Will Biggs Redshirt?

Handy Johnson

I know somebody that was at the practice this past weekend that said Biggs would be the best PG we have right now. He said our new walk on may be in the top rotation as well (that is how thin we are). I believe the coaches want him to play, but its up to Biggs from what I understand.

I have speculated that Biggs will hold out to see if his buddy, Akoy, changes his mind to go to NU.

Early signing period is 11/14 to the 21st.

Biggs could play in the exhibition on 11/7; miss the Southern game and be ready to play 11/15 if Akoy submits the expected LOI to Louisville.

My guess is...If Akoy signs with Slick Rick, the chances of Biggs playing this year increase substantially....no inside info used here, just using my old guy logic.

I hope he gets to redshirt!

Entirely up to Biggs. Coach Miles wants him to play. Wouldn't you want your best PG on the floor? There is a great deal of communication going on during practice between Coach Miles and Biggs...and its all good. There is a trust there and I think they are on the same page as to what they are trying to get accomplished. But....why would Biggs really want to play this year when he can see what Pitchford and Petteway can add to the mix for the next two years? Can't blame the kid on his part. Can't blame Coach Miles for wanting him to play either. Biggs just seems to have the "it" factor at that position...gets into the lane and can get their motion offense started with penetration. They are trying to attack the lane and they really need a PG that can consistently pressure the defense into having to slide somebody in to help, which leads to open players on the perimeter. With him they at least have one guy who can consistently do that. Without him.....its just not the same.

My guess....we don't see Biggs this year. Or maybe we do....who knows!

dimes, check out www.huskerboard.com - they're using the same message board software (as far as I can tell) and it seems to work pretty well there.

From what I can tell, there is a bit of a contrast between the posts and the area around them (also a little better separation between posts). The post count level is in a smaller font and the banner where the username goes is is same color as the post itself.

As long as we're on the topic of the new board, no matter the computer or browser I use, when I hit huskerhoopscentral.com, it tells me page is unavailable. It's been that way for the last couple weeks. I have to go to a cached page to log on.

You can't get rid of me that easily..... :)

Back to topic--I don't really care if Biggs redshirts or not. I'm just glad he's a Husker.

As long as we're on the topic of the new board, no matter the computer or browser I use, when I hit huskerhoopscentral.com, it tells me page is unavailable. It's been that way for the last couple weeks. I have to go to a cached page to log on.

You can't get rid of me that easily..... :)

Oof...thanks for the heads up

dimes, check out www.huskerboard.com - they're using the same message board software (as far as I can tell) and it seems to work pretty well there.

From what I can tell, there is a bit of a contrast between the posts and the area around them (also a little better separation between posts). The post count level is in a smaller font and the banner where the username goes is is same color as the post itself.

Having the bar the same color! Brilliant!

I guess I am somewhat confused as to why Biggs would still want to redshirt. This may be a short list of reasons:

1) Akoy may still be coming

2) He doesn't like the looks of this team, and wants to be a larger part of the future

3) He feels he has holes in his game that needs to be refined prior to playing Big Ten basketball

4) He has other issues that has higher priorities at this moment (school, family, girlfriends, etc)

This is actually a rather unique situation. Most coaches all but beg kids to redshirt nowadays, only to have the kids refuse because they want to play right away. Here it looks like Miles is all but begging Biggs not to redshirt.

They're not usually begging JUCO transfers to redshirt. They usually want those kids on the floor ASAP.

They're not usually begging JUCO transfers to redshirt. They usually want those kids on the floor ASAP.

Agreed. My comment was on redshirting in general. Usually, the only reason a team brings in a JUCO is to fill an immediate hole. Doc's actions notwithstanding, JUCOs aren't usually redshirted except in the case of injury. If they aren't good enough to play from day one, most schools don't even bring them in.

I'd prefer to see him play myself. Partly because I think it gives us a better chance to be competitive this season than otherwise. Partly because I think it pushes the other guards to work harder for playing time and it gives Parker a little less of a load to labor under this season.

Based upon the recent LJS article, Benny currently is the choice to start at PG and Gallegos is first up at the '2'. So If Biggs is not redshirting, that tells me he is (at best) a sixth man right now. I am guessing that unless something unexpected happens, Mr. Biggs will be a redshirt this year.

And oh...just for Normy...24.gif

Based on limited exposure, Biggs is one of the top 3 players on the team. Can produce some offense, at least against other Husker players. Petteway is a stud and Talley looks good as well. Reyes looks pretty good but he has always looked good in practice. Needs to show it in a game. Pritchford is very athletic but needs to bulk up. Sergey is tall and just needs muscle mass and experience. I haven't seen Shields yet.