uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 15: Michigan

uneblinstu

Man...this one hurts...bad.

- I don't even really know what to say. This team did a lot of things right tonight but it lost in the details.

- You can point to the half court shot at the end of the first half and that was big, for sure, but the Huskers were outscored 21-7 in points off turnovers.

- Often it's not about how many, but often it's when.  Well, they missed one free throw all night and it was the last one they shot which was the difference in the game.

- They continue to rebound well.

- But they're having some defensive breakdowns that led to a ton of open looks at the rim for Michigan.  They didn't miss any that I can recall.

- Speaking of finishing at the rim, NU did a ton better at that today.  Maybe as good as I've seen from a Nebraska hoops team in a long time. 

- Glenn Robinson III is the goods.  Really, really talented player.

- I think it's time for Biggs to get the start over Webster.  He brings more to the game right now.

- Stauskus and Albrecht were assassins tonight.

- Smith keeps getting better and better.

- Shields HAS to get going. Sounds like he's been playing with a banged up knee, but they need to get that figured out.

- Bit of an off game for Petteway.

- On the replay I saw, it looked like the charge was the right call on Smith.  I'll check it again on the broadcast, but it looked to me like the Michigan player was in the air before Smith got to his spot. I think that was the right call.

- Not entirely sure I believe him, but it was a really great atmosphere, especially in the second half.  If the crowd keeps bringing it like they did in the second half, this is going to be a tough place to play.  It was LOUD.

- But, yeah, this one hurt...Miles said it. The players said it.  The fans are saying it. I hope they come out and take it out on Purdue.  

GOOD:

- Free Throws

- Biggs (especially) and Petteway

BAD:

- Turnovers

- Failing on defense after timeouts

- The PBA atmosphere (I'd have to say it was much worse than many Devaney games)

OTHER:

My sincerest apologies on behalf of the Nebraska basketball program for making it a close game at the end. I know you wanted to leave 3 minutes before that, but I hope you were able to make it out of the parking lot safely. (Sorry, I had to  :D)

GOOD:

- Free Throws

- Biggs (especially) and Petteway

BAD:

- Turnovers

- Failing on defense after timeouts

- The PBA atmosphere (I'd have to say it was much worse than many Devaney games)

OTHER:

My sincerest apologies on behalf of the Nebraska basketball program for making it a close game at the end. I know you wanted to leave 3 minutes before that, but I hope you were able to make it out of the parking lot safely. (Sorry, I had to  :D)

Well said

I not a Pertaway basher, but based on the standard he has set since AFTER the tournament this was a sub-par game for him.

IMO the biggest mistake of the game was 9 seconds left in the game, Smith sets a good screen and Biggs turns the corner with the ball in his right hand the defense is out of balance, he's gotten to the hoop all night and finished and then somehow a timeout gets called.

The shot they did get was a scoop shot against a set and packed D. Yes we did get a good tip try but our best opportunity at victory (or at least the lead at that time) was Biggs to the basket. Worst case he makes both FT's. at least that's how it ended in my head. Sometimes it is necessary to put the pen to the board to get a good shot but sometimes it's best to let players play.

I feel like I have been waiting ten years for us to make that final shot......

The atmosphere at times was rocking tonight but overall should have been better great attendance though 15k plus on a Thursday night for nu hoops my how things change

Shavon really is struggling and we could use him. Tough loss...we will have better days.

I not a Pertaway basher, but based on the standard he has set since AFTER the tournament this was a sub-par game for him.

IMO the biggest mistake of the game was 9 seconds left in the game, Smith sets a good screen and Biggs turns the corner with the ball in his right hand the defense is out of balance, he's gotten to the hoop all night and finished and then somehow a timeout gets called.

The shot they did get was a scoop shot against a set and packed D. Yes we did get a good tip try but our best opportunity at victory (or at least the lead at that time) was Biggs to the basket. Worst case he makes both FT's. at least that's how it ended in my head. Sometimes it is necessary to put the pen to the board to get a good shot but sometimes it's best to let players play.

yea i did not like the way he took that layup...just up square, either get the two shots or at least make an easier shot for yourself. instead of that scoop..would of liked to say ray coming off a curl, or biggs coming on a slash opposite of pettaway, rather than a highly contested dribble drive and only smith in the lane to rebound effectively

With only 9 seconds left, I'm not angry with the play they drew up. Had they called the time out with 18 or however many seconds we had when we got the ball past half court, they definitely could have had a better play. But I haven't felt this sad after a husker loss in quite some time. Tough one to swallow.

