weak a$$ student section

rwmctrofholz

To the student section at the Pinnacle Bank Arena:

I’m calling you guys out. You were given the best seats in the arena, at a ridiculously discounted rate I may add, due to the level of excitement that you were supposed to bring to this new chapter in Husker basketball. To date, you have earned a resounding “F” grade for the noise, passion, and intimidation that you have brought to the PBA. As a matter of fact, I would categorize your presence at the home games as down right embarrassing. 

Any coach or player, at any level, will tell you that the team feeds off the energy from their home crowd. This is not conjecture or a backhanded way to get the crowd excited, this is just the way it is. Having said this, the team receives their energy from the crowd, and the crowd’s energy is driven by the student section. Do you see the progression? Creighton fans love to make the blanket statement that, “Nebraska fans are largely uneducated when it comes to basketball,” and the fact that I’ve heard mouse farts booming over the lull of the student section this year, has only served at evidence that the sCUm fan base may be correct. Speaking of Creighton, I can tell you that I attend both Nebraska and Creighton home games and their student section puts ours to shame. It should be pretty humbling* to you that the Creighton students, who you outnumber 3 to 1, AND who are tucked away at the end cap of the court, are the bedrock of the passion that fills the Century Link Center. * “sickening” would also work here. 

If you disagree with me, and want to stick it to me for having pointed out the obvious, then prove me wrong through your actions. Spare me the snarky, self-apologetic letter in response to this one, and do something to improve the situation. Get a little lubed up on adult drinks before the games if you must. Start a grassroots movement of tailgating before the basketball games perhaps. One up the token Scarlets and come up with your own chants and traditions. Research the teams we are playing and, appropriately of course, antagonize the opposing players and coaches. 

Last, if you are unwilling to due these things and would prefer to just sit on your thumbs massaging your prostates through the season, then get your tickets validated and trade them with me and other season ticket holders who want to motivate the team to play well; not selfishly wait for the team to make a play to get us excited.

Also, I'm a recent graduate of UNL (within the last 2 years) but I think I sat in the student section once my entire college career.  I didn't miss games, but I would always opt to sit in my parent's seats instead of the student section.  Not to sound pretentious, but I tried it once and couldn't believe some of the stuff going on in there.  As you said, just a complete lack of basketball knowledge.  Instead of being a dick and trying to correct everything, I just opted to sit with friends in reserved seating instead.  Much more enjoyable than listening to someone try to figure out why you can't tackle the guy with the ball.

Another thing I think they should work on- getting the greek community more involved/excited to attend games.  Nothing against dorm people (seriously, don't take this as a frat vs dorm deal or turn it into one), but their college network is generally more limited than the greeks.  If you convince someone in the dorms to go to a game, they might get 2-6 people to with them.  If you convince someone that lives in a house, they can pretty easily get 15+ others to go in a matter of minutes.

I agree it isn't great, but the two decent games in pba have been well attended and pretty loud in my opinion. The other 4 have pretty much been snooze fests for everyone. Arkansas state, western Illinois, northern Illinois, and South Carolina state are pretty hard to get extremely excited for. Like playing South Dakota state in football. First quarter is fun, but the rest is like a spring game.

I wouldn't look at the Arkansas State game as the blueprint for the season.  I actually think they have been much better this year.  It is hard to coordinate the two areas though, so that is something that can be improved upon.  Finals are this coming week...that may not be a great excuse, but it is an excuse.  Also, many students have to work, and Saturday afternoons are likely a work time for many of the kids.  Again, not making excuses per se` - but...

Agree on most points thus far.  Call it a coincidence, but our best two games of the year were Florida Gulf Coast and Miami where the student section made its presence felt.  This is all well and good, but, for example, when things were getting ugly in the Ark. State game yesterday, the students should have helped pick the team up.

While I'm thinking about this, maybe we should pool our money to get Jeff Hornacek on retainer to coach some free throw mechanics.  

hornacek1.jpg

We need something from the PBA to signal the second half.

It is like oh the game has started what is going on?

I like the idea somebody had about for the start of the third quarter of the football game.

It was the Johnny Cash's God's Gonna Cut You Down.

Need somebody to download it for me because I have my iPad and still can't figure out how to copy and paste from YouTube.

How do you expect the student section to be wild when we play Arkansas State and other scrubs?? They were great when we played FGCU and Miami. Get real

So your defense is "we are fair weather" and will only passionately support our team when we have a big named opponent?  Can't imagine why so many call Husker football fans bandwagon.  

