uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 14: at Ohio State

uneblinstu

- Value City Arena seemed to have all the atmosphere of the Citadel game. Dead.

- OSU missing shots early, Huskers hitting the boards.

- Hawkins with a couple cheapies.

- Huskers got off to a good start, but it’s going to take more than that to win in this league. Gonna have to dig deep.

- Smith playing really well, hitting the glass hard, finishing around the rim. Lots of little things.

- Webster playin well, too.  Hit a big 3 and had a nice follow tip in to tie it at 19.

- OSU defense disruptive.

- NU struggling to get turnovers.

- OSU cranked up the intensity to end the half. NU didn’t handle it well.

- OSU with blistering start to the second half.

- Biggs continues to play well.

- Why do teams seem to shoot so well vs. NU?

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/419526030907285504

- Keep wondering why Hawkins is getting so many minutes when the game’s in doubt when he’s not really doing much to help the team in those situations.

- Odd to get Rivers in there, though it probably should have been expected with Pitchford being under the weather.

- Where’s Parker?

- Sheilds struggled again.

- NU did some things well early, but OSU's deep and talented. Just too much for NU to handle right now. Hopefully they'll be able to be a little more comfortable on Thursday for Michigan.

• We started out well, the first eight minutes, we won.  The next couple four minutes segments, we did okay, but from the last four minutes of the first half to the end…yuck.

• Rivers made it to the floor.   Very unremarkable.

We have to figure out the  officiating.   These last two games we get nothing.   I will not blame the refs per se, but as much as we take it to the basket, we should be to the line more than the opponent.

Pitchford was sick, hard to win on the road without your full team

We are on the road to be a decent team, but man…we  still seem a ways away.

Hard to think that we can beat OSU when we cannot play them within 25.

Ray played well the first four minutes, then once again kind of disappeared. 

Petteway once again played well.  Everyone else played poorly or perhaps below my expectations.  Wait, I will also say that Leslee did well.  Especially given his bum ankle.

This ending was a lot more disturbing then at Iowa.

It boggles my mind how we seem to struggle so much with I bounding the ball by the basket. Had a few turnovers cuz of it today

Has a lot to do with why we struggle on offense, guys are unwilling to work hard to get open. Just watch closely, we get guys trapped with the basketball more than any team I've seen. Usually ends with a 50/50 lob pass to a guy far away or a bounce pass into traffic. No one moves with any sort of urgency to get open.

A 31 point loss at Ohio State is no better progress than the last 2 trips to OSU. When will things change? I didn't expect to win, but we need to start doing some unexpected things to turn the program around. Very disappointing effort in the last 25 minutes.

The final margin is disappointing, but there has been some change compared to previous trips to OSU.  We were very competitive for most of the first half, which we haven't been in the last two visits to Columbus.  The talent is improving (needs to improve even more), but we still lack experience.  OSU started 3 seniors and 2 juniors.

A 31 point loss at Ohio State is no better progress than the last 2 trips to OSU. When will things change? I didn't expect to win, but we need to start doing some unexpected things to turn the program around. Very disappointing effort in the last 25 minutes.

The final margin is disappointing, but there has been some change compared to previous trips to OSU.  We were very competitive for most of the first half, which we haven't been in the last two visits to Columbus.  The talent is improving (needs to improve even more), but we still lack experience.  OSU started 3 seniors and 2 juniors.

Yup.  And how many starters did we have that have played in more than 1 B1G game?

Two.

I think Miles hit the nail on the head in the post-game.  When asked what they need to go work on, Miles said, "Recruiting."

:)   I missed that.  We need that for sure.   We sure could use another Petteway and Smith.

Offensively I got Biggs, Petteway, Sheilds and Smith as our best overall players.   With some moxie, hard work and coaching we have to get Webster, Hawkins, Pitch and Ray doing more to make our team more offensive.

I think Miles hit the nail on the head in the post-game.  When asked what they need to go work on, Miles said, "Recruiting."

No doubt that it's true, but I don't think I like Miles saying it out loud. He's essentially saying he's coaching well enough but the guys he already has recruited simply aren't good enough to compete with the B1G boys.

No doubt that it's true, but I don't think I like Miles saying it out loud. He's essentially saying he's coaching well enough but the guys he already has recruited simply aren't good enough to compete with the B1G boys.

After you have heard this a number of times, you start to believe it and start to think you aren't good enough to play. maybe that is why we seem to miss some GATA by this group.

Just a thought not a fact.

First, he's exactly right.  We don't have the horses that Ohio State has and you're not going to beat thoroughbreds with plow horses no matter how well the plow horses are coached.  Complain about our struggles scoring points, bitch about the officiating (which I do a lot), criticize the coaching, but at the end of the day, the difference in the game was talent.

Second, Miles loves the one-liner, and everyone knows (or should know) that.  I didn't add the extra comments he made after the one liner where he said words to the effect that he loves our guys, thinks we have some good players, but said we need to go get some more.  And, again, he's right.

He said it the right way

The other problem being I don't think Miles is coaching all that great.

Let's chalk that comment up to frustration. Fans might like a coach promising to recruit better, but players hear, "The guys I have aren't good enough to win. I'm getting new guys." Some players might take it as a challenge, others would take it as being thrown under the bus by the coach. I don't think Miles would want to take the chance on losing his team two games into the BIG season, so I don't think that comment was really well thought out.

Let's chalk that comment up to frustration. Fans might like a coach promising to recruit better, but players hear, "The guys I have aren't good enough to win. I'm getting new guys." Some players might take it as a challenge, others would take it as being thrown under the bus by the coach. I don't think Miles would want to take the chance on losing his team two games into the BIG season, so I don't think that comment was really well thought out.

Totally agree Chuck.