Charleston Classic: Success or Failure?

icedragon101

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now.  I have some questions about  the Charleston Classic....

1.  Was the Charleston Classic a success or failure? 
2.  Was it to much too soon or just what NU needed?   
3.  Is Miles making good decisions with scheduling or is he pushing to quickly?

I think the Charleston Classic was a failure 2-1 would have been a success, but 1-2 not a good showing.  I think Miles made a mistake in entering this tournament.  It was a year to early. I knew when he put it on the schedule.  He should have stayed with the Sun bowl classic.  Where we stood a chance of winning the whole thing.  We need success to build on.  I guess I am of the thinking that you don't move up to play tougher competition UNTIL you can beat the guys your are already playing. The CC was an up grade in talent and we were not ready for it and our record showed.  If we come in next year to the CC, with a seasoned team,  we could win the whole thing.  We should have played somewhere else.  I think this is the second mistake he has made with the schedule.  I thought he should have entered the post season tournament we were offered.  I think his ego or his enthusiasm is getting the better of him. He is not make decisions that are in the best interest of the program.

Right, Ice Dragon.  He has built programs from nothing in 4 colleges/universities prior to coming here.  Yep, he just doesn't understand scheduling and makes decisions that aren't in the best interest of the program.  I guess I'll go with the guy who has an 18 year track record in building programs over the second guessers on here.  I'm sure there will be big fallout in a few years over going 1-2 in some tournament early into the second year. No doubt we'll be lamenting that fateful decision for years. 

To give you a more serious answer.  

• Was it a failure to only get one win?  Yes.  I think it may be.  We really should have gotten out of there 2-1.
  • Was it a disappointment, or was it something to have been avoided?  No.  It was a valuable experience for the team.

However, the part about second-guessing Miles' scheduling philosophy?  Yeah...man, that's just wrong.  If you want to watch a team rack up 30 point wins against horrible competition, may I suggest you start following the Iowa basketball team?

it was neither a success or failure.

We shouldn't have lost to UAB, but we did beat an SEC team and found out a lot about our team.

UMASS is a legit top 25 team

And to that UMASS team, it was a one possession game in the last minute, and we missed a layup with 23 seconds left which would have cut it to one.   All with a very inexperienced and undersized team, with it's lone senior out most of the second half with an injury. So many throw out words like failure, based solely on result, rather than process. 

Assuming the team has learned something from this experience, then I would say it was a success.  I believe this experience will help us grow and play better as a team.  Coach Miles asked the question at the Omaha luncheon today if his team learned more playing in that tournament, or would have learned more playing against three random teams at the PBA.  He believed his team learned more from this tournament...and I have to agree with him.

Also, he talked some about what was reported in the paper about the team meeting after the UAB game.  It definitely sounds like Leslee Smith will be one of our team leaders.  He mentioned that Smith called some players out by name, which shocked Miles (Miles also pointed out that Smith talked about mistakes he made himself).  I got the feeling Miles was very happy with what went down amongst the team after that UAB game.

I was disappointed with the two losses, but I was more disappointed with how we lost our direction and then the games. 

I am not dillusional though.  This is a roller-coaster ride year.  We will learn some lessons as we are still progressing on the foundation of the program.  But losing is always disappointing.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now.  I have some questions about  the Charleston Classic....

I think the Charleston Classic was a failure 2-1 would have been a success, but 1-2 not a good showing.  I think Miles made a mistake in entering this tournament.  It was a year to early. I knew when he put it on the schedule.  He should have stayed with the Sun bowl classic.  Where we stood a chance of winning the whole thing.  We need success to build on.  I guess I am of the thinking that you don't move up to play tougher competition UNTIL you can beat the guys your are already playing. The CC was an up grade in talent and we were not ready for it and our record showed.  If we come in next year to the CC, with a seasoned team,  we could win the whole thing.  We should have played somewhere else.  I think this is the second mistake he has made with the schedule.  I thought he should have entered the post season tournament we were offered.  I think his ego or his enthusiasm is getting the better of him. He is not make decisions that are in the best interest of the program.

I see a slight improvement in your spelling and grammar over previous posts.  Not really a success, but not a failure either.  ;)

We won't know for awhile and we might not know for sure until the season is over. When players start to point fingers or pull apart it needs to be addressed immediately or the season can be lost (meaning the team falls way short of its potential). It kinda sounds like Smith may be the one that pulls the team together or at least won't stand for certain players to take actions that that work against team cohesiveness without being called out. Once everyone has acknowledged the elephant in the room, steps can be taking to fix the problem. So we need to see how this all plays out to see if the tournament was a success or not.

It was a failure from a wins and losses side. I think it is good though tht we got a win an Tim can get into practice this week and show the guys. Look when you play D and you are screwed by the refs you can play with anyone. UMASS will make a run in march and we were right there with them. Can we correct the mistakes? Time will tell but we are better prepared for the next 3 games and conference from this tourney.

Failure in terms of our chances of dancing at the end of the year.  Although there are some positives in terms of seeing our talent match up with team like UMASS.  We did not appear to be outmanned by a pretty athletic, decently coached, experienced club.  We didn't catch a break with the officiating down the stretch, had arguably our 3 best players miss much of the contest in foul trouble and still had a shot to win.  You never know.  If we somehow got that one, we could have won the whole damn thing.  Fine line.  Very evenly matched tourney field.  But we didn't get it done.  We didn't learn how to win yet.  It is not easy thing to do.  Hopefully the experience will help us learn how to do so. 

Ultimately, Tim Miles will have his contract renewed based on the number of NCAA tournament games he wins (or is perceived to be close to winning)....his winning percentage is just a means to that end.

Scheduling a tournament against lower competition is a way to rack up wins, not a way to get to the NCAA tournament.  Ask Iowa about that.

He is not make decisions that are in the best interest of the program.

In terms of scheduling?  You're completely wrong.  It's one of his strong points.

I'd rather play and possibly lose to top 64 schools than the bottom 50 schools any day. I recall we used to complain about the weak directional schools schedule we used to have that drew very little interest. Now we are complaining because we are playing the quality teams that we wanted to play for years. The teams that mean something for post season play. Just cannot win with someone people.

Icedragon: I like the short sentences. They are to the point. Hemingway would be proud.

Faulkner, on the other hand, would have seen the prose of Icedragon and rent his clothes at the thought of so many words wasted through want of use, as though they might atrophy while waiting in the dictionary of the mind, waiting unsummoned, in a purgatory of endless verbiage, forgotten and neglected while brevity doffs his victor's cap and scans the field of battle for the scattered remnants of verbosity, which have taken their leave to nurse their wounds and live to fight another day.

Icedragon, I see where you're coming from but I'm not worried about it.  It's a long season.  We'll learn more from this tourney than we would have by playing a bunch of cupcakes.  And I'm OK with 1-2.  Would have been thrilled with 3-0, very disappointed with 0-3, but 1-2 or 2-1 won't make a lot of difference at the end of the year.  The question is what's going to prepare us for the conference season and I think this kind of tournament will ready us more than playing lesser foes.