uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 6, ed 2 - FGCU, PBA Opener!

uneblinstu

WOOO!  That was awesome!

- Foul trouble kept him from having a huge night, but we saw what a difference maker Webster can be.  Kid's gonna light it up. 

- Shavon was, again, the best player on the floor tonight.  He looks a touch quicker this year than last.  Am I the only one that saw that?

- For those that question whether Parker can have a role on this team, he can.  He showed it tonight.  He won't play starters minutes, but he'll provide a spark, and steady hand when he's in there.  

- Petteway had a few moves tonight that were pretty filthy.  Kid looks like the real deal.

- Pitchford can shoot it.  Not afraid there, thought he did ok down low defensively, but that wasn't nearly the stiff test he'll see later down the line.  Offensive weapon for sure, though.

- Rivers.  Like that kid.  Wish he'd have redshirted his freshman year...  Seems to have taken another step forward.

- Smith looked like we're used to seeing kids coming up from JUCO.  Swimming a bit.  He'll get there.  Looked good a couple of times and has the frame to hang with it on the block.

- Didn't see Fuller.  What was up with that?  Redshirt possibility?

- All the pregame stuff was pretty cool.  I thought Tommy Lee was going to be a part of the drum line.  Guess not.  The DJ thing was a little hokey, but whatevs...

- Loved the whole band coming out and doing their thing.  

- Didn't mind the Bon Jovi video, but I'm guessing that is going to be unpopular.

All in all, can't ask for much more than we got.  It did, in fact, get pretty loud in there.  Thought the fans were pretty good.  Great at times.  That place can be pretty special if the fans do their role.  The more games we have like that, the better.

This post has been promoted to an article

* I thought the place was pretty loud...does everyone agree?

* Shavon, I realllllyyyyy like that kid!

* We struggled a bit from the outside, but it is more of a consistency thing than anything else.

* We did that without Gallegos and Biggs

* Was there anyone on our team that did not play pretty darn good.

* Okay, all of those fouls are going to drive me to drink.

* The Haymarket needs to amp it up a bit. 

It is veeeerrrrrry fortunate for last year's team that the rule change happened this year.  We would have been meat if we'd have picked up fouls like that last year.  We might have had to finish games with fewer than 5 players.

How lucky for us that we have great depth at the guard position!

Miles made a comment in his post-game that "We're a big away."  Yep. 

But isn't it great to see those switching wings?  That ability sort of neutralizes the whole emphasis on calling handchecks when you don't have to fight through screens to keep up with your man.

Got sloppy in the 2nd half.  Hard not to with such a big lead.  Still, a bit of a damper on an otherwise tremendous night.  Some matador defense needs to get cleaned up. 

Pitchford needs to get involved in the offense inside the paint.  I like him taking 3 pointers, too.  But the man cannot live on three bread alone.  And we need a guy who can score inside when we need to get a point there.  With the way our ballhandlers will have advantages driving, we need a guy (like Rivers did a couple of times tonight) who can wait for the dish and flush it.  But I'd also like to see a guy who can take a post entry pass and score against their post defense.  Pitchford has the quicks and the leaping ability, darn it.

Won the tip.  Again.  Yawn.   (Like who am I kidding?  Effin A it's nice to win those tips finally!)

Agree the students did show up in big numbers tonight.  Hope that continues. 

Great game by the Huskers - certainly hard to find any negatives.  I did think Smith struggled a little bit in the first half but came back and gave us some good minutes in the second half when we really needed it. 

I don't like the new foul rules - but I think Shavon may really be able to take advantage.  He is going to get to the line alot on those drives to the hoop and the kid is really money shooting free throws.   Webster is going to get to the line alot too - hopefully he will shoot the FT's better going forward.

Pitchford did not score much after hitting those two 3's early - but that shooting ability has to help open up those driving lanes for the other guys. 

Great game by the Huskers.  Hopefully we will get a big crowd again on Tuesday.

I'll put this on here too. Morgan Freeman video? That was sweet. Wonder if that will be played as they go into the locker room at the 10 min warmup mark every game.

It wasn't Freeman...just sounded like it

Really? It's like that person was trying to sound like Freeman then. Wonder who did it.

I'll put this on here too. Morgan Freeman video? That was sweet. Wonder if that will be played as they go into the locker room at the 10 min warmup mark every game.

It isnt Freeman apparently. Rosenthal thought it was and was told it wasnt.

Anyways. I thought that video was really well done.

The one major thing I havent seen posted so far that is something to hopefully build on for the future games is the amount of close range misses.  I cant even begin to guess but I'd venture roughly 10-12 close range lay-ups or shots within 6 feet they missed that should or could normally go in.  Even half of those go in and it makes it an even bigger win.  I hope it was just some jitters and they clean those up.

Interesting to not see Fuller get out there tonight.  Makes me wonder if Miles will try and redshirt him and Fuller.  I cant say I agree, much like Jimmy Jackson said tonight, with the possibility of a lot more fouls and needing a very deep bench that Fuller could very well be needed this year.  Obviously I agree with Miles in his decision, and who knows with Biggs and Gallegos back it wont matter, but just another thing to bring up.

Shavon is the man.

Webster- Gonna be a stud.  See's the floor so well and always looking to attack, without forcing it.  

Terran- Great athletecism.  Looked really solid.  Still think he needs to be more consistent with the jump shot but that'll come in time.

Shavon- What a damn stud.  He's two or three steps faster than he was last year.  Worked his ass off over the summer and it's really showing.  Really impressed with his footwork in the lane as well as his free throw shooting tonight.  Gonna be a great leader for us.

Rivers-  This kid will never overwhelm anyone with talent but he does the little things so well.  Played well tonight even though he was in foul trouble all night.

