What are our chances of making the NCAA Tournament?

PimpMario

I think we still have a shot but a lot of things have to fall in place first. The intergalactic visitors we have stored in Area 51 have to be so infuriated by our president's jocular reference to their top secret hideout last night that they enslave our entire nation before destroying Earth. To improve the country's morale, our basketball loving leader must decide to thaw both Walt Disney and Ted Williams' heads to coach Northwestern and Nebraska in the ultimate NCAA showdown so that the world will not end without one of the teams finally getting a victory. If we get Walt's head, I think that it is a winnable game for Nebraska showing that we really do deserve to be the true NU in the Big10. So it could happen.

This team has virtually no chance to make the tournament. I believe an NIT invitation is a realistic goal.

I still view this issue in terms of NU's positioning within the B1G. In order to make the tournament, Nebraska really has to finish as one of the top seven teams in the B1G, which likely means having a better conference record than Northwestern, Purdue and Penn State, and then also finishing ahead two of the teams in the group consisting of Illinois, Minnesota and Indiana. 

That's a tall order for an inexperienced, inconsistent team lacking in talented big men. My opinion is that an 8th-place B1G finish is the best-case scenario for this team. I'd be ecstatic with that result and a trip to the NIT. A 9th-place finish would still represent substantial progress. Anything worse than 10th place would be a huge disappointment, but it's possible that Penn State is a better team than the Huskers right now. According to KenPom they are, but we'll see how it plays out.

Totally agree. I believe we have NIT in our sights at this point, unless we come together and become consistent. However, I do also have optimism for the future of this team; the talent's there, we just need to get on the same page and get experience (which unfortunately comes slow, which is why next year is so bright).

I really think that if that happens quicker than usual (I have already seen some quick improvements, lots of good lessons for the young guys), we might make that goal of NIT. Realistically it'd take a lot of nice upsets to make up for that creighton loss (scumbags!) and make the NCAAs, which is quite elite, especially as of late. But like tim said, I dont like to always say "NEXT YEAR", we need to grab this season by the horns NOW, and work hard to improve. I like his positive outlook and I think he is the kind of motivator to get the most out his guys, which may mean some surprising leaps of improvement in the future. Can't get too demanding tho, like we are for football. Unacceptable.

What are our chances, based on our current record, schedule, and the way our team is playing that we will make the NCAA tournament?

And a better question, what do we have to do to make the NCAA tournament?

Does 8-4 in OOC and 8-10 in conference do it?

I am thinking it doesn't look very bright but I am admittedly not as up on RPI, selection process, etc. as others.

Not singling you out. If the team improves each game they will be in. If they continue to think "they" are above the program...maybe 14 wins. No more. They sure have more individual talent than last year but will "they" get it? tux

In your keep improving every week scenario does every other team stand still?

No question this team is more talented than last year but the schedule is a heckuvalot harder.

Well since you asked I will answer. Yes every team has the potential to improve as the year goes on. You would know that even the best teams have slumps and some don't recover. To be a lot more to the point, Miles knows how to make this happen. My point was you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I believe Miles is a good coach and will only be able to do with his team what they will allow. tux

Will we play the CBI if that is all we have? Hopefully NIT. The @Cincinnati game is huge.

Miles seems like that guy that would take any opportunity he has to play some games. If we get invited to the xyz tournament, he'd probably have the team play.

He didn't last year.

I believe Miles left it up to the players last year, and the players, as a group decided they were ready to move on from the season and decided against playing.

Will we play the CBI if that is all we have? Hopefully NIT. The @Cincinnati game is huge.

Miles seems like that guy that would take any opportunity he has to play some games. If we get invited to the xyz tournament, he'd probably have the team play.

He didn't last year.

I believe Miles left it up to the players last year, and the players, as a group decided they were ready to move on from the season and decided against playing.

I think he maybe implied that as cover.  I think the truth was he really wanted to hit the road recruiting.  And I don't blame him and it was probably the correct thing to do.

Will we play the CBI if that is all we have?  Hopefully NIT.  The @Cincinnati game is huge.

He didn't last year.

Last year, there was no precedent for a B1G team playing in the CBI.  Miles wasn't going to make Nebraska the first.  Now, there is precedence as Purdue played there.  If that's the best we get, I'm saying we take it.  Hopefully that's not the best we get.

"No precedent" is code for "The team is going to be completely different next year so playing in any tournament really doesn't gain anything and we'd be better off recruiting"

At the time, the discussion pretty much everywhere I saw was that, while we could go to the CBI, no B1G team ever had before and we certainly didn't want to be the first.  And that's pretty much what Miles said about it IIRC.

That is what they said and it was true at the time that no B1G team had accepted an invite to the CBI.  However, I tend to believe what Dimes said.  The majority of the team was on the way out so there wasn't a big gain in playing those games vs. being on the recruiting trail.  This year we return all but 1 player.  It makes sense with this team to get every game under their collective belts that they can to prepare for the 2014-15 season.  With a veteran team with everyone back, that's when we really should make some noise.  Everywhere else Miles has been, year 3 has been the big one.

He didn't last year.

I think he maybe implied that as cover.  I think the truth was he really wanted to hit the road recruiting.  And I don't blame him and it was probably the correct thing to do.

That's fair enough. And as we've seen this year, it seems have been the better option as well.