Besides Northern Illinois (a scrub in your mind), Arkansas State basically gave us the next toughest game at home this year.

Last, if you read my post, you'll note that I requested readers to spare me the self-apologetic rhetoric.  

How do you expect the student section to be wild when we play Arkansas State and other scrubs?? They were great when we played FGCU and Miami. Get real

So your defense is "we are fair weather" and will only passionately support our team when we have a big named opponent?  Can't imagine why so many call Husker football fans bandwagon.  

Besides Northern Illinois (a scrub in your mind), Arkansas State basically gave us the next toughest game at home this year.

Last, if you read my post, you'll note that I requested readers to spare me the self-apologetic rhetoric.  

So you'll only accept the answers you want?  Awesome.

To the student section at the Pinnacle Bank Arena:

I’m calling you guys out. You were given the best seats in the arena, at a ridiculously discounted rate I may add, due to the level of excitement that you were supposed to bring to this new chapter in Husker basketball. To date, you have earned a resounding “F” grade for the noise, passion, and intimidation that you have brought to the PBA. As a matter of fact, I would categorize your presence at the home games as down right embarrassing. 

Any coach or player, at any level, will tell you that the team feeds off the energy from their home crowd. This is not conjecture or a backhanded way to get the crowd excited, this is just the way it is. Having said this, the team receives their energy from the crowd, and the crowd’s energy is driven by the student section. Do you see the progression? Creighton fans love to make the blanket statement that, “Nebraska fans are largely uneducated when it comes to basketball,” and the fact that I’ve heard mouse farts booming over the lull of the student section this year, has only served at evidence that the sCUm fan base may be correct. Speaking of Creighton, I can tell you that I attend both Nebraska and Creighton home games and their student section puts ours to shame. It should be pretty humbling* to you that the Creighton students, who you outnumber 3 to 1, AND who are tucked away at the end cap of the court, are the bedrock of the passion that fills the Century Link Center. * “sickening” would also work here. 

If you disagree with me, and want to stick it to me for having pointed out the obvious, then prove me wrong through your actions. Spare me the snarky, self-apologetic letter in response to this one, and do something to improve the situation. Get a little lubed up on adult drinks before the games if you must. Start a grassroots movement of tailgating before the basketball games perhaps. One up the token Scarlets and come up with your own chants and traditions. Research the teams we are playing and, appropriately of course, antagonize the opposing players and coaches. 

Last, if you are unwilling to due these things and would prefer to just sit on your thumbs massaging your prostates through the season, then get your tickets validated and trade them with me and other season ticket holders who want to motivate the team to play well; not selfishly wait for the team to make a play to get us excited.

Not really sure where to start with this gem.  Were you really expecting the students to be out in full force on a Saturday before finals week against Arkansas St.?  The student section definitely showed up for the Miami and FGCU.  Either you didn't go to these games, or have a personal vendetta.  

There is research done on opposing teams, and fact sheets are printed out for every game.  There is plenty of antagonizing going on close to the floor. I know that there is more than a fair share of pregaming that is done.  In fact, I have for every game except one.  However, do keep in mind that students do have classes following weekday games that they need to be productive for...  

If I'm gonna knock the student section for one thing it's pregame organization and promotion.  Concrete has a great point about getting Greek organizations more involved.  Organizing an entire student body is very difficult, and I think some of the leaders in Greek organizations would be great to help promote and help better organize the student section.  Getting groups of students to the games whether it be through Greek houses, dorm floors, or RSOs,  and not just individuals is key to having a rowdy student section.

Not really sure where to start with this gem.  Were you really expecting the students to be out in full force on a Saturday 

&

However, do keep in mind that students do have classes following weekday games that they need to be productive for...  

Man, things have really changed since I went to college in Lincoln.

Do any schools go all out for scrub teams? No. Cameron crazies aren't going to be cameron crazy if they play Arkansas Pine Bluff. And students have finals this week so i'm sure a lot were studying...

1. The student section has been fantastic for the 2 games that have mattered. The rest are just bad opponents and we don't exactly have a top 25 team out there. We're going to have to become something before NU basketball games become a cool place to be against crap opponents. For now, it's still seen as somewhat of a joke. Games like last week at Creighton don't help.

2. It's a lot louder on the floor than it sounds up top. I sit in the 300s and it sounds quiet, then you go down near the floor and it's very different.

