6-12 In the Big 10

RealTime RPI has us going 6-7 the rest of the way to get to 7-11 and 15-15.  And that includes a loss at PSU and later on at Northwestern.  I believe those are both winnable for us.  Heck, even at Indiana isn't out of the question for us, IMO.

Sorry to be lazy, but which games do they have us winning and which ones do they have us losing?  Thanks in advance for doing the work for me.  :)

RealTime RPI has us going 6-7 the rest of the way to get to 7-11 and 15-15. And that includes a loss at PSU and later on at Northwestern. I believe those are both winnable for us. Heck, even at Indiana isn't out of the question for us, IMO.

Sorry to be lazy, but which games do they have us winning and which ones do they have us losing? Thanks in advance for doing the work for me. :)
Win every home game except wiscy.... Lose every road game

RealTime RPI has us going 6-7 the rest of the way to get to 7-11 and 15-15. And that includes a loss at PSU and later on at Northwestern. I believe those are both winnable for us. Heck, even at Indiana isn't out of the question for us, IMO.

Sorry to be lazy, but which games do they have us winning and which ones do they have us losing? Thanks in advance for doing the work for me. :)

We always get a ranked team at home and lose 2 or 3 we shouldn't at home.

So accounting for OSU and Michigan we will lose 1 to 2 more at home.

We need to get 1-2 wins on the roach.

This place needs some cold water.

Yep.  This.

Here is what I  keep telling myself.  We have 6 losses right now.  5 of them are to teams that come Monday may all be ranked.  4 on the road and 1 at a neutral site.  I still see this team winning its fair share of games.  For the first time in what seems like forever, we should have a home court advantage.  I think we can win a fair amount of games at home still.  Then what we HAVE to do is get a few wins over teams like PSU, NW and maybe a Purdue on the road.  

I REALLY hope we can get a win on Thursday.  Partly because we need it from the psychological standpoint.  Plus, the other thing that gives me hope is that I thought by the end of last year we were light years better than when we started the year.  I'm hoping for the same this year.  And if you look at our last 8 games, several are "winnable".  

vs Illinois (winnable at home)

@MSU (not likely obviously)

vs Penn State (winnable obviously)

vs Purdue (winnable)

@Illinois (not likely)

vs Northwestern (winnable obviously)

@Indiana (not likely)

vs Wisconsin (can we get that one really big home upset?)

You look at that, and if we could somehow take care of home court, we can go 5-3 to end the season.  Our schedule to start is simply a nightmare, no matter what team is playing it.

@Penn State (loss)

vs. Minnesota (loss)

vs. Indiana (win)

@Michigan (blowout loss)

@NW (loss)

vs. Illinois (loss)

@Michigan State (blowout loss)

vs. Penn State (win)

vs. Purdue (win)

@Illinois (blowout loss)

vs. NW (win)

@Indiana (loss)

vs. Wisconsin (loss)

5-13

•       

If my memory is correct, we've actually played MSU fairly competitive over the years, havent we?

You could say that at least 2 of the 4 were very winnable games. I'll take those odds.

2011:

L 68-55 (59-55 with 3:36 remaining), MSU ranked 16

L 62-34 (23-15 at half), MSU ranked 6

2012:

L 66-56 (55-54 with 2:16 remaining), MSU ranked 22

L 73-64 (65-56 with 1:19 remaining), MSU ranked 8

I see maybe one more blowout.... Not 3. Give the guys credit for fighting and playing with other teams! Other than Michigan State I expect to be in EVERY game

Despite playing them at home, I'm a little concerned with how we match up with Wisconsin.  Walt may need to have the game of his life for us to compete in that one.

Yep.  This.

So, the two extra wins ajb might be talking about would be winning all of them at home -- including Wiscy -- and picking up a road win at maybe PSU.

Not impossible.  But we'll have to cash in a few chits with the basketball gods who didn't get Roburt Sallie qualified and gave Tony Farmer a new car from a booster and let Josh Carter's 3-ptr at the buzzer drop and ... I could go on.  And on.  Hey, hoops gods, you owe us this.  And you know it.