Walt-  Walt is just a flat out stud.  Love this kid.  Really helps to extend the defense with his ability to knock down the 3 ball so well as a 5 man.

Leslee-  I'm continuing to be impressed with his strengh around the basket.  Both shots he took in the second half were half way down and came back out but those will drop.  Free throw shooting needs some work!

Benny- Gotta say, I'm one of those who really wasn't aboard the Benny train last year.  Although I think his minutes will go down with Gallegos and Biggs returning, I think he provided a ridiculous amount of spark off the bench tonight which is something we really need.

Peltz- Strong as hell, that's about it.

Officials-  God awful.  NCAA really forcing the issue about fouls being called this year.  This game might be the most ticky tack called game i've ever seen.  Literally can't touch anyone without it being a foul.  If this is how it's called all season, it could be a frustrating year.

Also regarding Fuller, Miles pulled him over before any of the reserves and sat him down on the first seat.  He asked Fuller a question and then fuller went back to the end of the bench.  My guess is that meant he asked Fuller what his decision was and FUller decided to redshirt.  Can't confirm this obviously but that's just what it seemed like from the student section.

My only complaint was the pregame, if you manage to get 1000, half of them drunk, students standing still and looking at each other a little creeped out, then let them do that awkward Dj thing again

Other than that I enjoyed the game

Tai will be the real deal, he can get to the rack

Shavon was just Sharon, it never seems like he is scoring that many points, but then be scores 28

Benny needed that, I always thought it was a confidence issue for him

And lastly we have a chance to do some damage this year, we have some talent

Wow, a great night by every measure:
- Very nice crowd - a little surprised it was over 15K.  That just beat out a couple of 1981 15K crowds, by the way.  
- I was worried Shields might have sophomore-itis this year now that everyone knows about him.  But this team can score a number of ways, so maybe that won't be a problem.
- Parker was an absolute sparkplug out there.
- Does it sound right to say that Webster is our best driving, creating guard since Nate Johnson?

- I wasn't too crazy about the 300 level seats we have after the other night, but it helps to have a lot of company with you like there was tonight.  

- I can't believe I'm saying this, but getting out of PBA parking-wise has been easier for me - even tonight - than it was at the Bob.

Also regarding Fuller, Miles pulled him over before any of the reserves and sat him down on the first seat.  He asked Fuller a question and then fuller went back to the end of the bench.  My guess is that meant he asked Fuller what his decision was and FUller decided to redshirt.  Can't confirm this obviously but that's just what it seemed like from the student section.

I think Fuller even took off his shooting shirt during that conversation. Might just be playing it game by game for the first part of the season

They definitely exceeded my expectations tonight! Granted I set my expectations pretty low just because I didn't know what to expect. I think my prediction of 13 wins this year could be way low.....and that would not piss me off.

I thought the atmosphere was great tonight, and the student section was awesome. We as fans need to bring it like that every game! Can't wait until Tuesday night!

- Got there four hours early and got a front row seat for probably the most anticipated Husker Basketball in my memory. 

- Student section filled up really fast, and I personally feel like we were pretty loud and involved. 

- FGCU looked huge and athletic in warm-ups. Wasn't expecting a run-away victory

- Pre-game was cool. The Tommy Lee thing was a little weird after the first 30 seconds though. The band got the crowd going.

- Awesome start for the 'skers. Needed to keep the crowd into the game and three threes and an and-one from Shields certainly did the trick. 

- AcroDunk was outstanding. That flip off the back board was something I've never seen before. 

- Webster was the go-to guy for the first half. He could just slice and dice the defense. His spin move and pass to Rivers was so refreshing and exciting. He has a long way to go to, which is really exciting. 

- Terran can get to the bucket with ease. A player the Huskers certainly didn't have last year. The banked three was a nice touch too. 

- I only saw Pitchford post up once, and he didn't really get as many minutes as I think he will the rest of the season. Great shooter, and wasn't a liability on defense tonight, in my opinion. 

- Benny brought the spark tonight! So much fun to watch him on the break, with his little scoop shot. Very quick, and his hustle play on Comer was awesome. 

- Shields is a flat out stud, and much more athletic than last year. His game looks like it is resistant to slumps, too, since he is so good at shooting in traffic. 

- Loved the hook from Vooch!

- Hated some of the calls tonight, especially from that tool ref with the spiked hair who made almost every call. The 'skers had 6 team fouls before the first media timeout in the second half. 

- I wasn't very old during the Husker football dynasty, but I have gone to every football game for the past 5 years or so. I can honestly say that I think this was the best sporting even I've ever been to! Can't wait for the rest of the seaosn!

Nice win for the Huskers!  I don't think Petteway will be that effective on his outside shooting every game but maybe he has improved after a year off from Tech.  Too soon to tell about the team but a nice beginning.

Lighten up on the Peltz criticism.  He didn't do anything to hurt the team and he consistently does the dirty work, setting screens, denying cutters, picking up rebounds that often go unappreciated but are necessary for a winning team.  I'm sure with Biggs and Gallegos coming back he will spend considerable time on the pines.  I for one, like what he does for the team.

Nice win for the Huskers! I don't think Petteway will be that effective on his outside shooting every game but maybe he has improved after a year off from Tech. Too soon to tell about the team but a nice beginning.

Lighten up on the Peltz criticism. He didn't do anything to hurt the team and he consistently does the dirty work, setting screens, denying cutters, picking up rebounds that often go unappreciated but are necessary for a winning team. I'm sure with Biggs and Gallegos coming back he will spend considerable time on the pines. I for one, like what he does for the team.

He didn't hurt anything but I'm not a big fan of diving & he definitely flopped twice.