6-12 In the Big 10

I am a bit dissappointed so far. I thought we wod be better, keep in mind when Miles was hired I predicted a tournament appearance in year 4 or 5, I am thinking year 5 now. The dissappointment to me has been the play of our 2 returning pieces in Gallegos and Shields. I really thought Shields could become more consistent on a nightly basis and that growth just hasn't happened. Gallegos hasn't been scoring as I thought he would, even without a big being present, the better athletes and ball rotation alone should get him more shots. Webster has been about what I expected. While Hammond is a good edition, I don't think he comes in as a freshman and turns us in to a tourney team. Really, this team needs to "grow up". I didn't think NIT this year, I thought the NIT run was next year. For this team to ever make the tourney we will have to just about nail every non con. 9-9 in this league is tough.

Is Shields in the dreaded "sophomore slump?"

I think Shields is combatting a couple of different things.  In a sophomore slump, you usually have a guy who played well as a freshman who struggles when asked/expected to take on an increased role after whatever seniors on the prior team depart.

With Shields, the problem is that we've brought in some guys who compete with him for touches and, whereas last year, you didn't have to be assertive to find your touches, this year he has to be.  Last year, he had no option.  He had to be that guy.  This year, the team can find points in other places and Shavon is getting lost in the shuffle on the offensive end a little bit.

Shields remains a solid player.  He and Petteway need to figure out a way to compliment each other.  I think they will and I think Shavon will be fine. 

And another possible issue is that they worked on his shot in the off-season trying to get his release higher.  I think his shot looks better but he might not be totally confident in it yet.  So, that might take some adjusting time.  Just a lot of things flying around right now for him.  Fortunately, the kid is just a sophomore and there's plenty of time to watch him improve.

im happy with 6 wins, as stated before, and above, the Big Ten is top heavy, this year and most years, and you can see are most glaring problem, Justin Jackson  from Cincy is a good post player, but our lack of interior defense made him look first round quality, we are a big man, and another year of seasoning away, from top 6 finishes in the big 10. Like Gumbo, this NU team, needs more time...now that im hungry, its time to go get some gumbo..

Is Shields in the dreaded "sophomore slump?"

No, he just hasn't made much improvement in his overall game from last year to this year.

I don't think that's what's going on.  See my post above.

I don't necessarily dis-agree with your points but my point is valid as well.  Shavon needs to improve his overall game.  My point with not seeing improvement has nothing to do with the amount of touches he is getting as opposed to what he does when he has the ball.  Shavon needs to work on his midrange jump shot as opposed to always looking to drive to the hoop each time.  He passes up wide open shots only to take a more difficult one.  Teams who have scouted him well will play off of him knowing that, most the time, he will drive.  The defender is better able to guard him because of this.  Many times a sophomore slump is due to not expanding your game and teams now know how to defend you better.  Shavon will be fine as he continues to gain experience.  He is still a strong assest on this team.

And another possible issue is that they worked on his shot in the off-season trying to get his release higher. I think his shot looks better but he might not be totally confident in it yet. So, that might take some adjusting time. Just a lot of things flying around right now for him. Fortunately, the kid is just a sophomore and there's plenty of time to watch him improve.

Shields is missing an incredible number of contested lay ups. If you watch him he dribbles into the lane pretty much hunched over reducing his 6'7 size to about 6'2 or so and he does not elevate at all. He simply throws it up towards the rim and misses it or gets stuffed. He doesn't double pump and he doesn't lay if up on the other side of the rim. Webster has same problem but did double pump in OSU game so he's learning.

Shields is missing an incredible number of contested lay ups. If you watch him he dribbles into the lane pretty much hunched over reducing his 6'7 size to about 6'2 or so and he does not elevate at all. He simply throws it up towards the rim and misses it or gets stuffed. He doesn't double pump and he doesn't lay if up on the other side of the rim. Webster has same problem but did double pump in OSU game so he's learning.

This.....Even Miles has said our guys have struggled with the "ball fake" quite a bit when getting into the lane.  Either that or I would like to see our guys draw more contact and hopefully get some fouls called and get to the line more.  It will come I think.  Hopefully starting Thursday vs a good Michigan team.

I disagree w you Norm. I think it's less about getting "better" and more about being consistent. I think he is in sophomore slump.

I don't think it's the traditional sophomore slump, though.  I think it has more to do with adding four transfers into the rotation.  I think that's caused an adjustment factor for him.  Trying to get his role figured out and established is going to mess with anyone's mojo.  I think Shields is a solid, mature kid who will get it figured out, so I'm not worried about him.  There's something going on but I don't think it's the "sophomore slump" in the traditional sense.

Since this thread won't die, I'll put the current RPI Forecast rankings in here...they still predict us to finish 13-17.  That's 5-11 in our remaining games.

