Jess Shepard

Bugeaters1

By the way Natalie Romeo the heir apparent to be our point guard next year is averaging 21.7 points, 10.3 assists, 6.3 boards and 5 steals after 3 games and Kaylee Page poured in 28 Friday night against Holton KS.

Glad the cavalry is on the way. Lots of playing time will be available for the freshmen next year.

Not quite what I would have expected from an upper-level D1 recruit who's already a junior.  Pius got blown out.

Me neither. Although she did score 14 of Pius' 26 points.

Also, I should have mentioned in Natalie Romeo's first 3 games she recorded 2 triple doubles.

Wow.  Impact player.

Not quite what I would have expected from an upper-level D1 recruit who's already a junior.  Pius got blown out.

Me neither. Although she did score 14 of Pius' 26 points.

Also, I should have mentioned in Natalie Romeo's first 3 games she recorded 2 triple doubles.

Wow.  Impact player.

a few thoughts. 

i remeber scotus sweeping hooper twice in volleyball and it wasn't even close.  Jordan Larson is still reguarded as one of the best in the world.  please cut Miss Simon a break, she's a heck of an athlete.

about Miss Romeo.  WOW!

Natalie was one of 4 players named "players of the week" today in the San Jose Mercury News. The following is the quote they used when describing her extraordinary week.

Romeo, who has signed with Nebraska, was the MVP of the Dorothy Speck Tournament in Davis, notching two triple-doubles and leading the Cougars to the championship. She had 23 points, 12 rebounds and 16 assists in a semifinal win over Brookside Christian and 19 points, 10 steals and 10 assists over Davis in the championship.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24706281/east-bay-high-school-athletes-week

That same article mentions the other Nebraska recruit  Darrien Washington as honorable mention player of the week.

DARRIEN WASHINGTON, Skyline, basketball, Sr. -- The Nebraska-bound Washington had a combined 56 points, 27 rebounds and 13 blocks in three nonleague games, including a 24-point, 10-rebound, five-block performance in a 55-31 win over Analy.

The other thing with Simon is that she didn't start focusing on basketball until fairly recently.  She is also an excellent soccer player and could have gone that route, too.  And she is a very good track and field athlete - I'm sure she could receive scholarship offers (and probably has) in that sport as well.  She is still developing as a basketball player, and her overall athleticism will help that.

Sabrina Ionescu (2016) from Miramonte High School in Orinda CA is a player we should keep an eye out for as it's early in her recruitment. Credit Coach Smallwood for getting in on her early, as the way it sounds by the time it comes to making a decisison as to where she will play her list will be really long to choose from.

Sabrina Ionescu was the MVP of the Big House Invitational in Casa Grande, as the Matadors captured the tournament title. Ionescu scored 28 points in the Matadors' 83-50 first-round win over Redwood.

Was anyone up in Fremont to see Jess play tonight ?

I saw her play.  She's a complete player.  I was really impressed.  Can dribble up and down the court and for all her points she had to have quite a few assists as well.  She's been out sick the last 2 days so I'm not sure of her status for tonights game against NorthStar.

They probably won't need her for the game against North Star as that team is really young.  However, the new North Star coach is Maddie Simon's club coach, so give them a few years and they will be fine.  I have a feeling if Jess could find a way to graduate a year and a half early, she could play a lot for the Huskers this January!  Wouldn't that be nice?

Since we've been talking recruits I googled Chandler Smith and this article, in a local newspaper came up. Posted yesterday, it talks about her life on the ranch in Washington and now going to Nebraska for the next four years.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2013/dec/12/country/#.UqsGj-NNsJU.facebook

As a 6-foot-point guard, she’s racked up a slew of individual awards, won a state championship and signed on to play for Nebraska next year.

She’s the type of player that can single-handedly take over a game at any point,” said Chelan coach Frank Phelps, whose team handed the Bears their only loss last season. “You really just have to try to contain her more than anything. She does it all. She’s a complete player, and on top of that she’s a tremendous person, has a great attitude and is a great leader. She’s one of those once-in-a-lifetime kids that comes along for a coach. She’s certainly the complete package.”

With her length, ball-handling ability and (talent) for seeing the floor well, I think she’ll be able to step right in at Nebraska and be able to play,” Brewster coach Roger Boesel added.

• 2 weeks later...

What are these numbers you ask?

52b24f79b0563.preview-620.jpg

They're Jessica's points she's scored in each game Fremont has played this year. That puts her at an average of 34 points per game. Fremont is 6-1 going into the Christmas break losing only to Kansas City Bishop Miege 54-53. The Tigers play in the Heartland Athletic Conference tournament running from Dec. 28 - 31st this week in Lincoln. 

I went to that game. It was much closer than I expected, especially considering LSE lost to lowly Lincoln East the week before Christmas. Riley Cascio Jensen had her shooting hand bandaged up so she wasn't as much of a scoring threat as she has been in the past. Without Shepard, Fremont would still be a cellar dweller, but Jess is just so dominant she can single-handedly take over when needed, and she always looks like she is thoroughly enjoying herself.

I went too I thought the Southeast coach out coached the Fremont coach big time. SE double and even triple teamed Jess at times daring the other Fremont players to shoot. They took the bait and shot that 16-20 foot shot never once putting the ball on the ground and driving the lane for a closer shot. Fremont plays tomorrow for the HAC championship against Northeast. 

I found it interesting listening to Southeast fans saying how bad Fremont is as team and without Jess they'd be lucky to score 20 pts a game.

Huskerchode did you hear what happened to the girl from Southeast they helped off the court. It was either her ankle or knee but she seemed to be in a lot of pain.

I noticed Riley removed the hand wrap late in the game. The freshman point guard for LSE, Karsin Underwood, was having a good game for them. Riley is a very good player so I'm wondering what the hand issue is that is slowing her down.

I would say without Jess they are in the bottom half of the HAC, above only Lincoln High and North Star.

I'm not even sure who was injured for LSE because it happened while I was in the hallway.

I would expect LNE to give Fremont a good game and beat them tomorrow. LNE has a good team but seem to get sloppy once they are up by 10 points. They should have beaten LSW by at least 20 but they made some really dumb turnovers in the second half.

It will be interesting to see the class A state tourney this year. Out of the HAC I would think LNE and Fremont should be there. MW and O Benson and ONW, possibly both Bellevue teams. And SSC.