In state kids?

Section_316

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

How well does he shoot the ball?  Benny Parker was one of the best on-ball defenders we've had in awhile but was a liability on the offensive end and many felt that his offensive limitations more than offset his defensive abilities.  So, he can defend.  I'll assume he can distribute.  But can Mitchell shoot?

I think the top 50 camp he was over 6 feet now but not sure how accurate they are. One issue with Sheriff is getting stronger which he will, he could be a junior right now as he is young for his class. The bigger issue though is improving his jump shot, it is not terrible but it needs to be much more consistent for upper D1. If he was a knock down jump shooter he would be a P5 guy in my opinion. Prep school might be a great option for him so it will be interesting to see how he does. I will get to watch him a lot this year and anxious to see how much better he has gotten

• 1 month later...

From the OWH:

Q: What are your thoughts on prep school and reclassifying?

Mitchell: "Prep school is something I'm really considering and thinking about. I think right now, with my body, I'm not ready for college physically. And I think another year at a prep school and reclassifying would get me a body that would be more ready for college than my body is now. Plus, I'm young for my grade so there's no problem with it. I could also work on my game and get a more consistent and better jump shot if I keep working on it. (Reclassifying) is something that I've been thinking about for awhile."

20 hours ago, huskercwg said:

From the OWH:

Q: What are your thoughts on prep school and reclassifying?

Mitchell: "Prep school is something I'm really considering and thinking about. I think right now, with my body, I'm not ready for college physically. And I think another year at a prep school and reclassifying would get me a body that would be more ready for college than my body is now. Plus, I'm young for my grade so there's no problem with it. I could also work on my game and get a more consistent and better jump shot if I keep working on it. (Reclassifying) is something that I've been thinking about for awhile."

Thats why Im glad my son was one day after the rule for school in oregon.  They asked if we wanted to test him up since he was so close.  I said nope you put that rule in place for a reason.  In my mind I went back to the line in Varsity Blues when the dad says they are going to hold their son back in 8th grade another year so he's bigger for freshman tryouts.  Being the oldest in your class had advantages, especially when hes a projected 7 footer, he will need all the time he can to fill out.

Edited by TheKamdyMan

43 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

If you don't need it for the grades - what is the point of going to prep school vs just redshirting? 

College weight and nutrition program/resources > Prep School's weight and nutrition program/resources

Get to know and develop a relationship with your teammates and coaches. Learn the system and style. 

But Prep School doesn't start your eligibility clock right?  So theoretically the player could go to a year of Prep School, then redshirt their first year in college.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

But Prep School doesn't start your eligibility clock right?  So theoretically the player could go to a year of Prep School, then redshirt their first year in college.

It also seems like the point is to get into a higher level school where at you can still make that redshirt decision, if you're able to.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

2018 Omaha Burke guard Shereef Mitchell is officially visiting Nebraska Omaha today and tomorrow.

DIQ_d2rUEAA11Tq.jpg

Speaking of the Mitchell family:

If Alvin Mitchell doesn't transfer to Cincinnati, what happens?  Well, in 1998 NU actually has some depth in the backcourt, I don't know if that gets them any more wins that year but it might, in which case they're a better seed in the NCAA and maybe get a win, who knows.  In 1999 after Lue goes pro, Alvin Mitchell is the point guard and not Joe Holmes, so instead of a 20-win team that's 10-6 in the Big 12 but goes to the NIT, that's almost surely an NCAA team again.  Then in 2000 he probably gets a fifth year like Larry Florence did, and maybe that season's not quite the disaster it was, and maybe Danny Nee doesn't get fired, and Collier doesn't get hired.

The point is, sometimes when a player transfers out and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal - maybe it was.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 8:10 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

Speaking of the Mitchell family:

If Alvin Mitchell doesn't transfer to Cincinnati, what happens?  Well, in 1998 NU actually has some depth in the backcourt, I don't know if that gets them any more wins that year but it might, in which case they're a better seed in the NCAA and maybe get a win, who knows.  In 1999 after Lue goes pro, Alvin Mitchell is the point guard and not Joe Holmes, so instead of a 20-win team that's 10-6 in the Big 12 but goes to the NIT, that's almost surely an NCAA team again.  Then in 2000 he probably gets a fifth year like Larry Florence did, and maybe that season's not quite the disaster it was, and maybe Danny Nee doesn't get fired, and Collier doesn't get hired.

The point is, sometimes when a player transfers out and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal - maybe it was.

That was so painful having to rely on Joe Holmes to run the show.  Nothing against him, he tried hard etc.  But he was not even a mid major player.  Wow, what a massive upgrade Mitchell would have been.  Watching us get trounced in Manhattan in a game that puts us in dance with that damn band blaring that song every two seconds while watching Joe Holmes struggle was painful. 

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

How good is the kid from Westside?  Chase Thompson, 6'6", 225, class of 2019.

Chase plays for the OSA program where his dad's a coach during the summers.  I've watched him play a number of games over the last few years.  He's a crafty scorer, very good with pump fakes to get his defender out of position.  I don't believe he's 6"6 but obviously there is a long standing tradition of fibbing on height in basketball.  He's a strong bulky kid, probably needs to slim down a bit to improve quickness.  Decent shooter.

One of his teammates at Westside is Jadin Booth who is a Sophomore and also plays for the OSA program.  Love this kid.  He can shoot and he can attack the basket in isolation and finish at the rim.   He's a great defender and a great leader.

• 3 weeks later...