Nebraska's Talent

Bugeaters1

After watching today's game, Has Nebraska really upgraded their talent ? they have a 6' 10" player that IMHO should be on the bench, Guards that can't to the free throw line. Just a few of the things that I see as problems maybe the people that are better at seeing the talent can comment about it.

our biggest issue is we haven't upgraded our size.

Pitchford may be tall, but he can't score or defend inside. He's basically an oversized small forward.

Leslee is good, but i don't think he can play much more than 20 minutes a game and is probably really only 6'7.

Vucetic is most likely gone after this year.

so basically our only real inside presence is a 6'7 power forward who has bad knees.

next year we have a 6'10 center coming in, but we need at least one more if not 2.

After watching today's game, Has Nebraska really upgraded their talent ? they have a 6' 10" player that IMHO should be on the bench, Guards that can't to the free throw line. Just a few of the things that I see as problems maybe the people that are better at seeing the talent can comment about it.

Yes, it's easy to see upgraded talent.  If people can have patience as much of that talent gets experience, things are on the upswing.  Terran has some mad skilz and we haven't had a scorer like that in awhile.  Tai has size and tons of talent for his position; one could see flashes today, and if he and we stay patient the payoff will be nice.  Leslie is a post upgrade, we just need more bigs. Shavon struggled today but he is a talented,versitile player. Have only seen a bit of Hawkins, but he has good length and looks like he can play at this level. 

We're upgrading the talent, but this is a process.  I'm stunned at people's short term expectations.

Compared to what? Miles first year? Sure. Compared to teams that will be dancing? Nope. These new few recruits are going to be very critical to Miles long term success here. That and actually keeping the talent he has brought in. The guy can't have a revolving door like Sadler.

Yes to both of your questions. I didn't clarify what I was meaning and sorry about that.

Yes, it's easy to see upgraded talent.  If people can have patience as much of that talent gets experience, things are on the upswing.  Terran has some mad skilz and we haven't had a scorer like that in awhile.  Tai has size and tons of talent for his position; one could see flashes today, and if he and we stay patient the payoff will be nice.  Leslie is a post upgrade, we just need more bigs. Shavon struggled today but he is a talented,versitile player. Have only seen a bit of Hawkins, but he has good length and looks like he can play at this level. 

We're upgrading the talent, but this is a process.  I'm stunned at people's short term expectations.

I understand it's a process, But with the upgrade one would have thought that upgrade would have helped both Rey and Shavon with some of the scoring. Other than Terran it doesn't look like much of an upgrade scoring wise IMHO.

I understand it's a process, But with the upgrade one would have thought that upgrade would have helped both Rey and Shavon with some of the scoring. Other than Terran it doesn't look like much of an upgrade scoring wise IMHO.

Well, Ray had 18 today, on the road against a bunch of long and athletic wing defenders.  Looked pretty damn good to me.

Well, Ray had 18 today, on the road against a bunch of long and athletic wing defenders.  Looked pretty damn good to me.

What about the rest of the season so far ? I agree he had a good game and they need more of those in the upcoming  big ten. Had he not had the game he had it would have been more discouraging.

We have had this discussion before HB and I totally agree with you.  My frustration is not with the (obvious to me) upgrade in talent, it is with the players that have visited here, but we have not closed on.  I am antsy when I see four and five star visitors who say that they had a great visit, but then go elsewhere.  When will we land those players?  But Petteway, Leslee, Webster, Walter and yes, Fuller and Hawkins appear to have much more basketball talent than players recruited in the previous ten to fifteen years.

Look, I loved Doc.  He was a heckofaguy.  But let's take a peek at just a few comparisons:

Ping versus Walter...

Alonzo versus Petteway...

Chapman versus Leslee...

Cookie versus Webster

Holley versus Hawkins

Biggs, Fuller et al.

Okay, I am being a bit unfair.  One can argue that Doc did secure some talent, but each talented kid came with a downside with any upside that seemed to exist.  Esaunte Jones, Sek Henry, Steve Harley, Brandon Ubel, Ray Gallegos, Danganduro, and others were pretty decent ball players, but none were difference makers.  One could argue that we really have struggled securing a pure shooter in the past many years.  Ray is perhaps the best we have had in years.

I agree it's a process. Shavon and Petteway are players, and they're both just sophs. Hawkins looks like he can play, Tai too. They have good size at guard, but they're freshmen. All of these guys make a lot of mistakes that they won't be making in another year.  And while our bigs are limited, they're decent players. Our frontcourt needs a couple more decent players to add up to something, but those two aren't stiffs. Sheesh, compare Pitchford to where Ubel was at the same stage.

I guess if you thought we were going to the NCAA this year, then you might be disappointed in our roster. I never expected us to have a winning record, but I see a lot of young players with ability. They just need to learn to play together.

Our lack of big men kills us. Pitchford isn't better than Brian Conklin in all honesty.

Outside of free throw percentage, they're pretty comparable as sophomores.  Don't compare Pitchford to what Conklin was as a senior.  Also, remember that Conklin was dreadful his junior year before having a huge, huge, huge senior year.  Right now, Pitchford and Conklin are actually pretty similar statistically as sophomores.  