Here is what I  keep telling myself.  We have 6 losses right now.  5 of them are to teams that come Monday may all be ranked.  4 on the road and 1 at a neutral site.  I still see this team winning its fair share of games.  For the first time in what seems like forever, we should have a home court advantage.  I think we can win a fair amount of games at home still.  Then what we HAVE to do is get a few wins over teams like PSU, NW and maybe a Purdue on the road.  

I REALLY hope we can get a win on Thursday.  Partly because we need it from the psychological standpoint.  Plus, the other thing that gives me hope is that I thought by the end of last year we were light years better than when we started the year.  I'm hoping for the same this year.  And if you look at our last 8 games, several are "winnable".  

vs Illinois (winnable at home)

@MSU (not likely obviously)

vs Penn State (winnable obviously)

vs Purdue (winnable)

@Illinois (not likely)

vs Northwestern (winnable obviously)

@Indiana (not likely)

vs Wisconsin (can we get that one really big home upset?)

You look at that, and if we could somehow take care of home court, we can go 5-3 to end the season.  Our schedule to start is simply a nightmare, no matter what team is playing it.

@Penn State (loss)

vs. Minnesota (loss)

vs. Indiana (win)

@Michigan (blowout loss)

@NW (loss)

vs. Illinois (loss)

@Michigan State (blowout loss)

vs. Penn State (win)

vs. Purdue (win)

@Illinois (blowout loss)

vs. NW (win)

@Indiana (loss)

vs. Wisconsin (loss)

5-13

•       
  •  

BJoe....I hope you are wrong on a lot of those. 

I still think this team can win 6-7 more B10 games this year.  I like our team at home this year, and if we can find a way to steal a couple road wins, its VERY doable.  All starts Thursday.  Hope we play well and find a way to get that win.

Yep. This.

So, the two extra wins ajb might be talking about would be winning all of them at home -- including Wiscy -- and picking up a road win at maybe PSU.

Not impossible. But we'll have to cash in a few chits with the basketball gods who didn't get Roburt Sallie qualified and gave Tony Farmer a new car from a booster and let Josh Carter's 3-ptr at the buzzer drop and ... I could go on. And on. Hey, hoops gods, you owe us this. And you know it.

Guys, we're a tip in or 1 trash call away from being undefeated at home. PBA is apparently a tough venue to play in. I agree with Norm here. Need to ditch the bad luck mentality and allow the hoop gods to let this program achieve what it deserves. We may not win out at home. Okay, most likely won't win out at home. But we will have a chance to win each remaining game. Snatch those road wins-starting with 1 tomorrow-and we're set.

If we ever want to get the program where we want, it must start with small steps. You have to win at least 2 conference road games each year minimum to get to 11-7, which is near NCAA lock status. Moving forward, this is the type of game we need to take advantage of. I hope we come out tomorrow ready to play.

Yep. This.

So, the two extra wins ajb might be talking about would be winning all of them at home -- including Wiscy -- and picking up a road win at maybe PSU.

Not impossible. But we'll have to cash in a few chits with the basketball gods who didn't get Roburt Sallie qualified and gave Tony Farmer a new car from a booster and let Josh Carter's 3-ptr at the buzzer drop and ... I could go on. And on. Hey, hoops gods, you owe us this. And you know it.

Guys, we're a tip in or 1 trash call away from being undefeated at home. PBA is apparently a tough venue to play in. I agree with Norm here. Need to ditch the bad luck mentality and allow the hoop gods to let this program achieve what it deserves. We may not win out at home. Okay, most likely won't win out at home. But we will have a chance to win each remaining game. Snatch those road wins-starting with 1 tomorrow-and we're set.

I'm with ya.  I look at almost every home game as winnable and have all year.  In fact, I believe I posted that awhile back.  I knew the first 5 games would be tough.  Like you said, had we just gotten that tip in late and beat Michigan, we would be right about where I thought we would be record wise. 

Lets worry about Thursday and see how it goes.  Would be huge to get a road win then come home for a home game with a 2 game win streak.

Win this one.... And the OPPORTUNITY is there to go to 4 and 4 in conference play. Notice I said opportunity... Not that we will... But it's a good opportunity. I know some predicted an 0 and 6 conference start... So we have exceeded those expectations. I thought we would get a couple wins in our first 6 and had us going .500 so a win keeps us on track for me.

