WBB: Game #13 vs Northwestern

Row6Seat10

#18/#15 Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-2) vs Northwestern Wildcats (10-3)

Thursday, Jan. 2, 8 p.m.

Pinnacle Bank Arena

Tickets: Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)

KBBK-FM 107.3 Lincoln; KFFF-FM 93.3 Omaha; KBRB-AM 1400 Ainsworth: KCOW-AM 1400 Alliance; KBLR-FM 97.3 Blair; KHUB-AM 1340 Fremont; KRGI AM 1430 Grand Island; KHAS AM 1230 Hastings; KRVN-AM 880 Lexington; KODY_AM 1240 North Platte; KTZL FM 93.5 Paxton; KNEB-FM 94.1 Scottsbluff; KRFS-FM 103.9 Superior. In Chicago WNUR-FM 89.3 Evanston IL.

Free Live Audio: Huskers.com

Social Media: Posted Image@HuskersWBB Posted Image Nebraska Women's Basketball

National Television: Big Ten Network (PBP-Kevin Kugler; Analyst-Mary Murphy)

Posted Image

Huskers End Five-Game Home Stand with Big Ten Opener

The No. 18 Nebraska women’s basketball team will bid farewell to its five-game home stand by ushering in the New Year with its Big Ten Conference opener against Northwestern on Thursday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Tip-off between the Huskers) and Wildcats is set for 8 p.m.

Nebraska, which was the preseason pick of media and coaches to win the 2014 Big Ten title, closed non-conference play with a 10-2 record after rolling to an 89-53 win over Oral Roberts on Dec. 29. It was NU’s fourth straight win by 20 or more points during its current home stand.Northwestern completed non-conference play with an impressive 10-3 record. Freshman Nia Coffey has been a leader for the Wildcats in her first season. She lead the Wildcats averaging team bests of 15.5 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. Christen Inman gives the Wildcats another explosive freshman starter. The 5-10 guard is averaging 12.8 points. Maggie Lyon, who was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2013, ranks second on the squad in scoring with 13.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.

The Wildcats come to Lincoln with a 1-1 record in true road games and a 2-2 mark away from their homecourt in Evanston. Northwestern is 8-1 at home. Nebraska owns a 6-2 lead in the all-time series with the Wildcats

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - Jr. - F - 6.7 ppg

23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - Jr. - F - 13.4

35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Sr. - F - 20.7

33 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - So. - G - 11.5

1 - Tear’a Laudermill - 5-9 - Jr. - G - 8.4

Northwestern Wildcats

5 - Alex Cohen - 6-5 - Jr. - F - 7.0 ppg

10 - Nia Coffey - 6-1 - Fr. - F - 15.5

3 - Ashley Deary - 5-4 - Fr. - G - 7.2

24 - Christen Inman - 5-10 - Fr. - G - 12.8

25 - Maggie Lyon - 6-1 - So. - G - 13.8 ppg

Jordan Hooper needs 43 points to catch Amy Stephens (1,967) at No. 4 on Nebraska’s all-time scoring list. Hooper is 67 points and 59 rebounds away from becoming just the third Husker in history to achieve the 2,000-point, 1,000-rebound career milestones. Hooper would become just the fifth Big Ten Conference player in history to achieve those combined plateaus.

Jordan Hooper now has made 235 career three point baskets she needs 33 more to overtake all-time leader Keira Hardy’s 267 made three pointers.

Emily Cady ranks No. 5 overall in rebounding (8.5 rpg) and No. 3 in defensive rebounds (6.8 pg) in the Big Ten. She is also No. 3 in the conference in field goal percentage (.595). Emily needs 15 rebounds to become the 17th player in school history to reach the 600-rebound milestone.

Rachel Theriot ranks No. 2 in the Big Ten and seventh nationally in free throw percentage (.938, 30-32) and No. 2 in the Big Ten in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.1-to-1). She also ranks No. 4 in the conference in assists (5.5 apg).

GAME NOTES

Click here to view the article

Let's make this a statement game to the rest of the league......"That we're still here and we mean business." The Big Ten pundents having looked at our weak schedule and loss at home to Washington St and drubbing by the Tarheels have knocked us down a peg or two in preseason picks. Control the boards limit the turnovers and make our free throws and we should be all right!

66-65 final!

I could have swore for a moment a Big 12 game busted out in Pinnacle Bank Arena. Shades of an old ISU or Missouri game of way back when..

Too close for comfort in my book! Theriot with a great stat line 19 points 8 assists 6 boards and a three pointer at the shot clock that somehow it gold!

Hooper with a double double 14 points and 10 rebounds. Cady just missed a double double 11 points and 9 boards. And Tee with 14 points and 5 dimes both her and Brandi with some hustle plays out there. Great crowd tonight not sure the total count yet. All though with 3 and a half minutes left people started heading for the exits?! What's that about?

I wish Emily when she gets that ball underneath the bucket she would start to go straight up with it. That little head fake she does just gives the defender enough time to get in position to get a hand on her shot. She could have wound up with 20 tonight. 

Kudo's to Noah! Comes home for one game and goes home a Runza winner!!

