12/14/2013 - Arkansas State Report Card

hhcdave

OFFENSE: A-

Nebraska earns an "A+" for its first half effort, as NU scored a season high 50 points on 53% shooting from the field (50% from downtown).

In the second, Nebraska was sluggish and took a lot of rushed/bad shots, as well as turning the ball over way too much (more on that later). The Huskers finished the second frame with just 29 points on 43% shooting, though in credit to them, they also shot 50% from three (3-6). Remarkably consistent! I'd give NU a "B-" for its second half.

Nebraska saw four players in double figures (Shavon Shields (15), Ray Gallegos (13) Walter Pitchford (12) and Terran Petteway (11)) and as we'll detail later, a lot of that was because of how well they shared the basketball. 

DEFENSE: C+

I thought Nebraska did a poor job in the post for the majority of this game and that was enough for Kirk Van Slyke to make them pay, as the Red Wolves big man finished with a game high 27 points on 11-15 shooting. That really, really concerns me, as Arkansas State had virtually nobody else in the paint to make you worry and obviously, Nebraska is going to see teams with two and three versions of Van Slyke come Big 10 play.

However, this is nothing unexpected, so the Huskers must continue to do all other areas of the game at a high level in order to combat its lack of talent and depth in the frontcourt.

Outside of the defense on Van Slyke, Nebraska played okay, and held Arkansas State way under its scoring average, yes.

However, dig deeper and look who they've played, and the points averaged become a lot less impressive, so I was not overly thrilled with how NU defended, especially in the second half (when the Red Wolves shot 50% and scored 40 points).

REBOUNDING: B

Nebraska finished three rebounds ahead of Arkansas State (39 to 36) but did allow the Red Wolves to go +1 on the offensive glass (11-10).

Our Player of the Game is Walter Pitchford, who finished with a double double in scoring the above mentioned 12 points while snatching 10 boards. Still, sick of seeing Nebraska teams allow rebounds off of short and soft misses on free throws, which happened down the stretch. I.E., I can understand some long misses, but short and soft misses should NEVER not be rebounded by the inside positioned team.

BALL HANDLING: B+

19 assists on 29 baskets? Terrific!

16 turnovers, however, including an additional stupid technical foul by Deverell Biggs (which may as well be a 17th)? Not good.

The Huskers also seemed to not understand how to finish the game and a lot of that was because of turnovers, trying to force things that weren't there and rushing into things.

So on one hand, great job distributing the basketball but on another, poor job taking care of it.

*** NOTE *** Very nice assist to turnover ratios by Tai Webster (5:2) and Ray Gallegos (4:0).

COACHING: A-

Nebraska came out on fire and looked as if it wanted to send a message to the rest of the country after being embarrassed last Sunday.

The Huskers did a much better job moving the ball around and finding the open shooter, and they completely dominated this game for 30 of the 40 minutes, also covering the spread in the process (even with a poor final 8:00).

That tells me they took care of business and came out focused and motivated. Nothing but praise for Coach Miles today.

OVERALL GRADE: B

A good win against an average opponent, with very few things to be disappointed about.

Hope the guys take care of business in the classroom this week and get ready for their final cakewalk of the year next Saturday 'cuz after that, "it's on like donkey kong!"

PLAYER OF THE GAME: WALTER PITCHFORD

2013-2014 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

TERRAN PETTEWAY - 4

TAI WEBSTER - 2

WALTER PITCHFORD - 2

LESLEE SMITH - 1

SHAVON SHIELDS - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

I have to say that I have yet to leave a game before the final buzzer.... however I see that the need to be somewhere other than your seat was brought over from the Bob. The line out the door started around the 8 minute mark.

Yes that bothers me. No excuse to leave early today.

Some habits are to break.

I have to say that I have yet to leave a game before the final buzzer.... however I see that the need to be somewhere other than your seat was brought over from the Bob. The line out the door started around the 8 minute mark.

I used to sit by a guy at the BOB that would yell at those people.  I never left my seat until 0:00 out of fear alone.  Plus, the game is never over with this team.

I used to sit by a guy at the BOB that would yell at those people.  I never left my seat until 0:00 out of fear alone.  Plus, the game is never over with this team.

lol..wonder if you sat in the same section I did.  There was a guy in my section that used to yell out to them that they were all cockroaches for leaving early. most would just walk by...but occasionally some would respond to him with a not so christian tone.

lol..wonder if you sat in the same section I did.  There was a guy in my section that used to yell out to them that they were all cockroaches for leaving early. most would just walk by...but occasionally some would respond to him with a not so christian tone.

I feel like we were all in the same section.  The guys behind me would yell out, "there's still a minute left, where ya going!"

We had a 3 hour drive and wouldn't leave early for fear of being pulled down by the shoulder from these guys.  

I noticed at the end of the North Carolina - Texas game that people were leaving early.  There were large swaths of empty seats with a minute left on the game clock and the outcome still in question.

It's something that is certainly not unique to us, and I think we sound like a bunch of terrible whiners harping on this.

Holy cow 9r we can't whine about the student section, people leaving early, Grant Gibbs. You are kind of making it tough on some us you know!;):)

It's a message board, you know. It opens exactly 1 hour prior to each game, is open for discussion about on-court, game related topics only, and closes abruptly 30 minutes following the final buzzer, just enough time to tie up any loose ends.

Holy cow 9r we can't whine about the student section, people leaving early, Grant Gibbs. You are kind of making it tough on some us you know!;):)

It's a message board, you know. It opens exactly 1 hour prior to each game, is open for discussion about on-court, game related topics only, and closes abruptly 30 minutes following the final buzzer, just enough time to tie up any loose ends.

So that's why people leave the games early. To get on the message boards. I thought it was to get the last pizza of the night at the Mushroom.:)

Holy cow 9r we can't whine about the student section, people leaving early, Grant Gibbs. You are kind of making it tough on some us you know! ;):)

lol...There aren't many issues with our team that aren't unique to us....well except for winning an NCAA Tournament game.  I guess we can't complain about any issue. ;)