Q&A: Jacob Hammond

hhcmatt

Posted Image

We caught up with 2014 Husker big man Jacob Hammond who is preparing for his senior year of basketball in his hometown of Comanche, Oklahoma.Q: Which schools were recruiting you the hardest and ultimately what was/were those thing(s) that led you to chose Nebraska.

A: Texas Tech, TCU, Texas A&M, Kansas State, Wichita State, St. Louis, Oklahoma.

The ultimate reasons I choose Nebraska were the connections and support that I felt with the coaches there. Also the opportunity to help build a program and do something there that has never been done, wins games in the tourney.

Q: Is there anyone you model your game after?

A: I would have to say Blake Griffin and Kevin Love.

Q: Have you felt that High School or AAU basketball has improved your basketball skills more?

A: Yes, AAU. With AAU you get the chance to play the best players in the country and improve your game. It is a good measuring stick to see where you are at.

Q: What's part of his game would he consider your bread and butter and what part do you think you need to improve on the most.

A: I would say that my bread and butter is my touch around the basket and being able to run the court as a big. I need to improve on my ball handling and my basketball I.Q.

Q: Sunrise Christian in Kansas is known as a national basketball powerhouse. How was your experience there your junior year?

A:It made me realize how hard I have to really work and there were some really great players from all over the world. I really enjoyed my experience there.

Q: Which coach was your main contact for recruiting?

A: Craig Smith

Q: What did you know about Nebraska and/or Nebraska basketball before they started recruiting you?

A: To tell you the truth, I did not know much about there basketball program. I knew they were a football powerhouse. My family and I did our research and realized that the basketball program was definitely on the upswing and with a coach like Miles and the opportunity to play in the Big 10, it was a perfect fit.

Q: Do you have access to the BTN to watch all the games this year?

A: Yes, as soon as I realized I was going to Nebraska , we got BTN.

Q: When do you plan to arrive on campus?

A: The first day that I am allowed to go.

Click here to view the article

• 2 weeks later...

Jake, I'd recommend you not pull a Fahro and just be above it.  "OU is a great place and they have a good thing going there with Coach Kruger.  I wish them the best.  But, for me personally, I feel I'd be a better fit at Nebraska and I'm looking forward to continuing my basketball career there."

You don't need to explain yourself or justify.  That's only going to cause bad feelings.  Just leave it alone.

Norm: He didn't call OU fans haters at least. Nevertheless I'm sure the boos would rain down in Norman if we still played OU (see Gessell, Mike). I do agree that social media fights never leave anyone looking good. Just check out one of our fair city's councilmen in the LJS this morning for proof of that statement.

Norm: He didn't call OU fans haters at least. Nevertheless I'm sure the boos would rain down in Norman if we still played OU (see Gessell, Mike). I do agree that social media fights never leave anyone looking good. Just check out one of our fair city's councilmen in the LJS this morning for proof of that statement.

Gessell played it right, IMO.  Nebraska's a great place.  Love their coach, whoever he is.  I just felt like Iowa was the place for me.  How can anyone argue with that?  No one feels put down or insulted.  I still get a kick out of the fact that Tye Goode passed up an opportunity to wear 3 National Championship rings and instead went from Lincoln Southeast to Notre Dame.  And he explained his decision by bashing the hometown Huskers.  "Yeah, I went to their practice and it looked like they were just going through the motions."  Tye, you didn't need to say that.  But you've given me two decades worth of Schadenfreud by doing so.  So there is that.

Gessell played it right, IMO.  Nebraska's a great place.  Love their coach, whoever he is.  I just felt like Iowa was the place for me.  How can anyone argue with that?  No one feels put down or insulted.  I still get a kick out of the fact that Tye Goode passed up an opportunity to wear 3 National Championship rings and instead went from Lincoln Southeast to Notre Dame.  And he explained his decision by bashing the hometown Huskers.  "Yeah, I went to their practice and it looked like they were just going through the motions."  Tye, you didn't need to say that.  But you've given me two decades worth of Schadenfreud by doing so.  So there is that.

I always got the impression that Nebraska didn't recruit Goode all that hard.  I heard we got in on him very late and didn't put forth much effort.

It's been some time ago, but that's how I always remember it.