Learning mode

Huskerpapa

All I can say after reading that is that it's sure a good thing that the rule change happened that allowed Miles to work with the team over the summer. If they still don't have it down and they're now less than a week away from the first scrimmage, imagine where they would be if they hadn't had the summer to work on things.

Oh, one more thing I guess I can say is that having a couple of transfers sitting out as redshirts is probably also a good thing because they'll come in as more mature players with a year in the system already when our seniors depart. It's easier to bring freshmen into a system when you have experienced players already there running it. It's when no one has experience running the system that it's more of a challenge.

A "starting from scratch" mode is not easy. I have noticed in both sports and in business when one hits the reset button to implement a new system, the motivation is usually to get away from the bad habits that were previously developed and not always to replace the system itself. When the systems are similar, the people tend to take the same shortcuts and repeat the same mistakes. Getting people into the mindset of learning something new is key in a leadership change.

It is good to see the team is in a learning mode. The fact that they are seeing their own progress is good too. If they don't see their own growth, they may get frustrated and not buy in.

As much of a train wreck as this season will probably be record wise, I'm still looking forward to this season more so than I have any season in quite a while. I don't think we'll win very many games, but something tells me we're going in the right direction.

That's got to be tough on a guy like Ubel. He's been running essentially the same system for 3 years and now he's got something totally different. I think I read in a previous article that someone maybe a freshman asked Ubel what they were supposed to do during a certain drill and he said he wasn't sure he's still trying to figure it out. Hopefully they can figure parts of it out. Gonna be a long season but I'm still looking forward to it. I love basketball, it's my favorite sport. I can think of no other place I'd rather be than at the Bob on a cold winter day(until we open up the new arena)

All I can say after reading that is that it's sure a good thing that the rule change happened that allowed Miles to work with the team over the summer. If they still don't have it down and they're now less than a week away from the first scrimmage, imagine where they would be if they hadn't had the summer to work on things.

Good point, Norm.

Maybe that missed time in the summer is why Biggs is behind the freshman at PG too.

I really wish biggs would play this year. That would give NU at least a little bit of depth.

guards- parker, gallegos, biggs.

wings- talley, shavon, rivers

big men- Andre, ubel, vucetic

The team does not look that bad if you look at it that way.

I have been a big proponent of Biggs playing now. Talley, Almeda, and Ubel graduate in the spring. That is a huge loss leadership wise. If Biggs redshirts, there will be a leadership void amongst the upperclassmen leaving only Gallegos and Rivers neither of whom seem to be floor leaders (please correct me if I am wrong). While we do have talented transfers eligible next season, we still need experienced floor leaders.

It does seem Biggs has some leadership skills. A year of court time now gives us a floor general next season.

Moving on, that lineup does look bad when you consider that Almeda is coming off a knee injury which may limit his minutes. Vucetic has been described as needing additional strength and conditioning meaning he has limited minutes as well. That leaves Ubel largely playing out of position.

Also, remember that Parker and Shields are freshmen. It is my understanding that freshman guards, especially point guards, tend to wear down quickly due to playing without a full year of conditioning. If Parker and Shields are limited minutes wise, our bench suddenly becomes very shallow.

I have been a big proponent of Biggs playing now. Talley, Almeda, and Ubel graduate in the spring. That is a huge loss leadership wise. If Biggs redshirts, there will be a leadership void amongst the upperclassmen leaving only Gallegos and Rivers neither of whom seem to be floor leaders (please correct me if I am wrong). While we do have talented transfers eligible next season, we still need experienced floor leaders.

It does seem Biggs has some leadership skills. A year of court time now gives us a floor general next season.

Moving on, that lineup does look bad when you consider that Almeda is coming off a knee injury which may limit his minutes. Vucetic has been described as needing additional strength and conditioning meaning he has limited minutes as well. That leaves Ubel largely playing out of position.

Also, remember that Parker and Shields are freshmen. It is my understanding that freshman guards, especially point guards, tend to wear down quickly due to playing without a full year of conditioning. If Parker and Shields are limited minutes wise, our bench suddenly becomes very shallow.

