Beer next season?

TourneyBound

Very foolish if they do not start selling beer.  Missed opportunity for A LOT of revenue.  Kegs are cheap to buy in bulk.  Add in a price tag of 7 bucks a beer; it's pretty stupid of the University of Nebraska to not allow sales of alcohol.  We need to stop living in the past.  T.O. needs to have his hands completely out of everything with the athletic department before we see sales of alcohol happen. This is just my opinion which I will probably be blasted for.  Good game yesterday though.  Would've been nice to have a refreshing beer to enjoy while watching. 

In our revenue driven society, it would surprise me if the private food contractor, city fathers, and Haymarket mavens do not see the economic sense in doing this, since there seems to be no Big 10 rule against it. Nothing makes it easier to part with greenbacks than a good lubrication with alcohol. The next step will be making lottery cards and pot available at the games as soon as it is legal to do so. Despite the University's seeming reluctance to condone the health and legal risks of binge drinking, the hypocrisy is pretty easy to spot if one just walks through the tailgaters on the way to football games. 

I jokingly asked for a coors light at the concessions today and the lady told me that she had heard that there is a good chance that next year they will be able to serve beer!! Anyone else heard anything about this as of late?

When you asked for a Coors Light, I'm surprised she didn't direct you to the bottled water section....   ;)

I jokingly asked for a coors light at the concessions today and the lady told me that she had heard that there is a good chance that next year they will be able to serve beer!! Anyone else heard anything about this as of late?

When you asked for a Coors Light, I'm surprised she didn't direct you to the bottled water section....   ;)

What do Coors Light and having sex in a boat have in common?

Considering the Rail Yard got all offended when the PBA hosted watch parties for the football games, I could see huge backlash about them serving alcohol because it "is unfair competition."

Considering the Rail Yard got all offended when the PBA hosted watch parties for the football games, I could see huge backlash about them serving alcohol because it "is unfair competition."

...other than it is served at other events at the PBA.  This is strictly a UNL bottleneck.  So until UNL changes its stance, beer will not be present.  And remember, if they change it at the PBA, they will likely need to change it at other venues as well.  Can you imagine beer at bowling events...yet even more exciting, how about at the rifle events :)

Also, keep in mind that there would likely be a snowball effect. The moment they would allow it at basketball games, they more-than-likely would have petitions to do the same for football games, volleyball games, et al. Considering the opinions of the administration, I couldn't see them going for such an idea.

Man, this is what happens when I type slow...ya got me by a minute Fever.

Cip, I guess that means Coors Light isn't a popular request in Hampton. Is anyone asking to watch NU basketball on the big screen yet? And I see Joba is now a Tiger. How about that?

Had the game on yesterday.  A few people were watching.  More people were into volleyball.  Nebrasketball has a ways to go to get back to the interest level of the 90's.  Miles will get us there. 

There are a few Coors Light drinkers.  Why, is beyond me. 

And I did a shout for joy at the Joba signing.  With my family connections to UNK, I'm planning on scoring a signed Joba Tigers uniform in the near future.  :)

Also, keep in mind that there would likely be a snowball effect. The moment they would allow it at basketball games, they more-than-likely would have petitions to do the same for football games, volleyball games, et al. Considering the opinions of the administration, I couldn't see them going for such an idea.

Football and Volleyball played on campus, campus is dry, no alcohol.

Basketball is played off campus, off campus is wet, alcohol.

All the other sports are on campus or in UNL-owned venues outside of baseball - NU is dry campus so it's pretty much a non issue for all other sports other than MBB and WBB.  Serve it at both those since they are played off campus.  Hell add in baseball, I know I'd be more interested in sitting through a 4 hours snoozefest if I could have a beer with my hotdog.

On an unrelated note, I'm a believer that the women should go back to playing in Devaney.  Much better atmosphere for the smaller crowds they draw and connected directly to their locker rooms and practice facility.  Sure, I'm sure it's kind of neat for them to be playing in a brand new building, but there is zero home court advantage there with a 1/3 full cave.

Completely wrong

Regarding the beer...I have heard that Miles wants it and is pushing hard for it to be sold at games. This first year they didn't want to press for it and held off out of respect for TO. Meetings have been held with Creighton officials to discuss how they have handled it, how few problems they've had, etc. Next season we will have it. These are things I have heard. No inside info, just things I've heard so we will have to wait to see if true. Regarding the snowball effect someone mentioned...PBA is an off campus facility, and therefore it is possible to have alcohol sold there. Memorial Stadium is on campus, correct? And so is Devaney now, right? The baseball is probably the only other facility considered off campus.

i've also heard that beer will be sold next year.

as for a "snowball effect," as others have said the only other sport that even has the option to sell booze is baseball.  Every other venue (Devaney, Memorial Stadium, etc.) is university owned while UNL is a tenant at PBA and Haymarket Park.  I don't believe the venue being on or off campus has anything to do with it, though.