Way to early b1g thoughts

lanigan123

i'm actually more worried about the non-conference. I think the B1G is slightly overrated, and we are capable of stealing some games. I'll feel pretty good if we have 3 losses our less heading into the B1G.

I think I'd feel really good about 3 losses or less.  UMass, either New Mex or UAB, Miami, Creighton, Cincinnati all credible foes and we've already turned back FGCU.  We could easily drop two games at Charlotte and still have Miami, Creighton and Cinci left before we hit conference play.

So, yes, if we can make it to conference with only 3 losses, I will be very pleased.

Here is my wishful thinking....

We go 2-1 at Charleston

More than likely losses @Creighton @Cincy

Puts us at 3 losses.  That is what I'm hoping is worst case. 

Would love to somehow just lose 2 in the Non-Conference but that would be tough IMO.

Before the season I did my predictions on my own and had us at 10-3.  Going 2-1 at Charleston with losses at Cincy and Creighton.

I would be very happy with a 10-3 record heading to the B10.

Always fun to see peoples way too early predictions.  There were some on Rivals that said after 2 games they expect to see a winning record in conference and 21 or 22 wins.  I asked the guy if he'd be willing to literally bet his house on it because it seemed like easy money.  His reply was he'd do $20.  

Always fun to see peoples way too early predictions.  There were some on Rivals that said after 2 games they expect to see a winning record in conference and 21 or 22 wins.  I asked the guy if he'd be willing to literally bet his house on it because it seemed like easy money.  His reply was he'd do $20.  

The easiest $20 you'll ever win or the most satisfying you'd ever lose.

Sorry to be a jackball, but honestly, this is the first time ever for me where I haven't felt it was necessary to draw an expectation line for games won. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because I actually can see progress for the first time in a long time and I see that its a young and talented team. Before I would throw an expected win number out there but it was more in defense of the bad program we had and really the number of games that I hoped/wished we would win. And of course I was always let down. Part of what makes this season so exciting is that we could win 24 games and make the tourney or we could win just 14 games but still recognize growth and progress. Exciting times.

It is still early on data (and they are missing two games in Charleston), but RPI Forecast gives us a .01% chance to hit 20 wins.  If we do, they project our RPI would be 13.  http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

This.

20 wins is terribly ambitious for this group right now.

how about 19? 19 would at least give us a chance of getting into the tourney. West virginia got in at 19-13 in 2012

It is still early on data (and they are missing two games in Charleston), but RPI Forecast gives us a .01% chance to hit 20 wins.  If we do, they project our RPI would be 13.  http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

This.

20 wins is terribly ambitious for this group right now.

how about 19? 19 would at least give us a chance of getting into the tourney. West virginia got in at 19-13 in 2012

Honestly, I think that with our schedule and how it could shake out, we could be dancing with 17.  But that's beyond the point.

It's just way to early and this team is just way to young to get a grasp on how they're gonna develop.  I'm with ajb on this one.  The point of this season is going to be less about how many wins they get than it is how much more improved they will most likely be over any team in, oh say, a dozen years maybe?

As far as the B1G is concerned, I'm really anxious to see how this team stacks up against the middle-tier programs in the Conference. I'm specifically talking about Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Purdue. Cumulatively, we have six games against these teams. I'd love to emerge with 3 wins from that slate. That's asking a lot, but it's far from impossible. This team is a dangerous opponent. They're not going to be consistently great, but if a big-time program takes them lightly or has an off night when we're playing hot, they're capable of upsetting some very good basketball teams.

In a nutshell, what I'd love to accomplish in-Conference this season is:

1) Dominate the bottom feeders: Sweep Northwestern and Penn State (4-of-4)

2) Challenge the middle of the pack: Emerge from the Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Purdue games with 3 wins (3-of-6)

3) Steal one from a powerhouse: Get one "shock the world" win against MSU, OSU, Indiana, Michigan or Wisconsin (1-of-8)

The scenario I outlined above is attainable for this team. It might require some luck and steady improvement, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. If we fall short, I won't be disappointed, because this is a very optimistic scenario, but I remain hopeful that the above is achievable for this team.

I think this team is going to go through a stretch of games where they don't play up to their potential at all and a lot of people get pretty frustrated with them. Keep in mind they're young and nowhere near as seasoned (read: mentally tough) as last year's team.

I will add that we should remember how many games it took last years team to figure things out (become mentally tough, learn their roles, learn how to win). They got better all the way to the end of the season when they played their best ball. Miles has things figured out, he's a pretty sharp cookie, and he's done this before. I think everybody knows that but it will be very fun to see how this team progresses. There's a lot of nitpicking right now, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Heck, the coaches are doing the same thing right now to pinpoint the weaknesses and the problems so they can get better and solve them. Exciting times. This team is going to get better. I would be a little bit worried if we were polished right now. But, as it is, we are undefeated with 3 blowout wins and we are still finding areas that the team can improve in. I like it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Looking at out schedule, looks like tim got us a good challenging trip ahead of us. Not only are the teams in charleston classic good ones, but the big ten has Michigan state at #1, ohio state, michigan and wisconsin (as expected) all in the top 14. We also have iowa, indiana, and minnesota receiving votes. 

what's scary is that cincinnati, and Umass are also receiving votes and creighton is #23, not to mention miami (though they're washed up. 

Buckle up for a ride! the testing begins. It will be great if we can beat any of them, but if we win most of the non conference (or sweep it!) the excitement and hype will be glorious. :)

that said, I'm not expecting a lot this year. They are young and stupid right now, but if we come together, we have the athleticism to beat a lot of good teams and make some upsets. I want to rush the court this year! I'm excited guys, I'm excited.

We've beaten every team ranked 5-10 in the B1G pre-season rankings at least once in the past two seasons. Those "shock the world" type games won't be. Michigan and OSU are very winnable games.  I don't have a house, but I'd bet a hell of alot more than twenty dollars, that we finish 6th in the Conference with 20+ wins.