01/09/2014 - Michigan Report Card

hhcdave

OFFENSE: A-

Since turnovers are part of the offense (though we typically grade them under "Ball Handling,") we'll give NU just below an "A" in this one, as the Big Red gave away 13 possessions off of TO's that led to 21 points. There's your ball game.

Still, NU was good overall on the offensive end, scoring 70 points on 53% shooting from the field and knocking down 11-12 (92%) at the line. Of course, that one miss really hurt in this game.

After starting off sizzling hot from downtown, the Huskers finished a modest and somewhat disappointing 7-20 (35%) from three land, connecting on just two trey's after the half.

The worst possession of the game came at a critical timem in a 67-67 tie with under 2:00 left, when Terran Petteway jacked up an ill-advised three with :23 on the shot clock. NU got the offensive board, but Leslee Smith had his pocket picked for a quick basket at the other end, and NU never really recovered.

DEFENSE: D

Not good - at all. This has been a trend most of the year.

Michigan shot 62% from the field. That's right, for the GAME, 62%!!! That includes 67% in the second half.

Luckily for NU, the Wolverines left six points at the line, missing 6 of 9 from the stripe.

I will say, had NU taken better care of the ball, perhaps Michigan's numbers are 6 points less scored and 4-5% less from the field. Still, that only boosts this to a "D+" effort, tops.

Nebraska did a nice job taking away the three (6-17) but gave away 40 points in the paint, most of which were completely uncontested.

One thing I've noticed over and over and over is that NU's bigs consistently try to draw charges. They'll stand for the charge, almost closing their eyes and waiting for contact, and other teams slashers go right around them for uncontested shot after uncontested shot. Quit trying to draw charges!!! Teams know by now that's what you do from all the film and also know that there is no shot blocker behind you. Also, even when there IS contact, the defensive team is only getting the benefit of the doubt around 33% of the time this year. So, can we stop that now?

REBOUNDING: B

Nebraska was +6 on the boards, which is actually somewhat impressive considering Michigan missed about two shots the entire night.

To be serious, NU did out board Michigan offensively (8-4) which is pretty impressive, led by six rebounds from Smith and five from our Player of the Game, Deverell Biggs (who had 14 points as well).

BALL HANDLING: D

13 turnovers is what lost NU the game. That's why the "D" is a little on the harsh side.

NU averages 10.7 TO's a game, so 13 isn't awful, but Michigan ran almost NO pressure and no press. Most of NU's turnovers were unforced and came at very inopportune times (see the one tonight in the 67-67 tie, for example).

Completely awful game for Terran Petteway, who finished with SIX turnovers.

COACHING: A

Coach Miles had NU ready in this game. He cut down his rotation (no Nathan Hawkins tonight), utilized his timeouts beautifully and did some nice things out of them (such as the switch to the zone to slow down Michigan for a couple of possessions) and called a nice play at the end to get Petteway a clean look at the rim, or a dish off to Smith. It turned out that unfortunately, it was a miss by Terran, and two tip misses by Smith, but it put NU in a position to win.

Tonight was one of the best games Miles has coached as a Husker, even though I'll admit this team is awful at defense and that needs to be improved, and quickly. I'm going to chalk that up as more of a personnel issue and lack of bigs and give him a pass for one more year on the defense. Next year the grades toughen up a bit.

OVERALL GRADE: B+

There's no shame in losing to last year's runner up, even without McGarry. The Huskers showed us more progress tonight - two steps forward (at Iowa and this game), one step back (Ohio State). That's how you make progress. Let's see it get us our first win on Sunday.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: DEVERELL BIGGS

2013-2014 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

TERRAN PETTEWAY - 7

TAI WEBSTER - 2

WALTER PITCHFORD - 2

LESLEE SMITH - 2

SHAVON SHIELDS - 1

DEVERELL BIGGS - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

Good point about the big men trying to draw charges.  The best example is at the end of the game where Smith tried to draw one.  He had the size advantage to make the layup a lot more difficult but gave a pretty clear look trying for a charge.

Also disappointing the Huskers didn't push for the 2 for 1 at the end of the game.  Instead opting to walk the ball up the court.  Didn't really like the timeout with 9 seconds left either.  Looked like Petteway had a better chance to create before the timeout.

Some clutch shots from both teams tonight.

Another road game is probably not what this team needs.

My guess is the timeout was taken because Biggs didn't initiate the play soon enough so Miles wanted to get something else set up.

I think Miles panicked a bit. 9 seconds is a lifetime. Biggs had exactly what he wanted, but obviously not what Miles wanted. My money would have been on Biggs to make something good happen. All coaches do a to. Of second guessing after a loss like that.

I was so frustrated by this loss. How many times in the last 20 years have I seen this same finish. Winnable game, momentum builder, 2-3-4 chances to get the winning basket,nope.

this is me, too. Games like this crush budding programs, especially on national tv. they can only get so much mileage from those silly crapper tv's.

The stretch in the second half where they consistently worked the pick and roll against us for easy baskets was really frustrating. That doesn't have anything to do with our size in the post, that's just poor defense on a basic basketball play.

On the plus side, we're really doing a lot of things right and I'm still encouraged by the way we're able to play at times. Last year we had periods where we shot well, but overall we really weren't very good. Cut down the turnovers and poor shot selection, and you'd have a really good team on offense. Petteway and Biggs are real playmakers. Let's grow up on defense.

My guess is the timeout was taken because Biggs didn't initiate the play soon enough so Miles wanted to get something else set up.

I think Miles panicked a bit. 9 seconds is a lifetime. Biggs had exactly what he wanted, but obviously not what Miles wanted. My money would have been on Biggs to make something good happen. All coaches do a to. Of second guessing after a loss like that.

Had Biggs taken a bad or blocked shot there would be a lot of asking why Miles didn't take a timeout.  Oh the difference 2 points makes!

You make good points.  I read your post in the other thread about the finish and you make a good case for letting the action go.

Miles has a great reputation for drawing up plays in timeouts.  Before he came to Nebraska, I remember seeing a stat where his CSU team was one of the nation's leaders for scoring on possessions immediately after a called timeout.

Sadly, we didn't get the kind of extremely open look Michigan got on the possession before where they took the lead.

Oh well.  On to Purdue.