RPIforecast rankings as of 1-7-14.
==============================

B1G (0-2):
1. Wisconsin
7. Ohio State - L

11. Michigan State

17. Illinois

30. Iowa - L
48. Minnesota
60. Michigan

66. Nebraska

90. Indiana

103. Penn State

105. Purdue

182. Northwestern

Non-Conference (8-4):
223. Florida Gulf Coast - W
314. Western Illinois - W
295. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
5. UMass - L
88. UAB - L
251. Georgia - W

210. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
111. Miami - W

22. @Creighton - L
143. Arkansas State - W
345. The Citadel - W
24. @Cincinnati - L

Other teams of interest:
100. Maryland (10-5)
70. Omaha (10-5)

215. Rutgers (7-8)

I think Shields is having a hard adjusting to his new teammates. Last year, the team shared the ball a little better and he benefitted. He doesn't seem to be the kind of vocal guy that would scream at his opponents to feed him the ball, so he gets lost at times. I suspect his confidence has taken a bit of a hit as a result.

Maybe it's the coffee I'm drinking, but looking at our schedule, I'm feeling a little optimistic right now, even though I don't think our team is particularly good. But we're certainly capable. I see more winnable games in the Big Ten than I ever have before:

vs. Michigan

at Purdue

at Penn State

vs. Minnesota

vs. Indiana

at Northwestern

vs. Illinois

vs. Penn State

vs. Purdue

vs. Northwestern

This is 10 games that I think we legitimately have a shot to win if we can figure out how to play for 40 minutes. Now, by no means am I saying we'll go 10-8. But even with 4 losses in this group of games, we'd still get to 6-12, and that's without even a big upset at home that we tend to get. If we miraculously won all 10 of these games, that would be 7-2 at home (losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State) and 3-6 on the road.

I know this won't happen, but our schedule after this brutal start really does set up nicely, and there is a distinct separation between the best teams in the Big Ten and the worst teams.

I'd say Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan State are in a class by themselves. Illinois (gaudy record with an easy schedule), Michigan and Iowa fall behind them. Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Nebraska and Northwestern, none of those teams is that scary this year, in my opinion. We get to play each of the last group at home and have a total of 9 games against those 5 teams.

We are definitely not a great team, but I don't believe a lot separates us from finishing 12th and finishing 8th. (Probably just a big man, unfortunately).

Nice post, Miles.

The talent deficit is one thing.  We could bring our "A" game against Ohio State and they could play so-so and still win because they're uber-talented.  But I don't think we've seen a Nebraska basketball team firing on all cylinders yet this year.  We've played well in stretches but we certainly haven't put it altogether the way I believe the coaches think we can.

If we get synced up for Michigan and play our "A" game and win that one (maybe even win it handily) that could do great things for the confidence of the players on this team and give us a huge momentum shot heading into the rest of the season. 

A lot has to happen for that to occur and it's far from a sure bet, but it's not a lost-cause season yet either.  There's a lot of basketball yet to be played.  I just want to see them build some confidence and momentum heading into next season when they'll be a much more veteran team.

We won 5 games last year.

We are more talented this year.

The Big Ten is not as tough as it was last year.

Our schedule appears easier at this point.

We shouldn't win fewer than 6 games, in my opinion. I would actually consider that a massive letdown, not that I'd be calling for anyone's job. But I would just be really disappointed.

I'm still optimistic this group can win its fare share of games.  As I pointed out earlier, to this point, we have pretty much lost all the games that most thought we may (outside of UAB).  UMASS-good team @CU-good team @Cincy-good team @OSU-good team @Iowa-good team. 

And outside of UMASS....ALL on the road.  Winning games on the road in college is very, very tough.  Then to make it tougher, you look at who we have lost too.  All of the teams listed above are in the top 30 rankings outside of UAB. 

I was just telling a co-worker today (and call me crazy) I still think we can win (if things go well....8 or so games in the B10).  Is it likely?  Probably not, but I'm still pretty high on this team.  The key for us is we HAVE to start making some shots.  I think our defense is slowly getting better and I think our rebounding is much better as well. 

We shouldn't win fewer than 6 games, in my opinion. I would actually consider that a massive letdown, not that I'd be calling for anyone's job. But I would just be really disappointed.

The bottom of the league is much stronger.  Penn State is WAY better than it was last year, and that accounted for two of our wins.  I don't see our schedule being easier.  At Cinci, At Creghton, and UMass on a neutral floor early in the season makes for a pretty tough schedule, tougher than  last year's. 

The bottom of the league is much stronger.  Penn State is WAY better than it was last year, and that accounted for two of our wins.  I don't see our schedule being easier.  At Cinci, At Creghton, and UMass on a neutral floor early in the season makes for a pretty tough schedule, tougher than  last year's. 

Sorry, I didn't translate correctly what I meant by that statement. I meant that looking at the Big Ten schedule right now, it seems easier than last year. Overall, yes our schedule is tougher.

And you're right, Penn State will be tougher because we beat them twice last year without Frazier. But we also have 1 less game this year against a top 3 team, so 1 less automatic loss.

Our road schedule is also much less daunting this year. We replaced road games at Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin (guaranteed losses last year) with Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana this year, all more likely wins than those 3.