In state kids?

Section_316

• 4 weeks later...

So far today:

(B West) Malik Hluchoweckyj signing his LOI to Bowling Green

Congrats to Tyler Dougherty (Papio) on signing to play basketball at NW Missouri State.

Congratulations to @TylerJHagedorn (Norfolk) becoming a #Yote! (USD) Great kid, wonderful family, and excellent player! #Brightfuture

Omaha North's Justin Patton has officially signed his LOI to attend #Creighton

So, when did the Coyotes get shortened to Yotes?!? Very coy of them... ;)

They've been calling themselves the 'Yotes for as long as I can remember.  SDSU, not to be outdone, call themselves the Jacks.  I dunno, maybe it's a South Dakota thing?

Or the way those guys in Lincoln call themselves the 'Skers.  Sometimes.

I guess, technically, the 'Huskers is short for Cornhuskers. So, nevermind...  :huh:

My point was that Yotes is a bit silly when the "co(y)" was essentially left off... how very 'coy' of them. 

Virginia fans like to cheer "Go Hoos!", you know, as in short for Cavaliers?  I guess???

(Full disclosure, I am well aware of the Wahoos backstory for Virginia...and that most schools shorten their Mascot's nickname, like Colorado goes by Buffs...I'm just trying to make a bit of a joke is all.  Carry on.)

Virginia fans like to cheer "Go Hoos!", you know, as in short for Cavaliers?  I guess???

(Full disclosure, I am well aware of the Wahoos backstory for Virginia...and that most schools shorten their Mascot's nickname, like Colorado goes by Buffs...I'm just trying to make a bit of a joke is all.  Carry on.)

An interesting tale of the Wahoos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

Any team outside of Georgia who spells "dog" with an "aw" should be slapped.

I will allow an exception for the state of Mississippi.

And, somewhat related to this, didn't Oklahoma used to have a basketball-only mascot named "Top Dawg"???

top-dawg.jpg

Not a lot of hills in Oklahoma.  Y'know, for as many hillbillies as live there.

And, somewhat related to this, didn't Oklahoma used to have a basketball-only mascot named "Top Dawg"???

top-dawg.jpg

Wait.  You mean you've never been to the Ouachita or Arbuckle mountains?  Even a small part of the Flint Hills stretch down into Oklahoma.  But it's true, almost all of the rest of the state is laughably flat.

Still, I don't think they have any kudzu there.

How would one slap a team?  Would you slap the team mascot? :D

I don't know, but Baylor sure spanked our team last year.

Hopefully we'll slap a few more teams this year.

top-dawg.jpg

Wait.  You mean you've never been to the Ouachita or Arbuckle mountains?  Even a small part of the Flint Hills stretch down into Oklahoma.  But it's true, almost all of the rest of the state is laughably flat.

Still, I don't think they have any kudzu there.

Tell 'em it makes good catfish bait and I'd bet they'd try to import some.

OK...I really go off topic here...but this is a slow day compared to yesterday and your post reminded me of an OLD Dawgs joke...that I first heard back in the 70's.

So for those that did not get to live through the undefeated '70 and '71 seasons...and perhaps have never seen The Graduate or Clockwork Orange...here is my friend Mike's joke #23.

A rural Georgian takes an out-of-towner to his first game between the hedges.

During a break in the action, the Georgian is pointing out some of the traditions surrounding them.

Eventually he points out UGA (the Georgia bulldog), who soon starts lickin' his private parts.

The newbie starts laughing and says "Gosh, I all ways wished I could do that!"

The Georgian replies with an incredulous drawl...

"That dawg would bite Yooouuu!"

• 1 month later...

Fill me in on Logan strom?

As a soph so far he is averaging 13 PTS and 7 boards shooting 50 percent from the field.  For comparisons sake...the 4* down the road from Omaha North is averaging 13 PTS and 7 boards shooting 29 percent from the field. 

Strom is more skilled, plays on a very good team. Patton is not as skilled, though skilled for a guy his size, plays on a mediocre team with weak guard play. Both very good players, Patton's upside is higher because of his shot blocking ability. He's easy to downgrade since he's going to the school that will not be named, but he's good.

Fill me in on Logan strom?

As a soph so far he is averaging 13 PTS and 7 boards shooting 50 percent from the field.  For comparisons sake...the 4* down the road from Omaha North is averaging 13 PTS and 7 boards shooting 29 percent from the field. 

Strom is more skilled, plays on a very good team. Patton is not as skilled, though skilled for a guy his size, plays on a mediocre team with weak guard play. Both very good players, Patton's upside is higher because of his shot blocking ability. He's easy to downgrade since he's going to the school that will not be named, but he's good.

Patton may end up being very good if he makes it to Creighton...I don't know.  But color me less than impressed with a kid who is 6'11 in Nebraska class A ball that is considered a top 75 recruit and is shooting in the mid 30's from the floor.  He should be dominating. 

• 1 month later...

Had a chance to catch most of O North-North Star last night - Patton was in some foul trouble, but just 4 pts, 3 or 4 reb, 3 or 4 blocks before fouling out. He does a nice job altering shots at the high school level, but tough to project whether he can do that at the D-1 level where there are many more players similar in size and much stronger. And the rest of his game needs work.

Certainly doesn't seem to be someone who can step in right away and make a difference in most D-1 leagues. But then again big guys are typically projects. And he probably had a bit of an off night, as his numbers have been better in other games this season.

Was trying to stack him up vs other bigs in recent Nebraska HS play, and am having a hard time. Not as advanced as Hill or Eliason at this point in their HS careers. Agou isn't as big as Patton, but Agou just seemed to affect the game more and was a better all-around player at this stage. Probably forgetting someone to use as a comparison.