Shavon Shields is your opening B1G POTW

runsoastowin

Shields Dunk

Shields Named Big Ten Player of the Week

Lincoln – Nebraska basketball player Shavon Shields garnered Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors Monday afternoon following his performance against Florida Gulf Coast last Friday.The 6-foot-7 sophomore had a game-high 28 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field and a perfect 12-of-12 from the foul line in the win over 2013 Sweet 16 qualifier FGCU. Shields, whose 28 points were the most by a Big Ten player last weekend, also led the Huskers in rebounds (six) and assists (3) while not committing a turnover in 35 minutes of action.

Monday’s honor is the third of Shields’ career, as he was a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week in 2012-13. He is the first Husker to earn the Big Ten Player of the Week since Andre Almeida last December.

- courtesy of Huskers.com

http://www.bigten.or.../111113aaa.html

Well deserved. I am very optimistic about his future.

Click here to view the article

med_gallery_2_34_42303.jpg

Lincoln – Nebraska basketball player Shavon Shields garnered Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors Monday afternoon following his performance against Florida Gulf Coast last Friday.The 6-foot-7 sophomore had a game-high 28 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field and a perfect 12-of-12 from the foul line in the win over 2013 Sweet 16 qualifier FGCU. Shields, whose 28 points were the most by a Big Ten player last weekend, also led the Huskers in rebounds (six) and assists (35) while not committing a turnover in 35 minutes of action.

Monday’s honor is the third of Shields’ career, as he was a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week in 2012-13. He is the first Husker to earn the Big Ten Player of the Week since Andre Almeida last December.

35 assists in one game?  By one guy?  That has to be some kind of record.

Just throwing this out there, but is Shavon good enough to leave early?

Just something to talk about while we wait for tomorrow.

I haven't seen the "it" factor yet. Saw it in Tyrone and Chauncey Billups. But it is early.

No.  Not even close to that level yet.  Not saying he can't ever play in NBA but not at the level to leave early. 

Just throwing this out there, but is Shavon good enough to leave early?

Just something to talk about while we wait for tomorrow.

I haven't seen the "it" factor yet. Saw it in Tyrone and Chauncey Billups. But it is early.

No.  Not even close to that level yet.  Not saying he can't ever play in NBA but not at the level to leave early. 

It's more of a question of what position he would play.  He's certainly too small to play PF in the league.  But I question whether he's really quick enough to play wing or guard.  I could be totally wrong here.  Lord knows I have been before and will be again.  But I think he's a terrific college player whose game might not translate well to the NBA.  And that's OK.  For us.

med_gallery_2_34_42303.jpg

Lincoln – Nebraska basketball player Shavon Shields garnered Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors Monday afternoon following his performance against Florida Gulf Coast last Friday.The 6-foot-7 sophomore had a game-high 28 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field and a perfect 12-of-12 from the foul line in the win over 2013 Sweet 16 qualifier FGCU. Shields, whose 28 points were the most by a Big Ten player last weekend, also led the Huskers in rebounds (six) and assists (35) while not committing a turnover in 35 minutes of action.

35 assists in one game?  By one guy?  That has to be some kind of record.

That's a lotta dimes

I don't know if I've seen this anywhere yet so let me be the first to say....I like this Shields kid.

Great Kid and a very nice player who will keep getting better.  Didn't Coach Sadler sign him?

Correct as Coach Sadler recruited him but Coach Miles had the option to actually him or not.  Just glad he decided to keep him.