Biggs

TourneyBound

I am getting a little frustrated with Coach Miles and the way he handles Webster and Biggs.  He is not afraid to tell you what Biggs is doing wrong to get pulled out but says the complete opposite when Webster makes mistakes that he needs to stay out there and learn.

The over hype on Webster is effecting Miles and Webster. Its like Coach Miles doesn't want to eat his words and say Webster is not ready to play at this level and then creates dought with Webster and he decides to go back to New Zealand.

Coach Miles is making himself look bad when he gives tough love to Biggs and not Webster.

Websters leash is WAY too long when the stats don't lie as Websters numbers are really poor to be considered a starter and a player that plays over 20 minutes a game.

The worse case of this issue is the team will start to lose the trust of Coach Miles if they also see this.  Favoritism of a under performing player playing ahead of others will divide a team.

I'm under the impression that Miles doesn't want to bench Webster in fear that he might leave after the season.

I think it's been pretty clear for weeks that Biggs is the best point guard option for this season.

Webster probably still has better potential, but he is not the best option at this point.

I completely agree. The coaches are over catering to Webster. I think its time for the tough love. Miles is doing it with Biggs, maybe its time to call out Webster to perform better. He leaves, he leaves.

How dare anyone question Miles! It's easy to see to just about anyone...Biggs is the better player right now. And in all reality, it's not close. Did Bigge struggle in some stretches on defense last night? Sure. Was Webster playing enough for him to get the majority of the minutes down the stretch because of it? Nope. We didn't start getting stops on defense once Webster was in the game. Instead we had a player in who currently might as well just stand in the corner on offense.

I would be fine with Webster standing in the corner on offense as long as Biggs was also in the game and handling the ball up top. When Webster was in the game last night, it got to the point where his man didn't guard him up top. His man could sag off of his and plug up the middle of the key. Obviously, when Biggs had the ball in hand it was a different story.

Deverell dont know how to play defense. They don't teach it at Central - they get by with superior athleticism. Akoy is having the same problems at Louisville and Josh had them at Creighton.

What hurts Deverell is that by the time Josh and Akoy are juniors in college, they got 2 years of college coaching under there belts. Deverell is already a jr and came from juco where the defense is even worse than Central.

I am getting a little frustrated with Coach Miles and the way he handles Webster and Biggs.  He is not afraid to tell you what Biggs is doing wrong to get pulled out but says the complete opposite when Webster makes mistakes that he needs to stay out there and learn.

The over hype on Webster is effecting Miles and Webster. Its like Coach Miles doesn't want to eat his words and say Webster is not ready to play at this level and then creates dought with Webster and he decides to go back to New Zealand.

Coach Miles is making himself look bad when he gives tough love to Biggs and not Webster.

Websters leash is WAY too long when the stats don't lie as Websters numbers are really poor to be considered a starter and a player that plays over 20 minutes a game.

The worse case of this issue is the team will start to lose the trust of Coach Miles if they also see this.  Favoritism of a under performing player playing ahead of others will divide a team.

Have you ever coached high school or college sports?  If not you wouldnt understand the dynamic of a coach knowing who he can and cannot be critical of their play especially to outsiders.  I have a feeling Websters psyche is fragile and knows anything he says publicly about him could make him go even further into a shell than he already is, but Biggs he knows can take all criticism in stride and use it as fuel to push harder and earn the minutes and respect.

Deverell dont know how to play defense. They don't teach it at Central - they get by with superior athleticism. Akoy is having the same problems at Louisville and Josh had them at Creighton.

What hurts Deverell is that by the time Josh and Akoy are juniors in college, they got 2 years of college coaching under there belts. Deverell is already a jr and came from juco where the defense is even worse than Central.

There is a lot of truth to this regarding Josh, he was exponentially better on the defensive end by his junior year.

