Is Fuller going to redshirt? Should he?

hhcmatt

Miles wants an 8-9 man rotation and he can do that without Fuller at the moment.

Fuller is going to be a good to great player for us...you can see the basketball IQ and eventually he'll get that shot calibrated...maybe even sped up.

Are we better off having Fuller play in 2013-14 or 2017-18?

I didn't expect him to redshirt initially, but I've changed my mind on this one. It's obvious he has some skills & a lot of potential, but he's also a little tentative right now and could maybe use a year in the weight room. And once Biggs & Ray re-join the lineup, minutes are going to be tough to find. So he's probably better off redshirting.

Good point, although I think players & officials will both adjust a bit and find the common ground as the season progresses. Maybe I was overthinking it  ;)  but it seemed to me from Monday's UNK game to Friday's FGCU game, I noticed more players playing D with their hands in the air, really trying to avoid that type of hand check foul. 

The fouls that were a bit more of a surprise were the arm bars/push offs under the basket while rebounding, I think NU had 3 of those, none of which would have been a foul in the past. And the moving screens on the pick and roll.

I believe Nick Bahe on his radio show yesterday said 5 teams shot 50 free throws in a game on opening weekend - all of last season only 11 teams attempted 50 FTs in a game. Niagara & Seton Hall EACH shot 50+ FTs in their game.

So there will have to be some tweaking of the way the game is called, and I don't think we'll end up in a spot where we'd have to use Fuller because of foul trouble.

I hope.  ;)

I am hoping that with the new foul rules, we don't end up in foul trouble more often than expected. If we do, Fuller could be needed.

I think we all agree that him playing garbage minutes because we're up or down big doesn't do a lot.

There is no reason he couldn't decide to redshirt and then burn the redshirt at any point during the season due to team injuries or other circumstances.  If Hawkins is out 10 games with a foot injury and then starts playing it's no different than if Fuller started playing after 10 games.

Talked last night with a guy close to the program (manager)

He said Fuller is going to redshirt this week if Miles excepts it..  It was Fuller's choice to do it.  He went to Coach Miles.  Miles was surprised because he wasn't planning to redshirt him..

Playing the 3 and 4 positiions he realized he needs alot more strength to be effective. He is young with room to grow.

Last years redshirts (Petteway, Pitchford and Biggs) told Nick it was the best thing they did to get stronger and better at this high level of basketball.

Fuller did not want to use up a year if he only would get 5-10 min a game (maybe closer to 5 than 10).  He was looking at the big picture to help the program get to NCAA tourney.

Fuller being a freshman next year is huge because I dont think we will bring in a true freshman (only 2 scholarships) as good as Fuller next year.

Fuller did not want to use up a year if he only would get 5-10 min a game (maybe closer to 5 than 10).  He was looking at the big picture to help the program get to NCAA tourney.

Fuller being a freshman next year is huge because I dont think we will bring in a true freshman (only 2 scholarships) as good as Fuller next year.

If you didn't realize it before, we hired a program builder to coach here and he's currently doing it.

Away from home for the first time.  check

Finding your way around campus.  check

Taking classes that are most likely harder than anything you took in high school.  check

And then seeing that you are playing against men. check

Shows me is a kid with a very good head on his shoulders and has thought this through.  Not a knee jeck reaction.

And, yes I feel he will be much more valuable  for us as a 5th year senoir instead of a freshman who only plays if the game is won or lost.

I love the unselfish attitude of this young man.  I think him redshirting is a good decision, as he is going to be a very good player for us in the future.

While I expected Fuller to be a decent contributer off the bench this year, it seems like he's slowly adjusting to th game at this level. If Fuller wants to redshirt, I say go for it. He will be better in 2017-18 than this year. I hope he turns into an Sam Dekker type who was a really solid freshmen for the Badgers last year. Not sure if Fuller is quite as athletic as Dekker, but I would definitely take that.

From what Little I know, I allways thought Hawkins would be a more obvious candidate to RS. Coach Miles is building this Thing and if redshirthig a Quality Player to help us get there, so be it. I hope we come to a Point soon, when we only recruit Players who can contribute right away.

GBR

Not playing grammar cop or anything (or should I say "Grammar Cop"?) but I read this from berlinblackshirts and just had to grin.  Auf Deutch, you capitalize the first Letter of Nouns, right?  In English, we don't do that.  But what berlinblackshirt just typed followed the rule for German even though he typed it in English.  Which I found amusing considering it's from someone who goes by the nickname berlinblackshirt.  Ausgezeichnet, Herr Berlinblackshirt.  :D

I'm okay with him redshirting if he's not strong enough to make a difference in the paint, which is where we need him this season. Our two functional bigs have to hold down the fort, which is I think why Miles spent time addressing Walter's desperate need for some paint play which he addressed in the postgame presser.

It's looking like we're going to go only as far as our guards can take us anyway, so this is probably for the best down the road.

I was happy to hear this news.  I am a big Fuller fan and I think he is going to be DAMN good.  I really do.  I like the things he can do for a man his size with a shot as pure as his.  Obviously as long as we don't have suspensions/injuries this is a great decision IMO.  We can go 9 deep without him:

Biggs, Gallegos, Parker, Webster, Petteway, Pitchford, Shields, Smith and Rivers......then if Hawkins doesn't RS, that gives us a 10th option.  All 11 guys aren't going to be playing that much if we can stay healthy.  So why not get this man stronger, quicker and more adjusted to this style of play.  Losing only Gallegos off this years team gives me goosebumps thinking about the future of this program.  By the time Shields is a senior with Pitch, Petteway we could be scary good. 

For those who want to balance out recruiting classes, I would note that we have one guy committed for the current recruiting class and we had three freshman come into the program this year.  If Fuller redshirts, he'll join Hammond as the freshmen next year while Webster and Hawkins would be the sophomores.  That would give us two in each class rather than 1 and 3.  (I realize we have a spot still to offer for this year.  We've had that same spot available the last two years and didn't fill it.)

For those who want to balance out recruiting classes, I would note that we have one guy committed for the current recruiting class and we had three freshman come into the program this year.  If Fuller redshirts, he'll join Hammond as the freshmen next year while Webster and Hawkins would be the sophomores.  That would give us two in each class rather than 1 and 3.  (I realize we have a spot still to offer for this year.  We've had that same spot available the last two years and didn't fill it.)

Which sadly, in hindsight I'm sure Miles regrets, could've been filled with a juco in year one and would be a senior this year.  Could have had another body to give minutes last year at least.  Like Fahro who averaged 9 and 4 last year and 11 and 8 so far this year.