12/21/2013 - The Citadel Report Card

hhcdave

Plus, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Walter was definitely not 100% yesterday. He spent much of the 2nd half on the bike, and that may be part of the reason he only got 12 minutes

Good eye

Yeah, I noticed that to.  Has anyone heard anymore details regarding Pitchford?  I'm assuming he just pulled a muscle.  Hopefully whatever it is it is something minor.  We need his shooting and rebounding.

Noah was back.  Despite a lackluster perfromance by our Huskers, Noah brought it consistently throughout the game.  He has refined some of his dance moves, and worked them into his routines flawlessly.  A solid "A" on the Noah Report Card.  

I was only featured on HuskerVision once, however.  I would think that the crew should know which songs are my signatures: "Fire", "Heartbreaker," "KC Medley," or "Offspring Medley."

There's also not a lot of room there to dance in the new arena  :P

Plus, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Walter was definitely not 100% yesterday. He spent much of the 2nd half on the bike, and that may be part of the reason he only got 12 minutes

Good eye

Yeah, I noticed that to. Has anyone heard anymore details regarding Pitchford? I'm assuming he just pulled a muscle. Hopefully whatever it is it is something minor. We need his shooting and rebounding.

Definitely need him. Pitchford had made great strides in interior aggressiveness and rebounding the last few games. Was this apparent injury/gimpiness evident the entire game or did it happen during the contest? There's was one play in the 2nd half where Pitchord thought he had a monster jam going down the right baseline. Then I think he realized a defender was there and had to awkwardly dip under and almost came up short on the dunk attempt. Maybe when it happened?

I thinking that for us part of the issue as fans is coming off of 6 years of a coach that couldn't be more different than this one is. I keep catching myself watching NU through the lens of Sadler--looking for discipline, ferocious defense, a sense that no game can be taken for granted from a team that knew it wasn't good enough for swagger. In short, a more humble crew.

It's as if for the first time in years, we have to return to the Nee days--a coach far more similar to Miles--where the tradeoff of getting better athletes is that you lose some of the blue collar charm of a lesser talented team that knows it has to bust its ass to win against anyone.

Maybe I'm alone in that thought, and that's cool. But I'm finding it hard to like this team at all; not because they're bad kids, but because their approach to playing the game is so different than what I've been conditioned to and also the way they're coached is so different than what I was used to.

I agree that this coaching style is almost opposite of Doc's.  I think we all agree the we are not going to find many coaches that coached defense, disipline, and unselfish play, better than Doc.  IMO, at times, Doc did all that to a fault by being too strict on offense.  My concern is that in Miles' first 2 years, I am not seeing a huge jump in talent.  Transfers are great, but there is a reason they transferred.  And as I have stated before, selfish play in games is a result of Coach Miles allowing it in practice.  I agree that Shields is being left out at times during games.  Is that a result of someone being selfish?

This team may have bigger problems than I thought.  We ended up having to use our main rotation throughout this game.  Was our bench there?  Honestly would have liked to see some of those guys to hopefully get the starters focused.

Miles will have a task of not losing the team this season.  A loss @Cincinnati and then they're looking at starting 0-5 in conference before playing on the road @Penn State.  A real possibility considering the team is softer inside than last year.  Would have liked Miles to utilize more size in the non-conference (e.g. Vooch and Kurkowski) to at least see if they can keep Pitchford out of foul trouble during conference play.

I thinking that for us part of the issue as fans is coming off of 6 years of a coach that couldn't be more different than this one is. I keep catching myself watching NU through the lens of Sadler--looking for discipline, ferocious defense, a sense that no game can be taken for granted from a team that knew it wasn't good enough for swagger. In short, a more humble crew.

It's as if for the first time in years, we have to return to the Nee days--a coach far more similar to Miles--where the tradeoff of getting better athletes is that you lose some of the blue collar charm of a lesser talented team that knows it has to bust its ass to win against anyone.

Maybe I'm alone in that thought, and that's cool. But I'm finding it hard to like this team at all; not because they're bad kids, but because their approach to playing the game is so different than what I've been conditioned to and also the way they're coached is so different than what I was used to.

I agree that this coaching style is almost opposite of Doc's. I think we all agree the we are not going to find many coaches that coached defense, disipline, and unselfish play, better than Doc. IMO, at times, Doc did all that to a fault by being too strict on offense. My concern is that in Miles' first 2 years, I am not seeing a huge jump in talent. Transfers are great, but there is a reason they transferred. And as I have stated before, selfish play in games is a result of Coach Miles allowing it in practice. I agree that Shields is being left out at times during games. Is that a result of someone being selfish?
I'm of the camp that this Shields being left out thing is a little overplayed right now. Could he be given more opportunities? Sure. But at least some of it stems from the way Shields plays. Extremely smart player, doesn't force it, let's the game come to him, etc. And numbers don't tell the whole story. This last game, for example, Shields only has 6 shot attempts, Petteway with 18. Shields is not the aggressive slasher Petteway is. He's more apt to pass rather than take his man and get to the rim if it's not there. Could Miles draw up more things for Shields specifically? Probably. In the Miami game I watched Shields go at the rim 4 or 6 times in the first half of that game alone and all of them were either blocked or altered and missed. It was almost like someone told him to be more agressive in that game, and he was when he shouldn't have been. Then this last game I noticed Shavon had isolation on his man out on the wing/corner with no defender under the rim, and he got bottled up and was forced to pass. So I guess we want Shields to get more involved but do we really want a 2nd agressor forcing it to the rim when we already have one of those in Petteway? Or do we want to just let Shields do his thing, waiting for things to come to him with the expectation that it's not always going to be there? Again, I'm not saying that we don't want shields more involved but this is some adjustment for us having multiple options, trying to figure out what each can do and when they should do it.

Good eye

Yeah, I noticed that to.  Has anyone heard anymore details regarding Pitchford?  I'm assuming he just pulled a muscle.  Hopefully whatever it is it is something minor.  We need his shooting and rebounding.

IIRC, Miles said in his radio post-game interview that he sat Pitch for too many defensive mistakes.  Didn't allude to injury as being why. Take that fwiw.