In state kids?

Section_316

Where will he play next? That’s a fair question. Berridge thinks he can play college at a high level.

“Maybe a prep school is good for him,” Berridge said. “If he goes D-1, he’d probably redshirt anyway. A prep school or juco is probably better because he needs to keep moving, keep his body playing. He can play at the next level. He can play D-1 — big D-1. It’s just finding the right path there.”

I mentioned prep school to Wingett. It did wonders for another in-state star — Omaha Benson guard turned Creighton stud Khyri Thomas — and might do the same for Wingett. He said he wasn’t sure. Maybe. He’s weighing his options.

“I like the PBA,” Wingett said, meaning playing for Nebraska. “We’ll see what happens. That’s not an option right now. We’ll see.”

Prep school, then maybe NU? I'll continue to maintain, for a number of reasons, he should be a Husker.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/basketball/mckewon-david-wingett-s-final-dance-ends-in-disappointment-but/article_2a04abd0-05d0-11e7-8340-43671f49bfbe.html

Edited by uneblinstu

14 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Prep school, then maybe NU? I'll continue to maintain, for a number of reasons, he should be a Husker.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/basketball/mckewon-david-wingett-s-final-dance-ends-in-disappointment-but/article_2a04abd0-05d0-11e7-8340-43671f49bfbe.html

If I'm reading between the lines the grades/scores aren't there yet?  I truly hope we're keeping up with him because I think you're right. Hope he makes it either way.

10 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

If I'm reading between the lines the grades/scores aren't there yet?  I truly hope we're keeping up with him because I think you're right. Hope he makes it either way.

am i wrong in assuming he'll get free tuition weather he gets a scholarship or not? might make our chances of getting him as walk on that much better. he's going to need a redshirt year to get bigger.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

On the subject of Daum, I read in the Journal Star on Sunday that he was Third Team Super-State as a senior.

I wonder how people on this board would have reacted if Miles had offered a Third Team Super-Stater EVER. 

Let alone one from Kimball.

Any guesses?

But but but... It was such a huge miss.... because look where he is today.  Any coach should have been able to see a third team super stater in Nebraska be a 20 PPG college player.  Sorry with the sarcasm.

Now on to my real question.  Who were the rest of those on the third team and those on the second team, and where are they now?  I bet my left nut they are not averaging 20 PPG at the college level.

Daum had offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Lehigh, a few Summit schools and other low majors. I'm not saying nobody would have second guessed offering him, but many would have been happy that we were offering a big at that point. And he's a Nebraska kid whose uncle played for Osborne. 

The stories about him coming out of nowhere are just that, stories. It wasn't like he was playing in Siberia or something. He got a workout in Lincoln and apparently didn't impress anyone. Maybe he had a bad day, looked intimidated, whatever. 

34 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Daum had offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Lehigh, a few Summit schools and other low majors. I'm not saying nobody would have second guessed offering him, but many would have been happy that we were offering a big at that point. And he's a Nebraska kid whose uncle played for Osborne. 

The stories about him coming out of nowhere are just that, stories. It wasn't like he was playing in Siberia or something. He got a workout in Lincoln and apparently didn't impress anyone. Maybe he had a bad day, looked intimidated, whatever. 

Or maybe he just wasn't that good, worked his butt off at SDSU, improved greatly and excels at that level. 

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If we would've offered Daum there would've been nobody happy. The people bitching about the offer would've put the people bitching that Horne is leaving to shame.

34 minutes ago, Jugular said:

If we would've offered Daum there would've been nobody happy. The people bitching about the offer would've put the people bitching that Horne is leaving to shame.

Was nobody happy when we offered Michael Jacobson?  I just went back and read thru some of the topic on him....there was definitely some questioning the offer.  But, it's not as if the whole board was flipping out.  Do you think it would have been different for Daum just because he's from Nebraska?

7 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Was nobody happy when we offered Michael Jacobson?  I just went back and read thru some of the topic on him....there was definitely some questioning the offer.  But, it's not as if the whole board was flipping out.  Do you think it would have been different for Daum just because he's from Nebraska?

Didn't Jacobsen have other P5 offers?

5 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Jake played much better HS competition than Daum did. And at the time was more athletic. Now obviously Daum has worked his way to where that is no longer the case. But getting a big from a Des Moines suburb in Iowa's largest class with better mid-major offers and a P5 football offer is more appealing than the weak low major offers that Daum had. And Iowa HS hoops is a lot better than Nebraska HS hoops. 

15 hours ago, Jugular said:

Jake played much better HS competition than Daum did. And at the time was more athletic. Now obviously Daum has worked his way to where that is no longer the case. But getting a big from a Des Moines suburb in Iowa's largest class with better mid-major offers and a P5 football offer is more appealing than the weak low major offers that Daum had. And Iowa HS hoops is a lot better than Nebraska HS hoops. 

So you think people would have been more pissed with the signing of Daum because instead of getting offers from Indiana St and Drake he had offers from the South Dakota's and Wyoming? Maybe, but I'm not seeing it.  From my understanding we offered Jacobson based on what he did in AAU ball......South Dakota St did the same with Daum after he was raining down threes in AAU ball.  Me thinks we would have gotten over offering a small town Nebraska kid after he started to shoot the ball(something we have been terrible at under Miles).  Again, I'm not blaming our staff for not offering Daum...but Miles isn't recruiting based on the reaction of the fanbase.  How pissed do you think the fanbase would have been had Miles offered Justin Patton or Khyri Thomas?  

Daum vs Jacobson is sort of the right argument. Would Jake have a 3pt shot if he had redshirted? Would we have redshirted Daum and if we didn't would he be the same guy today?

If you're talking about competing offers for big men in 2013 it's more of a Daum vs Hammond. Anyone taking Mike Daum in 2013 to give you minutes against A.J. Hammons?