In state kids?

Section_316

So is it safe to assume then that Isiah Zeirden is likely to not be on the team any more?

I don't think that is a given, it will be interesting to see how the offseason shakes out for the Jays. Well, interesting for us Jays fans, probably not for the majority of you all.

Hey, Mose, how the hell are ya, buddy?  Glad to see you back here.

I actually think this kid is a great get for you guys.  Perhaps the best player in your class and that includes Patton.  I watched some film on him.  I love his size.  He's a very well built player for his size, the kind who can take a beating.  And probably deliver one as well.  But he's a pretty skilled kid, too, and fairly athletic. 

I've been watching a little bit on the BJU and saw the continuing pursuit of him and I was hoping you guys would land him.  I think he'll be the hidden gem of your class.

The curious thing is that it looks like you're still pursuing point guards.  A juco kid.  What's up with that?  First, as I understood it, you guys were at the limit now with Thomas.  And, second, it would suggest maybe not total confidence in Mo Watson, which surprises me.  I knew Watson had been hurt, but is that a bigger problem than what had been previously reported?

Anyway, good to see you back.  Congrats to your boys on the win over Xavier.  Maybe you can get another with Marquette coming to town.

It seems that Jay fans are very high on their incoming class. Granted, they have a Rivals # 48 four-star coming in. But, according to Rivals, they don't have a single recruit with a big-time offer:

Patton--no other offer

Kramplelj--no other offer

Stewart--offers from Bradley, Chicago St., Florida Gulf Coast, Green Bay, Northern Colorado, Northern Illinois, Robert Morris & Toledo

Thomas--offers from Nebraska Omaha, Portland St. & UMKC

Maybe the Jays are better than everyone else at finding under-the-radar guys (like Doc with Shavon and Benny). But, wow. Weren't they supposed to have the inside track on a bunch of four-stars and on that Kansas transfer who, apparently, will be paying his own way next year in the Valley?

So is it safe to assume then that Isiah Zeirden is likely to not be on the team any more?

I don't think that is a given, it will be interesting to see how the offseason shakes out for the Jays. Well, interesting for us Jays fans, probably not for the majority of you all.

Hey, Mose, how the hell are ya, buddy?  Glad to see you back here.

I actually think this kid is a great get for you guys.  Perhaps the best player in your class and that includes Patton.  I watched some film on him.  I love his size.  He's a very well built player for his size, the kind who can take a beating.  And probably deliver one as well.  But he's a pretty skilled kid, too, and fairly athletic. 

I've been watching a little bit on the BJU and saw the continuing pursuit of him and I was hoping you guys would land him.  I think he'll be the hidden gem of your class.

The curious thing is that it looks like you're still pursuing point guards.  A juco kid.  What's up with that?  First, as I understood it, you guys were at the limit now with Thomas.  And, second, it would suggest maybe not total confidence in Mo Watson, which surprises me.  I knew Watson had been hurt, but is that a bigger problem than what had been previously reported?

Anyway, good to see you back.  Congrats to your boys on the win over Xavier.  Maybe you can get another with Marquette coming to town.

Norm, all is well. Pretty excited about Thomas, he is built like a Big East guard, which the Jays desperately need.  I don't think anyone expects Patton to jump in day one and be an impact player, but it looks and sounds like there is a ton of potential.  Hopefully the staff can unlock it.

Honestly, I haven't had the time to follow much of the recruiting stuff this year, so I don't know the details on the juco pg, but my understanding is that everyone is still very excited about Mo Watson, but he can't play 40 minutes.  Plus the Jays have been known to throw two pgs out on the floor at the same time.  Better to have two (would be three in this case with Stewart) than one. 

Its been a rough go for us in blue, a few "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" out there that would have made things a bit more palatable.  Obviously this year wasn't going to be as good as last year, but I didn't think it would be this bad.  A few winnable games out there yet, but it is what it is.

Congrats on your class this year, looks like you've landed a couple gems.

I always liked Thomas when he was in HS. Always good to see the local kids get a shot on the big stage. Hope he takes advantage of his opportunity.

I was surprised that UNO didn't land Khyri last year, but maybe they only had room for Tre'Shawn...

He had qualification issues.  That is why he went to prep school.

I always liked Thomas when he was in HS. Always good to see the local kids get a shot on the big stage. Hope he takes advantage of his opportunity.

I was surprised that UNO didn't land Khyri last year, but maybe they only had room for Tre'Shawn...

He had qualification issues.  That is why he went to prep school.

Well, that certainly explains it.  I had a very good impression of Khyri as a player and as a person while he was at Benson H.S. Hope he does well in college.  Always good to have Nebraska H.S. players do well in Div. 1.

• 2 months later...

We do not need a point guard but this guy is pretty good and starting to get some looks:

Northern Illinois is the latest to reach out to OSA 17u and Lincoln North Star PG Triston Simpson (@DriveMaster31). #NIUHuskies

Coached him for awhile.  Great player and even better kid.  Gonna be a hell of a player at the next level if he keeps developing at the rate he has so far

• 2 weeks later...

Swan, we understand. You just wanted to rub it in. ;)

All kidding aside, I like their Thomas kid, but I'm not convinced Patton will be ready from day 1. By junior year, he could be quite good. But he doesn't have the heft he needs to be a major factor right away.

Scout's rankings came out today today and looking around I noticed that Patton is now a 5*.  They have him at #24 overall.

With a ranking that high, he should be making an impact from day one, and possibly end up being one-and-done.