This was the best game Laudermill's ever played for us.  She's really coming on.  I hope Theriot realizes from here on out we need her to think scoring and not passing first. She needs to average around 15 for us to be successful.  And as we saw tonight, we don't have much of a bench.  We basically played with 6 players and Brandi only played 15 minutes as our 6th.  I was excited with Havers her first game against UCLA but she has never come close to duplicating it.  She needs to really get stronger.  Not sure how much help she will be the rest of the year but having Hooper and Cady have to play almost the entire game will take it's toll down the road.  I was also hoping Tvrdy would give us some decent minutes but she has been a disappointment so far.  It was a good win for us.

6089 in attendance.

What's up with the actual vs. the other attendance because there were a LOT more than 4830 (or whatever the box score says the actual attendance was). Maybe all the kids that were there tonight got in free or something and thus weren't counted towards the "actual" attendance?

No doubt we're wearing that big bullseye on our backs and are going to have to bring our "A" game to every game from now on out. We're going to get the best from every team we face in the league as they all will do their utmost to prove they belong at the top. Emily and Jordan have to be at the top of their game from here on out and Rachel needs to look to shoot first and pass later. Hallie needs to focus on her shot and get that to the point we heard it was coming into the season. Tee and Brandi got to keep hustling hounding the opposing point guard. And the bench needs to focus on giving positive minutes when in the game.

6089 in attendance.

What's up with the actual vs. the other attendance because there were a LOT more than 4830 (or whatever the box score says the actual attendance was). Maybe all the kids that were there tonight got in free or something and thus weren't counted towards the "actual" attendance?

You got me.

Great win!  I wish Hallie would take the ball straight up when she is under the basket though.  I think I saw 3 times when she tried a head jerk instead and either missed or turned the ball over.  Otherwise I thought she played a pretty decent game.  That definitely was the best game I've seen T play. 

Keep it up Ladies!

66-65 final!

I could have swore for a moment a Big 12 game busted out in Pinnacle Bank Arena. Shades of an old ISU or Missouri game of way back when..

Too close for comfort in my book! Theriot with a great stat line 19 points 8 assists 6 boards and a three pointer at the shot clock that somehow it gold!

Hooper with a double double 14 points and 10 rebounds. Cady just missed a double double 11 points and 9 boards. And Tee with 14 points and 5 dimes both her and Brandi with some hustle plays out there. Great crowd tonight not sure the total count yet. All though with 3 and a half minutes left people started heading for the exits?! What's that about?

I wish Emily when she gets that ball underneath the bucket she would start to go straight up with it. That little head fake she does just gives the defender enough time to get in position to get a hand on her shot. She could have wound up with 20 tonight. 

Kudo's to Noah! Comes home for one game and goes home a Runza winner!!

I was yelling at the top of lungs calling those that were leaving people fair weather fans. It must be a trait instilled in people from being at the BOB all those years. And one more thing to note, before the game as my wife and were sitting eating our supper their was a gentleman talking another gentleman about how he hated PBA. And how he didn't like where it was built and he had terrible seats etc. To which the other gentleman asked where would you have built the PBA and his reply was he had no idea, he just didn't like it downtown. BTW he was an Arenano person because he was also asked if he had voted for the arena and he answered no. sorry for such a long post.

Great win!  I wish Hallie would take the ball straight up when she is under the basket though.  I think I saw 3 times when she tried a head jerk instead and either missed or turned the ball over.  Otherwise I thought she played a pretty decent game.  That definitely was the best game I've seen T play. 

Keep it up Ladies!

I need to give Tee props also. She's been doing a really good job lately. It seems as if the more she's been playing the better she's getting. I like that now she's starting to look for the open player when she drives the lane. I re-watched the game and it looks as if Brandi could have come away with some sore ribs on that charge she took late in the game. By the way she was set and the other gal just lowered her shoulder and plowed her over. Even the announcers said it was a bad call. 

Our Illinois game may have just got a little louder as Illinois is advertising a "Pack the House" night for our game in Champaign next week. They advertised on BTN last night during the Illinois-Wisconsin game that they're going to try and break a Genius Book record of having the most people in one place wearing a crown.

yeah my dad was complaining that they were going into stall, but on the time out i noticed Miss Emily bent over huffing and puffing.  i think rather than stall Connie was slowing it up to save the bigs.  lack of depth at the 4 and 5 is a major concern and i suspect will cost us a couple in the B1G

The officiating crew in this one sucked, bad. This really mystified me. The Huskers are favored, ranked, at home. Supposed to get the calls, not the shaft.

Curious Bugeaters1 what you meant about your comments to the wife pregame about them. Luckily there seemed to be one person on that crew throwing out makeup calls occasionally.

Tee was indeed outstanding..very aggressive.

The officiating crew in this one sucked, bad. This really mystified me. The Huskers are favored, ranked, at home. Supposed to get the calls, not the shaft.

Curious Bugeaters1 what you meant about your comments to the wife pregame about them. Luckily there seemed to be one person on that crew throwing out makeup calls occasionally.

Tee was indeed outstanding..very aggressive.

I just told her it was going to be a long night and that the Huskers wouldn't get many calls I have seen one of the ref before and she's isn't very good IMHO. Thats all I told her. And if you want me to I can name her but would rather not.