Ted Valentine Officiated a Game on Tuesday (19 total fouls called)

Shuttlesworth

Ideally, they should have offset the handcheck emphasis by making it easier--not harder--to draw charges out in the open floor. That's the way to reward positioning. By clamping down on *both*, the path is open for two hour lay up drill with fast, skilled teams.

Even when we got into position yesterday, we still mostly wound up with blocking fouls. It was a no win situation for a smaller team.

It's definitely possible. The only thing I can't figure out is that the final score of that game was 62-47. This leads me to speculate that defense was allowed. Just thought it was interesting.

Actually, I'd guess it was not defense just a bunch of missed 14 footers and 3-point shots. Nobody can shoot anymore anyway. If I were coaching college ball now (or any level for that matter), I'd soft press (a 2-2-1) into a match up and just make dude cast away 15-20 footers all day. You beat me, you beat me. 

Once you call something one time, you have to call it the rest of the time to be consistent. It was like a comedy of whistles yesterday. They called tiny stuff in the opening minutes, so you know both coaches were working the officials all game to call stuff all game on both ends.

That's not they way it ever worked when I coached. Just like the same good shot in the first 4 minutes becomes a bad shot in a close game in the last 4 minutes - officials' calls also do change to fit the time & situation. You coach your players to expect that.

I've held off on commenting on the new foul rules but at this point I'm fed up. I've talked to both a college & high school coach yesterday and they had the same take on it I do. They are just bad for the game and encourage and reward bad play. The college coach said they have been forced to stop teaching taking a charge all together because no matter what a college ref shared with him that they have been told to call the block 98% of the time. He says it pains them but they now tell their players to just try to block shots. "I never thought I'd be teaching bad defense."

And offensively the new rules encourage and reward out of control players . And that positive stimulus to bad behavior just encourages more bad behavior in the way of selfish play. Even when whistles aren't stopping play this rewarded one on five behavior kills the flow of offense. It all just turns to create bad basketball on both ends of the floor.

I don't care how many points are scored it all leads to aestheticly unpleasing basketball.

Once you call something one time, you have to call it the rest of the time to be consistent. It was like a comedy of whistles yesterday. They called tiny stuff in the opening minutes, so you know both coaches were working the officials all game to call stuff all game on both ends.

That's not they way it ever worked when I coached. Just like the same good shot in the first 4 minutes becomes a bad shot in a close game in the last 4 minutes - officials' calls also do change to fit the time & situation. You coach your players to expect that.

I've held off on commenting on the new foul rules but at this point I'n fed up. I've talked to both a college & high school coach yesterday and they had the same take on it I do. They are just bad for the game and encourage and reward bad play. The college coach said they have been forced to stop teaching taking a charge all together because no matter what a college ref said they have been told to call the block 98% of the time. He says it pains them but they now tell their players to just try to block shots. "I never thought I'd be teaching bad defense."

And offensively the new rules encourage and reward out of control players . And that positive stimulus to bad behavior just encourages more bad behavior in the way of selfish play. Even when whistles aren't stopping play this rewarded one on five behavior kills the flow of offense. It all just turns to create bad basketball on both ends of the floor.

I don't care how many points are scored it all leads to aestheticly unpleasing basketball.

this ties in to the griping about petteway. we're seeing a ton of comments about "selfishness" and forgeting that the calling emphasis is forcing teams into telling their slashers and drivers to do that at every opportunity in order to get to the line for freebies. With all the -and ones, would you tell your team to pass the ball just to prove you can or would you tell them to just get it to the guy(s) that can drive and draw fouls. It's Iverson ball at its purest. And it's the officiating driving it. Edit: let me put this another way. It's almost as if you don't want open shots, because the risk of missing is higher than the risk of getting into a crowd and drawing a foul.

I get that stopping the hand mugging was necessary--basketball had become too physical--but there surely had to be a better solution than this.