Have you ever coached high school or college sports?  If not you wouldnt understand the dynamic of a coach knowing who he can and cannot be critical of their play especially to outsiders.  I have a feeling Websters psyche is fragile and knows anything he says publicly about him could make him go even further into a shell than he already is, but Biggs he knows can take all criticism in stride and use it as fuel to push harder and earn the minutes and respect.

Kamdy, I rarely disagree with you, but I do see this situation differently for sure. Biggs honestly seems like the most emotionally fragile player I've ever seen in a Husker uniform. He gets down on himself constantly and easily, has chronically dejected body language, and constantly battles self doubt. His Twitter feed supports this. Tai honestly seems like he has a much thicker skin than Biggs does. If anything, I feel that Biggs is the guy who really needs to be coddled.

Kamdy, I rarely disagree with you, but you really lost me here. Biggs honestly seems like the most emotionally fragile player I've ever seen in a Husker uniform. He gets down on himself constantly and easily, has chronically dejected body language, and constantly battles self doubt. His Twitter feed supports this. Tai honestly seems like he has a much thicker skin than Biggs does. If anything, I feel that Biggs is the guy who really needs to be coddled.

JMO, but I've never viewed Biggs as having a fragile psyche, at least not on the court.  I would have to agree with Kamdy on this one.  Having said this, none of us really know the answer.  I'll defer to Miles since he's the one that is around them everyday.

Why did Benny play?

I'm shocked more people aren't bringing this up the stretch Benny played we were awful almost four on 5 at offensive end

Benny > Tai at this point. They both can't play offense and Benny is better at defense

Are you kidding? Tai actually was good last night. He made his only bucket, did not have a single turnover in 28 minutes, had 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. He drove the lane and kicked out to wide open three-point shooters at least 3 or 4 times, and we missed a few of them.

Benny saw 10 minutes of playing time and in those 10 minutes, according to Statsheet.com, we got outscored by 6 points. He makes it 4-on-5 on offense and is a 5-9 dude guarding Big Ten guards at the other end.

Why did Benny play?

I'm shocked more people aren't bringing this up the stretch Benny played we were awful almost four on 5 at offensive end

Benny > Tai at this point. They both can't play offense and Benny is better at defense

Please tell me you are kidding???  Benny is not better than Tai or Biggs at either end of the floor.  Parker got way to many minutes last night and it cost us. 

Why did Benny play?

Are you kidding? Tai actually was good last night. He made his only bucket, did not have a single turnover in 28 minutes, had 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. He drove the lane and kicked out to wide open three-point shooters at least 3 or 4 times, and we missed a few of them.

Tai was pretty good last night. My question is this: what happened to the guy who used to drive the lane at every opportunity? Where's the guy who got to the line 4-5 times per game? Granted, he had trouble finishing and also had trouble sinking free throws, but I want that guy back.

I feel that Tai went into a bit of a shell offensively after the Charleston Classic, to the extent that he's trying too hard to be selfless and rack up assists instead of looking to score. He's got to find a happy medium between those two extremes, because he's one of our best dribble-drive guys, and we need teams to respect his ability there. I feel he's been too passive lately.

He did drive and kick a few times last night.  I believe he threw the ball to like Section 114 on one of those, but still...

Are you talking about Tai?  It can't be Tai b/c Tai did not have a single turnover last night. 

Tai has not been stellar, no doubt.  But last night was actually a pretty good game by him.  I have said it before and I wll say it again.  Tai would have more assists if his teammates would hit open shots.  I can think of at least two times that Tai drove the lane, drew the double team and kicked out to Shavon for a WIDE OPEN jumer.  Shavon clanked one and passed up on the other.  This has been happening all year.  I do not see that type of penetration and creation from Benny.  Plus, on defense, Tai is not perfect by any means, but he has actually been better than I expected.  He gets some steals and his lengh makes him much more versatile.  Biggs is so small that when he switches off on a guy like Robinson he almost has no shot.  Tai is tall enough and big enough that he at least has a chance.  Miles also likes Tai's length when he goes zone.  Plus, for as quick as Biggs is, he plays "Ole!" defense, and he cannot seem to grasp the idea of how and when to switch.  Mind-boggling how much he struggles with it really considering his athleticism.  This is what bugs me the most about Biggs.  He has the quickness and athletic ability, so all that is left is focus and effort.  Those two things are completely in his control.

