In state kids?

Section_316

I had heard a while back we weren't real high on Heiman, so this news is really good to hear. He still needs to bulk up some, and he's hard to judge against low-level high school talent, but I'm glad we're watching him. Definitely a guy who could develop. He's not a big, postup kid but has skills and decent athleticism. He already has offers from Drake and UNO.

Agueks little brother Akol is probably going to be a 1st team all Stater from Creighton Prep as a sophomore-He is clearly there best player-- he just dominated his Senior brother last friday night. Problem--- he's about 6'6 and scores all his points in the paint. Plus-- he is a much better athlete than Aguek. put back slams, driving slams, runs the court like a deer. Has better handle and a shot than people think. His floor is UNO/Summit-- His ceiling is probably to be Miles 6-7th man. 

Season stats: 15.6 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 bpg, 2.5 steals-- shooting 76% from the floor and 71% from the line. 

If we could land him and Chang as in-state Metro kids-- that would be ideal for me. Both are GREAT kids who no study problems-- humble-- and athletic as anyone to come out of the state past 10+ years. 

On 1/21/2014 at 6:54 PM, hhcdimes said:

Justin Patton - 6'10" kid at Omaha North.  Is he Div I material?

^^^  First mention of Justin Patton I can find on HHC...there's an interesting article (albeit from Bleacher Report) that showed up on reddit today that does a fairly decent job of recapping his timeline.  (Click headline to go to the article)

On 1/21/2014 at 8:20 PM, Section_316 said:

Watched Patton play. Nowhere close to division 1 offensively or defensively in my opinion.

This was a pretty common sentiment at the time it appears.  It's also probably why Creighton got him, they were the first ones to really see his potential...really got lucky with him I think.  If they had waited another week, he probably would have gone to some place like Carolina or Duke I'd imagine.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:01 AM, Section_316 said:

Agueks little brother Akol is probably going to be a 1st team all Stater from Creighton Prep as a sophomore-He is clearly there best player-- he just dominated his Senior brother last friday night. Problem--- he's about 6'6 and scores all his points in the paint. Plus-- he is a much better athlete than Aguek. put back slams, driving slams, runs the court like a deer. Has better handle and a shot than people think. His floor is UNO/Summit-- His ceiling is probably to be Miles 6-7th man. 

Season stats: 15.6 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 bpg, 2.5 steals-- shooting 76% from the floor and 71% from the line. 

If we could land him and Chang as in-state Metro kids-- that would be ideal for me. Both are GREAT kids who no study problems-- humble-- and athletic as anyone to come out of the state past 10+ years. 

I would bet with the issue with Aguek, that Akol will not even look at NU

• 2 weeks later...

Jus give me David Wingett honestly unless we have a sure thing on the horizon. You cant have too many 6'7 athletic guys that can shoot and know the game of basketball. Does Wingett have the potential as Nana Akenten or Isaac Copeland? No no no, and i'm not saying that. I'm saying have a hard-nosed, hard-working, hometown kid who has the skills to help us get better as a team. Plus, HE KNOWS basketball, which is such an underrated trait these days in a system that looks more at potential and athletiscm than skills and knowledge.

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

Jus give me David Wingett honestly unless we have a sure thing on the horizon. You cant have too many 6'7 athletic guys that can shoot and know the game of basketball. Does Wingett have the potential as Nana Akenten or Isaac Copeland? No no no, and i'm not saying that. I'm saying have a hard-nosed, hard-working, hometown kid who has the skills to help us get better as a team. Plus, HE KNOWS basketball, which is such an underrated trait these days in a system that looks more at potential and athletiscm than skills and knowledge.

We have no schollies available for 2017 and need a PG.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

We have no schollies available for 2017 and need a PG.

...yet...

I have no idea if it's something he'd be willing to do, but maybe the Arop plan would be a good one here. That '18 class is one where you could do something like this. I could very easily see him going somewhere else, in the Big Ten or otherwise, and NU regretting it for a long time.

Edited by uneblinstu

17 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

...yet...

I have no idea if it's something he'd be willing to do, but maybe the Arop plan would be a good one here. That '18 class is one where you could do something like this. I could very easily see him going somewhere else, in the Big Ten or otherwise, and NU regretting it for a long time.

Does Wingett even have any D1 offers?  Unless I am missing recruiting interest in this guy, it doesn't look like we're setting ourselves up for major regret.  

I don't think so. I'm not sure if there are grade issues or anything like that at play or not. And, I'm just an amateur observer, but the times I've seen him play, I've seen a game that would translate, probably after a year or two of S&C work, to the D1 level.

Perhaps, sans other options, he becomes a walk on candidate.

Edited by uneblinstu

I kinda wish we could experiment like a video game sorta. 

Take all the instate kids the past few years:

-Agau (Georgetown)

-Hollins (UNO)

-Thurman (UNO)

-Daum  (South Dakota St.)

-Thomas (Creighton)

-Patton (Creighton)

-Billingsley (UTSA)

-Chang, Wingett, Strom, Arop, Akinwole, Allen

Throw em all on a team for a couple years and see how they would match up against P5 basketball. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Class B's sole undefeated team, 20-0 Aurora Huskies stay unbeaten at Crete, and, thus, setting up a unique matchup at the Heartland Hoops Classic tomorrow night vs defending Class A champion Omaha South (13-6 this season)... Aurora is #6 in the All-Class rankings by the Omaha World-Herald.

If you are able to make any or all of the Heartland Hoops Classic, it would be great to read your ruminations afterwards.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

11 hours ago, khoock said:

I kinda wish we could experiment like a video game sorta. 

Take all the instate kids the past few years:

-Agau (Georgetown)

-Hollins (UNO)

-Thurman (UNO)

-Daum  (South Dakota St.)

-Thomas (Creighton)

-Patton (Creighton)

-Billingsley (UTSA)

-Chang, Wingett, Strom, Arop, Akinwole, Allen

Throw em all on a team for a couple years and see how they would match up against P5 basketball. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Patton and Daum show up on NBA draft predictions, so it's a good team.

22 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

...yet...

I think it would be great for him if he could get a year of prep school lined up and we'd get a shot at him. Given his overall lack of D-1 interest basically seems like a win-win.

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I think it would be great for him if he could get a year of prep school lined up and we'd get a shot at him. Given his overall lack of D-1 interest basically seems like a win-win.

If two spots open up, which I think is possible, this is a guy I'd take. With as much depth as we're projecting for next year, we could easily withstand him getting a redshirt year and do that developing under the watch of the NU staff rather than from someone out at some prep school. That would make that '18 class massive, even more so than it's already expected to be, though I don't expect that whole class to be full of high schoolers. If two spots don't open up, then perhaps the prep school is something to explore. I have no idea if that's on their radar or not, but it's something I thing would be worth exploring.

9 hours ago, khoock said:

I belive Wingett received an offer from one of the Dakota schools. That's the only one I can remember hearing of tho.

Reported this morning that he still doesn't have the required test score.  Just retook the ACT.  Purportedly has offers from several Summitt league teams and D1 programs in a Texas.  Plus jucos.