A little off topic, but I was watching Indiana play last night and recognized a name, Troy Williams, from the Oak Hill team that lost to Omaha Central last year in GI. After some quick research, I found out that four members of that Oak Hill team started for high major programs over the weekend-Troy Williams-Indiana, Nate Britt-UNC, Ike Iroegbu-Washington State, and Sindarius Thornwell-South Carolina. First, that makes Central's win that much more impressive. Second, I felt like Agau was the best player on the court that night. Playing in front of the home crowd may have had something to do with it, but it surprises me that those Oak Hill guys are getting so much early time while Agau sits, albeit for a better team. Anybody else go that Heartland Hoops Classic last year?

Great Team ball often beats "all-stars" especially at that level Oak hill mostly just brings in senior transfers and the occasional junior or sophomore. Central players have been together for years whereas that team had for a couple months and are there to showcase their skills. Not taking away from central and their win but if those same kids had spent a few years together that game is a lot different.

Soooo did we give Akoy too much hype?

Florida fans could say the same about Pitchford his freshman year and look at what he's doing two years later. Some big men just aren't ready to compete in year one. I think as a big at a major basketball school you either have to be the creme de la creme or expect to sit several years if you want to play. I think many feel they can play right away when it's not the case and you end up with what these two players' freshman years were and have been. I guarantee you Agau performs well if he did what Pitchford does transferring to a place he can play after gaining a valuable training year.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Akoy again didn't even play tonight in a 40-point blowout.  I'm seriously wondering what's going on with him.  If he's that lost out there, why wasn't he redshirted?

Do people redshirt at Louisville?

ha! seriously. I can't imagine Pitino wanting anyone on the books past their natural expiration date. When you can recruit blue chippers every season, player development is pretty optional. I would guess his motto is "contribute or rot".

Not to beat a dead horse, but Akoy again didn't even play tonight in a 40-point blowout.  I'm seriously wondering what's going on with him.  If he's that lost out there, why wasn't he redshirted?

Yes, ironically they redshirted a raw Sudanese post player just last year (Mangok Mathiang)

Senior Forward Stephan Van Treese was also a redshirt

ha! seriously. I can't imagine Pitino wanting anyone on the books past their natural expiration date. When you can recruit blue chippers every season, player development is pretty optional. I would guess his motto is "contribute or rot".

Any word on if he is hurt?  I mean I knew he was not ready to be an all star or anything, but I thought he would at least see more minutes than Vooch this year.... as of now they are pretty even.

Was speaking with a coach from the Omaha area last year at state tourney and he felt Agau would be back within 2 years. He said Pitino has some "eccentric traits" that Agau would tire of and that he would be wearing a Nebraska uniform before his college career was over.

Was speaking with a coach from the Omaha area last year at state tourney and he felt Agau would be back within 2 years. He said Pitino has some "eccentric traits" that Agau would tire of and that he would be wearing a Nebraska uniform before his college career was over.

Miles is all about Div I transfers looking for a fresh start.  We're at 3 and counting.

Miles is all about Div I transfers looking for a fresh start.  We're at 3 and counting.

Pitchford (from U. of Florida) & Petteway (from Texas Tech) are two, who would be the third.... Leslee Smith from SMU (through Juco)?

The first guy I thought of was Biggs, since it's pretty clear he's D-1 talent... only made his way thru Juco route.

Similarly-The fact that Agau was courting Hawkins and Fuller on their visits, legitimized a very heavy interest in Nebraska, at least from my perspective. The draw of playing for a powerhouse like Louisville ultimately won him over, but I always had the feeling that he'd leave the door open to coming back. That is, of course, if Miles is leaving the door open (which is an entirely different story). Sadly, I'm not so sure that the bridge wasn't burnt.

I commented on Slick Rick's propensity to oversign when Agau was considering Louisville...but it bears repeating...Pitino does not redshirt, he over-signs and runs off.

Here is one typical article about the slick one signing Agau. It shows Pitino's national reputation...and why I suggested Agau back off from going there. This Sporting News article of Agau's signing notes that Akoy's signing is trouble for the then existing scholarship players at the end of the bench.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-09-20/louisville-lands-top-100-big-man-akoy-agau-creates-another-scholarship-logjam

These other articles were also tea leaves that Akoy may have failed to read and absorb.

These are four others he may have missed...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/07/rick-pitino-oversigning-and-some-more-ramblings-about-transfers/

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/9/20/3362566/college-basketball-rick-pitino-wants-to-sign-25-guys-for-13

http://www.thevictoryformation.com/2012/09/20/rick-pitino-oversigns-everybody-looks-the-other-way/

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/09/18/why-is-oversigning-accepted-in-basketball.htm

Now it appears Akoy may be that player at the end of the bench...he may hear that very well scripted speech about how "it will be better to play 30 minutes a game at another school than a few minutes here (Louisville)".

If he can dig his way out of the cellar, I hope he does it with extreme success...if not, I know where I would like to see him transfer.

"There's no place like home!"...Dorothy...and all future NE kids.

Pitchford (from U. of Florida) & Petteway (from Texas Tech) are two, who would be the third.... Leslee Smith from SMU (through Juco)?

The first guy I thought of was Biggs, since it's pretty clear he's D-1 talent... only made his way thru Juco route.

Pitch, Petteway, and Smith.  The only reason Smith was at a JUCO last year was because he already redshirted and JUCO (or a lower division) was the only chance for him to play ball.  I can't technically count Biggs.

Shatel had this item the other day:

Louisville coach Rick Pitino had some fun with some of his players at the Cardinals' tipoff lunch back in October, including Akoy Agau, the former Central star. Pitino told the audience that Agau was from Nebraska and noted, “He plays defense like he's from Nebraska.”

might explain the playing time.