With only 9 seconds left, I'm not angry with the play they drew up. Had they called the time out with 18 or however many seconds we had when we got the ball past half court, they definitely could have had a better play. But I haven't felt this sad after a husker loss in quite some time. Tough one to swallow.

My point is we didn't need to draw a play for a good shot this time. Biggs had already created one and was on his way to the hoop. Just stared at the TV after the clock ran out in disbelief.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but Miles had already started to find a ref to call timeout before Biggs had turned the corner.

People have complained about Miles not using TO's. Here was just one case were one was not needed. I said somewhere that after games like this all coaches second guess themselves. That's one way to get better the next time the situation comes up.

Whether Biggs had turned the corner or not you could see MU's defense was not set & out of balance. With that situation and the ball in the hands of an offensive creator - play on.

And maybe I'm nit-picking, but with a three man crew you don't have to go find an official. There is always one standing right in front of you.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but Miles had already started to find a ref to call timeout before Biggs had turned the corner.

People have complained about Miles not using TO's. Here was just one case were one was not needed. I said somewhere that after games like this all coaches second guess themselves. That's one way to get better the next time the situation comes up.

Whether Biggs had turned the corner or not you could see MU's defense was not set & out of balance. With that situation and the ball in the hands of an offensive creator - play on.

And maybe I'm nit-picking, but with a three man crew you don't have to go find an official. There is always one standing right in front of you.

Good post

Sure you do. You still have to get the officials attention before you can call time out, so unless you're standing right next to him, which he often isn't, you have to make some effort to find him, and Miles had to come out three steps on the floor to find him, btw. That decision has to be made before Biggs started the play. They happened in quick succession, but Miles couldn't have known what was about to happen when he had to make the decision to call the time out. It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I still say, it's an easy critique in hindsight.

While I wish Biggs would have been able to take that last shot it's much more likely he gets blocked than Petteway.

Should we have had Smith and Pitchford in the game?

Maybe, but who do you sit?  Shields?  I like Gallegos' ability to hit a shot and Biggs' ability to make something happen if it all breaks down.

Was horrible coaching by Miles to have Parker out there.  That was the part of the game where it got away from us.  I know some like his game for some reason and believe he belongs.  But I don't see it and we were horrific for that stretch he was out there in the 2nd half.  Love Miles but he mangled the rotations at that point where we couldn't afford to. 

Legitimately asking, because my seats are at the opposite end of the court from where the action was and when people stand up, I have some trouble seeing (I'm not just a girl, but a SHORT girl)...I get that Michigan scored some points toward the end when Benny was in. But were those points because of his defensive breakdowns, or did they come while he happened to be in the game? I know the game is about teamwork and lineups and help defense can be a big deal -- but considering what we've seen from Benny so far this season (not great offense, but generally solid defender) it seems weird that the defensive breakdown would be due to him specifically. I just wonder if he's a scapegoat (as in, there were blown defensive plays but nothing he could have done anything about because he was doing his job, and his guy was sealed off) or if he was really the root of it.

Like I said, it could legitimately be either, for all I know...it was too late last night when I got home (and frankly, I was too tired of getting punched in the gut) to re-watch that part, but I couldn't really see it live. Any insight?

Legitimately asking, because my seats are at the opposite end of the court from where the action was and when people stand up, I have some trouble seeing (I'm not just a girl, but a SHORT girl)...I get that Michigan scored some points toward the end when Benny was in. But were those points because of his defensive breakdowns, or did they come while he happened to be in the game? I know the game is about teamwork and lineups and help defense can be a big deal -- but considering what we've seen from Benny so far this season (not great offense, but generally solid defender) it seems weird that the defensive breakdown would be due to him specifically. I just wonder if he's a scapegoat (as in, there were blown defensive plays but nothing he could have done anything about because he was doing his job, and his guy was sealed off) or if he was really the root of it.

Like I said, it could legitimately be either, for all I know...it was too late last night when I got home (and frankly, I was too tired of getting punched in the gut) to re-watch that part, but I couldn't really see it live. Any insight?

Seems most of the complaints about Benny are referring to his lack of offense and being on the floor at the same time with another player (Tai) who is struggling offensively.  But to your question, I didn't notice that Benny was the problem when we were having trouble defending the pick and roll or elsewhere.