Best player you ever saw at the Devaney

Handy Johnson

I'm assuming you mean at the time they played here? I guess it would still be Durant for me, although by a narrower margin. Jamal Tinsley might be the second best I've seen... that guy was just unreal in college. No one has mentioned Paul Pierce. Piatkowski, Billups, Strickland, Reeves, James Harden, Griffin... The next tier would be the Venson Hamiltons, Raef LaFrentz,Tony Allen, Marcus Fizer, Drew Gooden, and Nick Collison's.

Who were some of the greatest players we've seen in non-conference? James Harden... OJ Mayo? Can't remember if I saw him here or there... I won't remember older non-con opponents.

Taking out the pro players in the NBA exhibitions - the two best coilege players that I saw play in person were Waymon Tisdale and Kevin Durant. Always said Tisdale was the top, until Durant came along and he was better - not necessarily during his one game at Devaney - but overall in college (FWIW I also saw Durant play live in Austin and at the Big 12 tourney). In my mind there is a pretty big gap after those two. If you count NCAA tournament games we were not involved in then Darrel Griffith at Louisville would probably the next one I would list.

I came away from that Texas game thinking Durant was maybe the best player I'd ever seen at Devaney. His shooting touch was remarkable. Not to mention his athleticism and ball-handling for a guy his size. Mitch Richmond was another one who I thought was frustratingly good. Good size, great strength, and you couldn't stop him, you could only hope to contain him. Blake Griffin I don't think had a great game when he was here but he was another fantastic player.

Pretty much the same answers as what everyone else had. We might not have had those guys but one thing that being a Husker hoops fan has given us over the years that our neighbors to the northeast wouldn't have shared is the quality of players we've been able to see coming into our arena.

Who's the best player ever to play at the Civic? Larry Bird? A great player, to be sure, but their list is a bit shorter than ours.

Joba Chamberlain is not important. He is 40 pounds over weight. Everyone will say he is a God because he plays for the Yankees. However, he is not as effective anymore because he is no longer able to use steroids. Yes, I said steroids. If anyone does not believe he was on something then you are completely out of your mind.

I am a Cubs fan (yes I know, I know) so I could give a rats a** about the Yankees. But I have known Joba since he was a wee kid playing select baseball here in Lincoln. I also enjoyed watching him as a ball boy for the Northeast Rockets during their State Basketball run. I have no clue whether or not Joba took 'roids. I do know one of his buddies took a lot of heat, yet was never found to have purjured himself while declaring his innocence surrounding PED accusations.

I also know the ultimate defense for libel is the truth. I would suggest that unless you have more evidence then mear speculation, I would leave this subject alone. If actual proof or perhaps just an accusation comes Joba's way, then perhaps, just perhaps you could once again resurrect this opinion... ;)

The pro exhibition games are long enough ago that I'm getting fuzzy on the details. I do remember being in the floor bleachers and seeing MJ, Magic and Worthy. I think when the Pistons played here one of the stars was out with injury ( Isiah or Rodman ?).

I'll throw out Byron Houston. Man that dude was a great college player.

I came away from that Texas game thinking Durant was maybe the best player I'd ever seen at Devaney. His shooting touch was remarkable. Not to mention his athleticism and ball-handling for a guy his size. Mitch Richmond was another one who I thought was frustratingly good. Good size, great strength, and you couldn't stop him, you could only hope to contain him. Blake Griffin I don't think had a great game when he was here but he was another fantastic player.

Pretty much the same answers as what everyone else had. We might not have had those guys but one thing that being a Husker hoops fan has given us over the years that our neighbors to the northeast wouldn't have shared is the quality of players we've been able to see coming into our arena.

Who's the best player ever to play at the Civic? Larry Bird? A great player, to be sure, but their list is a bit shorter than ours.

It's probably not as bad as you want to think, Norm. We probably need to include the years at the Civic. I actually prefer to see pretty good teams over superstar players. And, yes, you can be a great team and not necessarily go far in the tournament. I'm sure Kansas had way more superstars than Northern Iowa, but the better team won that day.

In regards to the sweater vests... if you guys would wear these, you wouldn't need a thread about a lack of Husker basketball gear being sold. You could just go to Pennys or Von Maur. ;)

Colorado's Jo Jo Hunter.

Here's an interesting read about him. Life can take some strange twists.....

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13085802

Jo Jo Hunter and Harold Miner had the best offensive games I saw in person in Devaney. Thanks for posting this, Cip; interesting article, although lacking in detail about Jo Jo's ultimate crimes. Tisdale and Griffen's talent and physical gifts just jumped off the page and were men vs. boys. Darnall Valentine hasn't been mentioned yet, but he had some great games in Devaney. As did Rolando Blackman.

2. Blake Griffin

Blake Griffin might be a pro player who excels at dunking but when you saw him at the Bob you saw a freshman player who was harassed the entire night and an Oklahoma team that was crushed by Nebraska 63-45. Aleks Maric almost had Griffin crying by the end of the game.

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 AM

snapback.pngNorm Peterson, on 02 November 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

It's probably not as bad as you want to think, Norm. We probably need to include the years at the Civic. I actually prefer to see pretty good teams over superstar players. And, yes, you can be a great team and not necessarily go far in the tournament. I'm sure Kansas had way more superstars than Northern Iowa, but the better team won that day.

In regards to the sweater vests... if you guys would wear these, you wouldn't need a thread about a lack of Husker basketball gear being sold. You could just go to Pennys or Von Maur. ;)

Please recall the Kings of Kansas City/Omaha fame played at the Civic...so NBA talent came in regularly (6 or so games a year for 4 to 6 years in the mid 70's...the Kings had Nate Archibald,...a great guard , who led the NBA in scoring and assists to become the only player to win the titles in both categories in the same season. They also brought in all their NBA opponents!

Discounting the pros there were good players at the Civic.From non league teams I recall a great game at the Civic involving Sam Lacey, who played for New Mexico State and later the Kings. The Valley players included a lineup I would love to have...Larry Bird, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel, Hershey Hawkins, Kyle Korver.

You will never confuse me for a Jay fan...but the truth is the Civic saw plenty of talent...and you need to give that it's due.