Essentials: Game #5 vs UAB

hhcmatt

Charleston Classic Tournament Game 2

Nebraska Cornhuskers (3-1) vs Alabama-Birmingham Blazers (3-0)

Date: Friday November 21, 2013

Time: 11:30 p.m CT

Internet: ESPN3

TV: ESPNU

Internet: ESPN3

HHC Game Thread

Posted Image

Radio: Across the state on the IMG Husker Sports Radio Network, including KLIN (1400 AM/94.5 FM) in Lincoln, KFAB (1110 AM) in Omaha and KRVN (880 AM) in Lexington.

Play-by-play: Kent Pavelka; Color: Matt Davison

Charleston Classic Tournament Game 3

Huskers will face either Georgia, or Temple on Sunday.UAB Info

Posted Image

Head Coach: Jerod Haase

Conference: Conference USA

Roster | Schedule

Nickname: Blazers

Mascot: Blaze the Dragon

Last time out: Lost to New Mexico (2OT)

Typical Rotation Depth: 6-7 deep

Probable Starters

Nebraska

5 Terran Petteway 6-6 209 Jr

31 Shavon Shields 6-7 219 So

0 Tai Webster 6-4 194 Fr

2 David Rivers 6-7 198 Jr

35 Walter Pitchford 6-10 234 So

UAB

5 Robert Williams 6-4 210 Sr

13 Chad Frazier 6-4 190 Jr

42 Rod Rucker 6-5 220 Sr

25 C.J. Washington 6-8 219 Jr

15 Fahro Alihodzic 6-10 240 Sr

Player to watch: Fahro Alihodzic

There are other UAB players to watch but Fahro is unique because he could be a Husker today and it wouldn't have cost us any current players. You can't really blame Miles for wanting to land a 4 year player back in 2012 but our lack interior depth makes you take a hard look in the rear view mirror.

The Skinny

This isn't a deep UAB team but it's an experienced group and unlike in 2013, they appear to be playing some defense. Much like UMass, the Blazers operate inside the 3 pt line and their overall size gives them a huge rebounding edge over the Huskers. Expect Miles to start Rivers or even Smith in lieu of a banged up Gallegos. The Huskers will turn UAB over and need to capitalize on the break when they do. UAB isn't as athletic as UMass so Deverell Biggs could really do some damage attacking the hoop today off the bench.

Expect another close one today.

Prediction: Nebraska 82 - UAB 77

Click here to view the article

I am trying really hard to overlook the fact that Fahro had actually signed his LOI to play for NU and Miles cut him.  Man, major blunder by Miles.  As Norm said, "Just one big man away."

I will eventually let bygones be bygones after today, but for today it is difficult. 

I thought I remember reading that Miles had tried to get in touch with Fahro several times but communication was silent on Fahro's end.  At that point, Miles released him.  Not sure if true but I swear I read this somewhere after Miles got hired.

I am trying really hard to overlook the fact that Fahro had actually signed his LOI to play for NU and Miles cut him.  Man, major blunder by Miles.  As Norm said, "Just one big man away."

I will eventually let bygones be bygones after today, but for today it is difficult. 

I thought I remember reading that Miles had tried to get in touch with Fahro several times but communication was silent on Fahro's end.  At that point, Miles released him.  Not sure if true but I swear I read this somewhere after Miles got hired.

Wasn't he also involved in that little bookstore "issue" at his old school? That may have had something to do with it too.

Considering how much effort the staff has to put into getting just one big man recruit to visit or sign, no effort should have been spared to find Fahro and talk to him face to face.  When Doc was hired, he flew all the way to Australia to meet with Maric and talk to him face to face.  I am NOT saying that Fahro is of Maric quality, but I am saying that Miles still should have done whatever was necessary to meet with Fahro, talk to him face to face, and give him every opportunity to be on the team.  NU has had an open scholarship for both this year and last year.  What a waste.  Fahro had already signed his LOI.  No reason to cut him at that point.

Wasn't he also involved in that little bookstore "issue" at his old school? That may have had something to do with it too.

All of this stuff might have been blocking factors but if Miles had wanted him here, he would have been here.

And Biggs had a DUI, yet he is still on the team.  No doubt in my mind which is the greater offense.

Gallegos has acted the complete fool this year, and he is still on the team.  Things happen.  He obviously is working out at UAB, so he can't be a complete delinquent.