History of Wisconsin Basketball

Shuttlesworth

Did you know that from 1959-1995, Wisconsin only had eight winning seasons? EIGHT! What changed? Well, a couple of things-They hired Dick Bennett who five years later, handed the keys to a coach who had a previous string of success at the D-III level-Bo Ryan. Two years prior to Ryan's arrival they built the Kohl Center. Since then? They have rattled off 15 straight NCAA Tourney appearances, three regular season conference titles, two conference tournament titles, one Final Four, two Elite Eights, and six Sweet 16s. That is one hell of a run. What does this all mean? Screw our elusive first tourney win, I want more. I want what Wisconsin has. If history is indicator, Wisconsin has proven that it can be done. And not to get ahead of myself, but for them, it started with parallels to our current situation. Dare to dream, right?

Shuttle: I agree with your point that we should dream big and hope for an established winning program. However, your connecting us with Wisconsin is tenuous at best. You could make the same point by using Pitt or Baylor in basketball or Kansas State in football. But I appreciate your effort and do think that Cheese hats and Corn hats are equally unfortunate.

They jump started the thing with Stu Jackson and then found Bennett and Ryan to keep it going.

If we had hired Larry Brown or a "big name" it would be a more apt comparison.

The big thing about Bennett and then Ryan has been having a plan on how to be successful and then consistently following through with it year after year.  For them, boring basketball = winning basketball

They jump started the thing with Stu Jackson and then found Bennett and Ryan to keep it going.

The big thing about Bennett and then Ryan has been having a plan on how to be successful and then consistently following through with it year after year.  For them, boring basketball = winning basketball

But no recruits ever want to go play for a team that plays boring basketball. 

Or that doesn't wear Nike gear.

Definitely makes it harder to recruit

Did you know that from 1959-1995, Wisconsin only had eight winning seasons? EIGHT! What changed? Well, a couple of things-They hired Dick Bennett who five years later, handed the keys to a coach who had a previous string of success at the D-III level-Bo Ryan. Two years prior to Ryan's arrival they built the Kohl Center. Since then? They have rattled off 15 straight NCAA Tourney appearances, three regular season conference titles, two conference tournament titles, one Final Four, two Elite Eights, and six Sweet 16s. That is one hell of a run. What does this all mean? Screw our elusive first tourney win, I want more. I want what Wisconsin has. If history is indicator, Wisconsin has proven that it can be done. And not to get ahead of myself, but for them, it started with parallels to our current situation. Dare to dream, right?

Hell! You are not dreaming big enough....as I want what Wisconsin does NOT have:

One win in a game played on Monday night in April.

GATA

:D