I would be beating down his door to get him to Walk-on. 

But fwiw - I am fully aware of Connor's game and limitations at the next level. He's made the right decision for himself. I just watch someone like Sam Hoiberg play 37 minutes against an NCAA tourney team and go, "hey, maybe not everyone out here needs to fit this perfect mold of what we think a college basketball player looks like." (*as I stare directly in the mirror and call myself a hypocrite for my views on Keisei T.*)

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

The problem with Cale at this level is that Cale is a smooth, patient, ball-control guy who is used to operating with the ball in his hands and manipulating things. Then taking advantage of mistakes, using his strength/athleticism, and whatnot... Where Sam is and has always been a shot out of cannon, energy, high IQ, quickness, flying around wild, water-bug type of player. So his game (Sam's) really translated well to being a walk-on role player. Cale's game, as a high schooler anyways, doesn't really translate to that type of role player. 

That being said, I believe that if Cale sticks it out, he can certainly carve out a role as a change-of-pace, quarterback style, point guard here at this level. Just a matter of if that's what he wants or not. 

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

The problem with Cale at this level is that Cale is a smooth, patient, ball-control guy who is used to operating with the ball in his hands and manipulating things. Then taking advantage of mistakes, using his strength/athleticism, and whatnot... Where Sam is and has always been a shot out of cannon, energy, high IQ, quickness, flying around wild, water-bug type of player. So his game (Sam's) really translated well to being a walk-on role player. Cale's game, as a high schooler anyways, doesn't really translate to that type of role player. 

That being said, I believe that if Cale sticks it out, he can certainly carve out a role as a change-of-pace, quarterback style, point guard here at this level. Just a matter of if that's what he wants or not. 

Sam is similar to Charlie Easley in that they are real quick-twitch athletes with high motors who are also great catch and shoot three point shooters. Neither need the ball in their hands. These things allow them to play a role and play up to the speed of the game at this level. Cale is a big, strong point guard who does all the things you described. He lacks lateral quickness and isn't a great shooter (although his mechanics are fine). Cale struggled with turnovers in AAU ball and wasn't able to do the things he did at the Class B level. 

I think Cale would be an NAIA all-american. Sam's ceiling might be honorable mention all-conference at that level. Sam could be a solid four year role player at Nebraska, but I'm not sure Cale's game will translate.

7 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Sam is similar to Charlie Easley in that they are real quick-twitch athletes with high motors who are also great catch and shoot three point shooters. Neither need the ball in their hands. These things allow them to play a role and play up to the speed of the game at this level. Cale is a big, strong point guard who does all the things you described. He lacks lateral quickness and isn't a great shooter (although his mechanics are fine). Cale struggled with turnovers in AAU ball and wasn't able to do the things he did at the Class B level. 

I think Cale would be an NAIA all-american. Sam's ceiling might be honorable mention all-conference at that level. Sam could be a solid four year role player at Nebraska, but I'm not sure Cale's game will translate.

Sounds like Cale is a shorter and slightly less athletic version of Sam Griesel. Did I interpret your evaluation correctly?

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Sounds like Cale is a shorter and slightly less athletic version of Sam Griesel. Did I interpret your evaluation correctly?

It does sound a bit like that. I think Cale is more skilled than Griesel out of high school. I think Griesel is one of the better athletes on the team, though. Which allows him to be a very good defender. For some reason, his defense has gone greatly underappreciated. I don't think he's that far off from Gary and Bandoumel. In fact, Torvik's defensive metrics have him as being the best defender on the team by a good amount. 

My take on Cale.  Much of what his high school game description is what was described.  What was not described is his competitive spirit and locker room/leadership presences. 

it is possible and maybe even likely that his game won’t translate.  My bet is that his competitive spirit(perfect for a walk on) will allow him to find a niche.  

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I literally said he's a, "D2 or very small D1 guy. Steal for an NAIA team" 
Never made any mention of Nebraska offering.

I give thoughts on how the players relate to Nebraska since this is a Nebraska recruiting board.  So when I say not someone I want to go after, I am obviously talking about Nebraska.  

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I give thoughts on how the players relate to Nebraska since this is a Nebraska recruiting board.  So when I say not someone I want to go after, I am obviously talking about Nebraska.  

That's great, but completely not what I was talking about, given I'd already said he's not a major/mid-major D1 guy. So, if you're just wanting to have a separate conversation with your own parameters - maybe don't include me?