WBB: Game #4 vs Arkansas/Pine Bluff

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (3-0) vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-3)

Thursday, Nov. 21, 7 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Tickets: Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED
Promotions: '80s Night / Greek Night

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network  (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)
KBBK-FM 107.3 Lincoln; KFFF-FM 93.3 Omaha: KCOW-AM 1400 Alliance; KBRB-AM 1400 Ainsworth; KWBE-AM 1430, Beatrice; KHAS-AM 1230 Hastings; KRGI-AM 1430, Grand Island; KNEB-FM 94.1, Scottsbluff:

Free Live Audio: Huskers.com
Premium Video: BTN.com All-Access

URXUDXHIPWVHSHO.20131108204846.JPG

Huskers Open Four-Game Home Stand with Lady Lions

The Nebraska women’s basketball team returns home after a successful weekend road trip to take on Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Thursday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Tip-off between the Huskers (3-0) and the Lady Lions (1-3) is set for 7 p.m.

Nebraska notched a big road win at Utah, 75-69. Rachel Theriot erupted for career highs of 28 points and seven assists while playing the full 40 minutes in the win. Jordan Hooper added her second double-double of the year with 13 points and 12 rebounds, Emily Cady contributed 13 points and nine boards.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff will be facing its fourth major conference foe in a row. The SWAC member has suffered consecutive losses at Marquette, Iowa and Xavier before heading to Lincoln. Road games will be the norm for UAPB until February, as the Lady Lions won’t play their third home game of the year until Jan. 18, when they face Nebraska’s next opponent, Southern.

Coach Nate Kilbert is still searching for a starting five in the early season. Cassidy Wright is the only Lady Lion to start all four games. Wright is UAPB’s top returning scorer from last season, she leads UAPB with 8.0 points per game

UAPB has been a bit overmatched in its last three games, but is managing 44.5 points per game on the season. The Lady Lions have been outscored by an average of 26.2 points per game and outrebounded by 15.7 boards per contest. They also carry a minus-6.0 team turnover margin.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - Jr. - F - 5.0 ppg
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - Jr. - F - 14.7 ppg
35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Sr. - F - 16.0 ppg
33 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - So. - G - 16.3 ppg
13 - Brandi Jeffery - 5-7 - Jr. - G - 4.3 ppg,

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Lady Lions
5 - Amber Haggie - 6-0 - Jr. - F - 0.3 ppg
12 - Mollie Campbell - 6-0 - Fr. - F - 1.8 ppg
32 - Jasmyne Victorian - 6-0 - Jr. - F - 2.3 ppg
4 - Christina Lasane - 5-9 - Sr. - G - 7.3 ppg
20 - Cassidy Wright - 5-6 - So. - G - 8.0 ppg

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2-0.

Nebraska improved to 38-2 all-time in home openers with the win over UCLA.

Jordan Hooper is just 46 made three pointers shy of the school record of 267 held by Kiera Hardy.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=29&SPID=25&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209317362&DB_OEM_ID=100

78-55 final Huskers win it!

A tale of two halves. The Huskers look like a sweet sixteen team the first half of the first half and then looked like a team hoping to make the bubble. Poor paint defense the second half let APBU out score the Huskers the second half. Lots of uncharacteristic turnovers (20)  through out the whole game. Like the shot clock violation.

Jordan Hooper came out on fire scoring the first 10 points of the game. She wound up leading all scorers with 23. Emily Cady with 11 points and 8 boards. Little Sadie Murren had a career high 12 points. I've been wondering just how long it would take the refs to call traveling on Sadie as she always has had that little hop when she shoots. It caught up with her tonight as the ref that looked like she could be Sadie's sister whistled her for 3 of them. She lost 6 points tonight due to that fact.

Pretty good crowd tonight for a icy street evening. Or I should say fairly good crowd tonight until the 10 minute mark of the second half when about a third of them decided to hit the exits. Parking was better tonight maybe the slow pokes decided to stay home!

That little hop drives me crazy, and HS refs in Nebraska tend not to call it.  There are a fair number of girls that play for the same club Murren played for in HS that do it.  My daughter and I would go to the state HS tourney every year and sit there and watch these girls chuck in 3 pointer after 3 pointer after obviously hopping with the ball, but the refs just let it slide.  Not to mention that by taking the little hop, you are allowing the defense a little more time to get in position to block your shot (something I saw happen a few times with Murren last year).

That little hop drives me crazy, and HS refs in Nebraska tend not to call it.  There are a fair number of girls that play for the same club Murren played for in HS that do it.  My daughter and I would go to the state HS tourney every year and sit there and watch these girls chuck in 3 pointer after 3 pointer after obviously hopping with the ball, but the refs just let it slide.  Not to mention that by taking the little hop, you are allowing the defense a little more time to get in position to block your shot (something I saw happen a few times with Murren last year).

She's going to have to figure out how to get that shot off without the hop.  5 turnovers against Arkansas Pine-Bluff isn't going to gut it.  I assume this will be a cathartic moment, and much practice time will be devoted to breaking a bad habit.  We need that shot against zones, so I hope she can retool it.  If not, she won't see the floor much; we can't have a turnover machine out there. 

I'm a little surprised it didn't get worked out her freshman year.  I'm concerned that it is going to be a habit that is really hard to break since she has been shooting that way for so long, and being allowed to get away with it.  Besides the traveling issue, even if it isn't called, she has got to get the ball off quicker.  There's a lot more speed at D1 on defense, and having a 3 pointer slapped back in your face isn't going to cut it either.

She can shoot the 3, but needs to fix this problem sooner rather than later.

Noah would be proud, I think that was the most students ever to show up in the student section. More than I can ever remember. If they keep coming basketball head kid's going to get lost in the mix.

basketball head kid name is Anthony. And that sure is a good name. So why do you think that students are starting to show up for the women's games.

UNO beats Ark.-Pine Bluff 76-48. 

With regard to UNO:  Interesting to see Mikaela Shaw starting for UNO and averaging over 30 minutes a game as a freshman.  Row 6 and I posted following the All-Star game this summer that we thought Shaw was the best player on the floor that night.  Personally I struggle to see how Ramacieri gets a scholarship over Shaw, but I am admittedly an amateur.  Randy Edwards has done some nice things with his club players, even though his team doesn't get the attention of the Cornhusker Shooting Stars. 

Good post HB! Inquiring minds wonder!

Now is the seat going to start getting hot down in Manhattan? I hope both of these two beat downs had the winning team put in their scrubs only to put the starters back in a minute later like Patterson would do!

Their last two results--------

UTEP 84 - Kansas St 39

Wichita St 69 - Kansas St 46  in Manhattan

Wow, Row 6, I hadn't noticed that (KSU).  But that's why the women's board is so good to check out frequently.

I saw that Katya Leick is starting for K-State, with 16 and 25 minutes the past 2 games.  Brianna Craig didn't play in the UTEP blowout--don't know if it was injury or coach's decision.  The next game she played 34 minutes off the bench.

Love to see K-State lose, because they are K-State, and because of what I have seen first-hand with Patterson over the years.

Good post HB! Inquiring minds wonder!

Now is the seat going to start getting hot down in Manhattan? I hope both of these two beat downs had the winning team put in their scrubs only to put the starters back in a minute later like Patterson would do!

Their last two results--------

UTEP 84 - Kansas St 39

Wichita St 69 - Kansas St 46  in Manhattan

You reap what you sow.