...But remember, Gallegos redshirted last year and as a result, will be a fifth year senior next year. I have not attended practices this year, and I am unsure of his leadership skill set. I would suggest that we will find that out early this year. I am guessing that Ubel (4th year player) and Gallegos (also a 4th year player) will be the leaders of this team. Certainly our other two seniors may be in that role, yet, longevity in the program may be a major driving force in leadership

...But remember, Gallegos redshirted last year and as a result, will be a fifth year senior next year. I have not attended practices this year, and I am unsure of his leadership skill set. I would suggest that we will find that out early this year. I am guessing that Ubel (4th year player) and Gallegos (also a 4th year player) will be the leaders of this team. Certainly our other two seniors may be in that role, yet, longevity in the program may be a major driving force in leadership

Good point. Have you seen Gallegos assert himself in the past?

That's got to be tough on a guy like Ubel. He's been running essentially the same system for 3 years and now he's got something totally different. I think I read in a previous article that someone maybe a freshman asked Ubel what they were supposed to do during a certain drill and he said he wasn't sure he's still trying to figure it out. Hopefully they can figure parts of it out. Gonna be a long season but I'm still looking forward to it. I love basketball, it's my favorite sport. I can think of no other place I'd rather be than at the Bob on a cold winter day(until we open up the new arena)

He had an easy roll in the old offense. Watch the guards dribble across the top of the key for 30 seconds, go get rebound on long 3 at the shot clock buzzer! :ph34r:

Ray is not a vocal leader, he's a quiet kid and it's just part of his personality. His leadership will come more as a lead by example, work hard everyday leader.

I also suspect some of the lack of knowing the system is more of coaches speak, I bet the players grasp more of the offense than the article indicates.

From Ray's Huskers.com bio:

"Ray Gallegos (pronounced GUY-eh-goes) has put himself in position to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Huskers' new offensive system under Tim Miles this season.

"A two-year letterwinner who played in 25 games in 2010-12, Gallegos redshirted last season to work on his strength and to improve his offensive skills after averaging just 2.8 points per game on 32 percent shooting. The work seems to have paid dividends, as he is significantly stronger and has become a more consistent scoring threat during summer practices and in fall workouts. Gallegos possesses the athleticism to see time at either guard spot, and his continued improvement on the offensive end could put him in position to make significant contributions this year."

Good point, Norm.

Maybe that missed time in the summer is why Biggs is behind the freshman at PG too.

I'm not sure that Biggs is on the depth chart. Until we see an announcement stating that he's not redshirting and/or he suits up for a regular season game, we can assume he's not playing this year.

If anything changes his mind, it would probably be playing in the exhibition games. I still think Gallegos didn't redshirt two years ago like we thought he would because he beat up on some NAIA schools.

Ray is a kid who has ALWAYS had the ability to create his own shot. The problem he's had is that, after creating the shot, it only tends to go in about 1/3 of the time. If he has retooled his jumper to become more accurate, then this is a kid who could really take advantage of Miles' system and score us some points. He WILL be able to get that shot off, the mid-range pull-up jumper. If he's developed the touch to actually get it to go down, look out. Could be a completely different Ray Gallegos this year.

I really wish biggs would play this year. That would give NU at least a little bit of depth.

guards- parker, gallegos, biggs.

wings- talley, shavon, rivers

big men- Andre, ubel, vucetic

The team does not look that bad if you look at it that way.

It kind of still does.

Save Biggs. No need for him this year

I think many people believe that a less structured system would be easy for the players to pick up on but its really the opposite. Giving players freedom puts more pressure on them making the right decisions and playing to their strengths more.

Biggs is not behind Parker. Benny is going to play this year so Coach Miles is going to tell you where he's at. Right now, with Biggs not playing, Benny would have to be the guy.

Just to be clear, it's not totally unstructured on offense. There are still principles of movement and spacing and so forth. It's just a different approach. But I'll need someone like Dean Smith or basketballjones or someone more knowledgeable to explain what the differences are. But just so there's no misimpression, it's not going to look like we're playing a pickup game when we're on offense. At least is shouldn't.