3. I think there is a perception that games on TV are what every other place is like every game. It's not true. Usually whatever game is on TV is ranked teams or big games (Miami). I saw highlights of a UCONN (top 15) game a while ago when they killed some not very good team. Literally half the seats in the sections around the floor were empty and it was the first half.

Big Ten teams are about to start rolling through here and the environment will be just fine. I believe we are undefeated at home as well...and a lot of students are able to finish finals before finals week nowadays, so I'm sure some have already home home.

How do you expect the student section to be wild when we play Arkansas State?? Get real

Yes, that lowly Arkansas State team that outscored us by double digits in the 2nd half.

That's the students' fault? Guess we won't win any road games this year if our players can't get themselves psyched to play.

Not really sure where to start with this gem.  Were you really expecting the students to be out in full force on a Saturday 

&

However, do keep in mind that students do have classes following weekday games that they need to be productive for...  

You forgot the most important part of the quote.  "Were you really expecting the students to be out in full force on a Saturday before finals week against Arkansas St.?

This Saturday's atmosphere is not representative of how next semester's Saturday games against BIG foes will be.

And put me in the camp who enjoys partaking on some weekdays, especially nebrasketball weekdays. However, many students don't, especially when finals are coming up.  

&

You forgot the most important part of the quote.  "Were you really expecting the students to be out in full force on a Saturday before finals week against Arkansas St.?

This Saturday's atmosphere is not representative of how next semester's Saturday games against BIG foes will be.

And put me in the camp who enjoys partaking on some weekdays, especially nebrasketball weekdays. However, many students don't, especially when finals are coming up.  

+1, this is stupid and probably the least of our problems right now, when the B1G teams start coming the student section will be crazy. Plus last time I checked this was the students basketball team and the kids playing are student athletes. Students should be able to experience those types of seats. When teams like Ohio St come to town we will be glad those seats will be filled with students and not the blue hairs that get upset when the person in front of them stands.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg deal.  While there's been a lot of buzz about the arena and this team, it's still a mediocre team that hasn't done much.  It still comes down to winning.  Beat Michigan and Ohio State those first two games and the energy in the building will ratched up the rest of the way.  But you can't force college kids to be interested in your product.  You have to give them something to be interested in.  Otherwise, they'll move onto the next thing and not give it a second thought.  Call 'em out all you want, but in the end, the product on the floor will determine the support given to it.

Plus last time I checked this was the students basketball team and the kids playing are student athletes. Students should be able to experience those types of seats. When teams like Ohio St come to town we will be glad those seats will be filled with students and not the blue hairs that get upset when the person in front of them stands.

Where did you "check" to verify that the basketball team was the property of the students??  I would imagine that there are many many tax payers, coupled with many many boosters that would disagree with your contention.  That's a tangent though.

I appreciate the chicken and egg analogy, however my post was rooted in a lack of pride and passion from the students.  If showing up big for the Ohio State and Michigan State games is one's measure of pride and passion, then I guess that's your way.  A more passionate fan, in my estimation at least, are those that show up for most every game and cheer.  Fans that had student tickets in college and chose to sign on as season ticket holders after.  Fans who have endured year after year of mediocre basketball and still crawl back to the ticket office each Fall to renew their season tickets.  Call them crotchety blue hairs if you want, but these people will follow suit with the level of excitement coming from the students; which in turn funnels to the players.

Oregon.  Iowa State.  St. Mary's.  These 3 schools for example have only recently begun to experience intermediate success as far as wins and losses are concerned, but have a longstanding history of being the more difficult places to win at due to the presence, coordination, and drive of their student sections.  Shoot, the product Creighton has put on the floor at the Century Link is statistically worse than that of the CU teams that rounded out their era at the Civic Center, yet the energy in Century Link cannot be disputed.  Yes, the alcohol factor should not be overlooked, however, the 18, 19, and 20 year olds in the student section aren't their drinking.

Last, the counterpoints to mine have been to the tune of "students will cheer for big games"  or "players need to give us something to cheer for."  That's one way of looking at it I suppose. And, just maybe, I can accept that from the perception of a college kid.  Another way to look at it is that Nebraska is on the cusp of being a decent team and having a strong, proud student section could be the small advantage we give ourselves to get over the hump and start scratching out some wins that may have otherwise been losses.  With this comes confidence.  And with confidence a team isn't set up for failure when they go on the road.  Isn't this worth finding out?