In state kids?

Section_316

Ratings are largely based on physical tools. Patton has them, plus he can shoot a little and handle the ball. He's competing for time against two experienced big men, plus they've got another 6-10 guy at 4 who can play some post. Patton's skinny and inexperienced and it wouldn't be surprising if he redshirted. Does that make him a bust? I dunno. Andrew White could be considered a ratings bust, I guess. Or maybe it just takes a while for some guys.

White played behind two guys that went top 5 in the draft. Let's see what he can do when he doesn't have star players in front of him.

I agree. My point was that ratings aren't infallible and it's early to suggest Patton is a bust. fwiw, I like the local kids a lot and still think Thurman was a steal for UNO.

Was Thurman the one that had issues with grades that scared folks off?

Yep, he qualified fairly late in the process.

Ratings are largely based on physical tools. Patton has them, plus he can shoot a little and handle the ball. He's competing for time against two experienced big men, plus they've got another 6-10 guy at 4 who can play some post. Patton's skinny and inexperienced and it wouldn't be surprising if he redshirted. Does that make him a bust? I dunno. Andrew White could be considered a ratings bust, I guess. Or maybe it just takes a while for some guys.

White played behind two guys that went top 5 in the draft. Let's see what he can do when he doesn't have star players in front of him.

I agree. My point was that ratings aren't infallible and it's early to suggest Patton is a bust. fwiw, I like the local kids a lot and still think Thurman was a steal for UNO.

There was message board talk of that, but I don't think it was the case. There was no mention of academic issues when he committed:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/central-s-thurman-picks-up-and-coming-uno/article_535b7081-8e86-5b93-bef5-1f856df54a70.html

I think NU and CU just whiffed on him. While I'll admit to bias toward local kids, there's no doubt he's better than other kids who have gotten offers in the last couple years. Arop's class is loaded and seem to have opened some eyes about the talent around here. This isn't a basketball hotbed with a lot of superstars, so it's hard to get the notice of ratings sites. But there are players good enough to contribute who would be 3 stars if they were on the east coast. I'll go out on a limb and say Tyler Hagedorn is going to have a good enough career at South Dakota that some will question whether he should have gotten an offer here.

There was message board talk of that, but I don't think it was the case. There was no mention of academic issues when he committed:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/central-s-thurman-picks-up-and-coming-uno/article_535b7081-8e86-5b93-bef5-1f856df54a70.html

I think NU and CU just whiffed on him. While I'll admit to bias toward local kids, there's no doubt he's better than other kids who have gotten offers in the last couple years. Arop's class is loaded and seem to have opened some eyes about the talent around here. This isn't a basketball hotbed with a lot of superstars, so it's hard to get the notice of ratings sites. But there are players good enough to contribute who would be 3 stars if they were on the east coast. I'll go out on a limb and say Tyler Hagedorn is going to have a good enough career at South Dakota that some will question whether he should have gotten an offer here.

Many of the players on that Central squad were academic challenges, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it's been discussed much, but UNO is really changing the recruiting game in Omaha. Kids are seeing a lot more opportunity to play with another D-1 program around. Good athletes in this area used to be drawn more to football, not so much any more. Omaha's large Sudanese population also is a big change. Koang Duluony played at Indiana State a few years ago, was very raw. The Sudanese kids coming up now, though, have been playing longer and are skilled.

Big men are still hard to find, just because the population base is small, but there is plenty of talent on the rise at other positions. The junior class is VERY talented, as we know.

• 3 weeks later...

If he was offered by CSU & Ohio for football he must be somewhat athletic. Is he athletic enough to contribute on the court at some point in his career?

From everything I have heard on him he would be a great practice player now and maybe offer some mop up duties in a few years.  He has the body but not the talent, at least projected right now, to be a regular contributor.  He was inconsistent in HS and thats not something you can have at that level of NE HS hoops and expect to be a B1G player.  Now thats not saying things cant change but definitely loved having guys like Kye on the team to help them out.

Hey, Kamdy, here's a rules question.

Tanner Borchartd is, obviously, a smart kid (Regents Scholarship) and is focused on academics and getting a degree. Let's assume he walks on for four years, gets a one or two semester scholarship along the way (like Trevor Menke), and then graduates in four or five years.

Question: Does he then count favorably toward Nebrasketball's Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores in any significant way?

Tanner Borchartd is, obviously, a smart kid (Regents Scholarship) and is focused on academics and getting a degree. Let's assume he walks on for four years, gets a one or two semester scholarship along the way (like Trevor Menke), and then graduates in four or five years.

Question: Does he then count favorably toward Nebrasketball's Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores in any significant way?

Yes, he would. Menke & Kurkowski (along with Shavon) have carried the APR for the Big Red for years!

Yes, he would. Menke & Kurkowski (along with Shavon) have carried the APR for the Big Red for years!

This is correct.  Its why having smart walk-ons help quite a few programs across the country.  Many are the difference between just getting by and sanctions.

This is correct.  Its why having smart walk-ons help quite a few programs across the country.  Many are the difference between just getting by and sanctions.

So, if we didn't have those smart walk-ons pulling us along, we'd potentially lose through penalties the scholarship spot that we end up giving to smart walk-ons?  Is that about the size of it?