He did drive and kick a few times last night.  I believe he threw the ball to like Section 114 on one of those, but still...

Are you talking about Tai?  It can't be Tai b/c Tai did not have a single turnover last night. 

Tai has not been stellar, no doubt.  But last night was actually a pretty good game by him.  I have said it before and I wll say it again.  Tai would have more assists if his teammates would hit open shots.  I can think of at least two times that Tai drove the lane, drew the double team and kicked out to Shavon for a WIDE OPEN jumer.  Shavon clanked one and passed up on the other.  This has been happening all year.  I do not see that type of penetration and creation from Benny.  Plus, on defense, Tai is not perfect by any means, but he has actually been better than I expected.  He gets some steals and his lengh makes him much more versatile.  Biggs is so small that when he switches off on a guy like Robinson he almost has no shot.  Tai is tall enough and big enough that he at least has a chance.  Miles also likes Tai's length when he goes zone.  Plus, for as quick as Biggs is, he plays "Ole!" defense, and he cannot seem to grasp the idea of how and when to switch.  Mind-boggling how much he struggles with it really considering his athleticism.  This is what bugs me the most about Biggs.  He has the quickness and athletic ability, so all that is left is focus and effort.  Those two things are completely in his control.

Must have been Terran or Biggs or something.  There were a bunch of turnovers that made you go "huh?" last night.

Not Tai, he didn't have a turnover. Petteway missed Shields on an alley oop by about 10 feet. Webster did do that at Cincinnati I believe, but not last night.

It was Terran. Shields was headed to the corner and Terran tried to kick it over there but the pass was wide right.

Terran also overthrew Shavon in the 2nd half on what would have been a fantastic fast-break dunk.

That play pissed me off. 2 on 1 and we throw it away. Tried to make the spectacular play when Petteway at the very least could've taken the man all the way to the basket, made the basket, drawn the foul, or both. Huge moment.

I think Kamdy is on point regarding the handling of Webster vs Biggs. Biggs shows poor body language, but I don't think that has anything to do with a lack of confidence in himself.

If you have the time, go back and watch a little bit of the FGCU, Western Illinois, and SCSU games. Tai's body language/demeanor is night and day from then compared to now. It's pretty evident that he's mentally broken right now.

Didn't we bench him against Georgia and he responded with a great 2nd half performance?

I asked this question (semi rhetorical) on another board- Tai is obviously better and more consistent than Biggs on defense, but having Tai out there doesn't make us a good defensive team (not even close).... So what are we really losing by starting Biggs?

FYI, I'm undecided on the matter. I can see both sides to it. We lose bench production by by taking Biggs off it, and the long term idea is to make these guys play solid defense which probably isn't going to happen with Webster on the bench.

Over-generalization - just like any level of basketball there are jr college programs emphasis defense.

Wasn't both tai and Biggs on the floor together quite a bit too? I think Biggs is better off playing the 2 and tai as the 1. When tai needs a breather switch to have Biggs at the 1. Benny can play if we get into foul trouble. Tai'a defense is much better than Biggs IMO. Benny is quick, but a miss match all day. Benny's best attribute is that he can stay in front of his defender, which is what Biggs lacks. I want Biggs in for offense, but he also needs improvement on the defensive side of the ball. Tai needs to get back to his old self on offense and he would be a totally different player. I still go with tai starting and Biggs off bench.

Another thing that bothers me is why that so many times recently that people pass up on open threes or jumpers.. Then throw it away or drive into no mans land? Shields is my main culprit here. The guy just needs to shoot the ball and please let's have more than one person crash the offensive boards after a shot. Michigan game I saw way to many times we didn't crash on offense.