Jess Shepard

Bugeaters1

This girl is frickin' amazing.  And I don't use those words lightly.  They showed some Jess highlights on the news the other night from when she broke her own record and I just sat there saying, "Wow."  I mean, I knew she was good.  But ohmygosh.  When a player you're already impressed by makes you go "wow," that's saying something.

Jess is an amazing player.  Her skill level would be upper D1 caliber if she was 5'10" and played guard.  But to apply those skills to a 6'3" post is other-worldly.  She already has the two highest scoring seasons EVER in girls' Class A and she still has another season of high school.  It's mind blowing how good she is.  She's ready for the college game right now. 

If Connie Yori had Jess Shepard on the team THIS year, right now, they'd be a top 10 team.  I'm not saying fast forward two years and grab a college-age Jess Shepard and stick her on this team.  I'm saying go over to Fremont High, grab that 6'3" 11th grader, put a Husker uni on her today, and they are a top ten team.  She is that good.

I have a fear Geno is going to convince her to switch to UConn.

i feel she has too much class to switch now and too much class,to go play for that ___________. you can fill in the blank.

I won't let my daughter play for Geno, even if it meant 4 titles. but that is just me.

that and I don't have any daughters nor would they probably be recuited by UCONN. But if I did...

There aren't enough superlatives to describe what that girl can do on a basketball court.  Watching those clips just blew me away.  Her agility at 6'3" is astounding.  She drove on a guard, did a reverse spin dribble for a layup, showing excellent quicks in the process.  Very next thing, she's knocking down a 3 with near perfect shooting form.  Then she's posting someone up and scoring.  If her teammates can get her the ball, she's darn near unstoppable in the low blocks.  I am so impressed with her.  So impressed.  I have not been this blown away by a girl's hoops recruit ever.  Not even Katie Robinette had me this excited for the future of Husker women's basketball.

The good news is that she will be surrounded by good players coming in with next years class of recruits.  Getting the other Page sister from Wamego, KS would be a real topper for the Lady Huskers.  

And with a coach who can just flat out coach Damn the Huskers look like the team to beat on paper any ways.

Norm, your enthusiasm is infectious, at least for me anyway. I couldn't agree more on Jessica. I've been watching Prospect Nation and their early rankings for the 2015 recruiting class are starting to get assembled and they have Jess as the only 2015 Husker recruit but rank our recruiting class as 2nd best in the nation to Texas which have 4 already. Like cazzie says above if we could only get Lanie Page to follow her sister up here to PBA the future would be mind boggeling. 

Imagine if you would in 2 years when Jess shows up and maybe Lanie Page, our starting 5 might look something like this:

G - Rachel Theriot 6' - Sr.

PG - Natalie Romeo 5'8 - So

Wing - Lanie Page 6'3 - Fr

F - Kaylee Page - 6'2 - So

F - Jessica Shepard 6'3 - Fr

With Chandler Smith, Darrien Washington and Allie Havers coming in off the bench and hopefully Kianna Ibis too.

That starting line-up alone has me salivating from the mouth.

I think Simon is more of a shooting guard type player, although she is perfectly capable of bringing the ball up the court.  Not sure if she will be a starter her freshman year, but should definitely get a lot of minutes off the bench.  It will be so refreshing to have a deep bench in a few years, all quality players.  Might even be a little crazy and switch up the starters depending on how we match up with our opponent.  When was the last time we were able to do that comfortably?

• 4 weeks later...

After watching UConn play over the weekend and last night, I was wondering how Miss Jess would stack up to the UConn players. I heard from one person that they didn't want Auriemma ant where nears Lincoln or Jess In that Auriemma might try and steal her away from the Huskers. What are the thoughts of everyone else.

The way Connie likes to play, there will be plenty of minutes available for people if they play and practice hard and smart.

I agree 100%. Depth was an issue this year, although we got great minutes and contribution from our top 7 players. After watching Texas A&M v Uconn I can tell you that we need to get deeper and stronger inside (BYU game comes to mind) to get to the next level.

How would we have matched up with UConn?

No, I'm asking if Shepard could be in the 7 player rotation

on UConn's team.

Jess is good but I think we need to realize that Uconn probably has redshirts and bench players who could have played 20+ min per game for NU this year. Do we actually know if UConn or Geno has ever reached out to her?