2001-02 (Sophomore)
Conklin was fourth on the team with 9.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game while ranking among the league leaders in three-pointers made per game (2.3) and three-point field-goal accuracy (43.3 percent). He added 24 assists, 14 steals and 10 blocked shots while averaging 25.3 minutes per game, which ranked third on the team.

Conklin worked hard to get inside the paint more often during the season, but as one of the team's best shooters from outside the arc, found better success from the perimeter against many opponents. Conklin's 65 treys during the season broke the NU sophomore three-point record of 62 set by Cary Cochran in 2000.

In conference play, Conklin picked up the offensive pace by averaging 9.9 points per game and hit 44.4 percent from the floor with 2.8 rebounds per game. Conklin hit an amazing 47.9 percent (46-of-96) from three-point range against league competition, ranking fourth in the league in three-point percentage and sixth in three-pointers made per game (2.9). While he only attempted 10 shots from the free-throw line, he made each attempt count as he hit nine. He also had seven of his 10 blocked shots against league competition.

During the season, Conklin was in the starting lineup 20 times, including in the first nine contests of the year before John Turek was inserted prior to conference play. Conklin joined Turek in the lineup against Texas and came off the bench only once in the final 12 games of the year. In the games he started, Conklin averaged 9.8 points with 3.8 rebounds.

Conklin scored a career-high 20 points on 6-of-11 shooting in a loss at Iowa State, with all six of his made shots coming from behind the arc. His six treys were just one off the then-NU single-game three-point record. That contest was one of 11 games Conklin reached double-figure points, including five straight late in the season.

In one of his best all-around games of the season, Conklin hit 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 3-of-5 from three-point range, to score 15 points against Kansas State in Nebraska’s 99-82 victory. He added four rebounds with one assist, three blocked shots and two steals vs. the Wildcats.

Conklin was the most efficient shooter for the Huskers over the final nine games of the regular season. During that stretch, he averaged 11.6 points per game while hitting a team-high 50.0 percent (34-of-68) from the floor. He was even more dangerous from the perimeter during that span, as he hit 52.7 percent (29-of-55) from three-point range.

Off the court, Conklin was named a first-team academic All-Big 12 selection. He was one of two Husker honorees, along with Cary Cochran, as NU had two first-team academic all-league selections for just the fifth time in school history and the first time since 1996. He was also selected to the 2001 Big 12 Commissioner’s Fall Honor Roll.

OK...love the team...and the coaching staff..but I'm about to go buy coach Miles a shirt that says anything close to "We are lacking one or two more big guys" so he doesn't have to say it anymore. Worry about what you don't have when you are out recruiting.... not while you are talking about a loss. Yes...it might have helped if they did have those guys..but they just have what they have. Those guys need to step up. They need to not do stuff that is going to get them benched. This team needs every available player to be able to play....unless you are injured....there is no reason to be benched.

OK...love the team...and the coaching staff..but I'm about to go buy coach Miles a shirt that says anything close to "We are lacking one or two more big guys" so he doesn't have to say it anymore. Worry about what you don't have when you are out recruiting.... not while you are talking about a loss. Yes...it might have helped if they did have those guys..but they just have what they have. Those guys need to step up. They need to not do stuff that is going to get them benched. This team needs every available player to be able to play....unless you are injured....there is no reason to be benched.

But it's the truth.  And I'm fairly certain when he's addressing the team he's not telling them "don't worry, it's ok to lose, we're a big guy short."

I agree....Miles and staff have had two recruiting seasons now to get a big body in the post but instead left a scholarship open each year. That is really coming around to hurt this team and is disappointing. It didn't have to be an all-American, just a big guy that can rebound.

I think this is TM's advertising that if you are a big man out there...think you can play in the B1G... and want immediate playing time...NU is where you need to be...as you won't be riding pine behind anybody.

I'm still puzzled by the Vucetic situation. You can't tell me he couldn't of come in even to just foul Jackson a couple times when he was killing us in the paint. It's possible miles realized he made a mistake by offering vucetic, but that doesn't mean you still can't play him in certain situations. Put Vucetic in the middle of a 2-3 zone where he doesn't have to guard anyone and can at the very least take up space.

I'm still puzzled by the Vucetic situation. You can't tell me he couldn't of come in even to just foul Jackson a couple times when he was killing us in the paint. It's possible miles realized he made a mistake by offering vucetic, but that doesn't mean you still can't play him in certain situations. Put Vucetic in the middle of a 2-3 zone where he doesn't have to guard anyone and can at the very least take up space.

This.

And use Rivers for Gods sake. 

Guards that can't get to the free throw line.

Uh, what?  One of the strong points of this team is getting to the FT line.  

Compared to the last two years it's night and day difference and it's not just the rule changes.

I went and looked at the stats it has stats for 11 games. And here are the free throw stats for the 4 guards and the free throws per game for the season if this is an upgrade what was going on in the past ?

Free throws             games played     free throws per game

Biggs                       38                               9                             4.222

Gallegos                    0                               9                             0.000

Webster                   53                              11                            4.818

Parker                        5                              11                            0.454

Hawkins                      4                               3                             1.333

Total

10.827

Here is Minnesota's free throw stats for guards

Hollins Dre                   68                            12                           5.667

Hollins Austin               39                            12                           3.250

Mathieu                        49                            12                           3.917

Smith                            20                            11                           1.818

Total

14.650