Doesnt hurt to dream... Go Big ReD

@Penn State WIN

vs. Minnesota WIN

vs. Indiana WIN

@Michigan LOSS

@NW WIN

vs. Illinois WIN

@Michigan State LOSS

vs. Penn State WIN

vs. Purdue WIN

@Illinois LOSS

vs. NW WIN

@Indiana LOSS

vs. Wisconsin WIN UPSET

OVERALL 18-12

BTN 10-8

@Penn State WIN

vs. Minnesota WIN

vs. Indiana WIN

@Michigan LOSS

@NW WIN

vs. Illinois WIN

@Michigan State LOSS

vs. Penn State WIN

vs. Purdue WIN

@Illinois LOSS

vs. NW WIN

@Indiana LOSS

vs. Wisconsin WIN UPSET

OVERALL 18-12

BTN 10-8

Man.... We do that and we can start the NCAA bubble talk! The odds of this are what? 15 to 25 percent?

I know the odds are not great to do that but if we can defend our homecourt advantage and steal a couple wins on the road at Penn State and Nwestern you never know what can happen. I really think we could be hard to beat at home if can get some momentum going and it all starts tonight with a win on the road at Penn State.

Man.... We do that and we can start the NCAA bubble talk! The odds of this are what? 15 to 25 percent?

Sorry to be a math geek  ;) but if the next three games are all 50/50 type games on paper -- and considering we're a 4-pt dog tonight and Sunday's point spread for the Minny game will likely be 1 or 2 pts either way of pick'em, the next two certainly are 50/50 games at best -- our odds of just sweeping the next 3 are 12.5%. So based on Las Vegas numbers, winning 9 of the next 13 would be significantly lower than 12.5%, as a lot of those games will be 50/50 type games on paper.

Having said that, the team is improving rapidly, and I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. We all saw how much NU improved as the season progressed in Miles' first season, and this season's squad appears to be moving toward the same trajectory.

Tonight will tell us a lot about how quickly this team is maturing, which should provide a window into the rest of the season. With Petteway's and Biggs' FT shooting abilities and abilities to get to the rim, you have to like NU's chances in 50/50-type games decided on the last possession or two - certainly significantly better than at any time in the past several seasons ... and yes, I feel like we should have won the Michigan game.  :P Still don't know how the tip didn't go in.

@Penn State WIN

vs. Minnesota WIN

vs. Indiana WIN

@Michigan LOSS

@NW WIN

vs. Illinois WIN

@Michigan State LOSS

vs. Penn State WIN

vs. Purdue WIN

@Illinois LOSS

vs. NW WIN

@Indiana LOSS

vs. Wisconsin WIN UPSET

OVERALL 18-12

BTN 10-8

It's not completely unachievable. I mean, it's not like we have to go on the road and beat the likes of MSU, WISC, etc to do this. Odds aren't high, but they aren't at 0 either

@Penn State WIN

vs. Minnesota WIN

vs. Indiana WIN

@Michigan LOSS

@NW WIN

vs. Illinois WIN

@Michigan State LOSS

vs. Penn State WIN

vs. Purdue WIN

@Illinois LOSS

vs. NW WIN

@Indiana LOSS

vs. Wisconsin WIN UPSET

OVERALL 18-12

BTN 10-8

It's not completely unachievable. I mean, it's not like we have to go on the road and beat the likes of MSU, WISC, etc to do this. Odds aren't high, but they aren't at 0 either

Considering our longest win streak in conference play since arriving to the Big Ten is 1... this might be a little difficult (historically).

@Penn State WIN

vs. Minnesota WIN

vs. Indiana WIN

@Michigan LOSS

@NW WIN

vs. Illinois WIN

@Michigan State LOSS

vs. Penn State WIN

vs. Purdue WIN

@Illinois LOSS

vs. NW WIN

@Indiana LOSS

vs. Wisconsin WIN UPSET

OVERALL 18-12

BTN 10-8

Considering our longest win streak in conference play since arriving to the Big Ten is 1... this might be a little difficult (historically).

We're working on losing that losing mentality going forward. It has to stop sometime.