Post-game reactions to the new digs and the whole "experience."

Norm Peterson

Nighthawk, you are correct.  Our upper bowl (300 level) is closer than CLink's equivalent seating.  I have a schematic I'll try to get e-mailed to 49r so he can post it that will show a comparison of the 3 venues, Devaney, CLink and PBA.

5blre.png

Holy crap I think my brain just blew up. Does this have anything to do with where they put the Valentino's stand?

It's not as complicated of a graphic as you might think at first glance.  Just understand that the bold is PBA.  Devaney is the one that goes straight up from the floor.  And C Link is basically everything else.

So, if you want to know how we compare to C Link, just look at the nifty graphic.  Our 300 level seats are clearly closer than their upper bowl equivalent seats. 

And, according to this schematic, the first row of 200 level seats is about equal to the first row of planks (non-chair-backs) at Devaney.

Friday's game was my first time stepping into the PBA.  Based on Norm's less than flattering review, my expectations were tempered t say the least. 

All I can say is my experience was the exact opposite.  The arena is amazing, beautiful, awesome.  Combined with the renovated Haymarket I can't believe we have something like this in Lincoln.

And yes, I found the arena to be intimate.  Even moreso than the Bob.  It's a great basketall arena, not just a great arena.

I walked up to the very top row of seats and still felt like I had a great view of the game.  Wouldn't mind sitting there at all.

The PBA blows the Quest (not sure what it's called now) out of the water.  I hated my experience watching the Huskers a few years ago in that arena.  Sat in the nosebleads and the players looked like ants.  I couldn't see them they were no so far away.  Nothing even close to that at the PBA.

The only con for me was the outrageous food prices.  The food was good, I just went broke paying for it.

Railyard experience before and after was great.   Gate 25 was hopping before the game.  Reminded me of the old days when there were postgame gatherings of Husker fans and you knew a zillion people:  The old downtown Cliff's during the Moe era, and Barry's when Danny had it going. 

One beer at N Zone after the game, and the Red 1 garage was cleared out for an easy departure to east Lincoln. 

By the end of the season Silverbacked will have nothing on me!   

The concessions I purchased were reasonably priced and tasty.  It will be interessting to see which concessions are around in two or three seasons. The service was fine.  However, I didn't see all concessions.  If the service was slow for some, it is most likely because of the start up and volunteer groups working the stands.  It may take several games to weed out the ineffective volunteer groups and re-train or replace them.

The inner arena, lower bowl, had great sight lines.  The upper bowl most likely was a drag, but thats true of any 15k+arena.

I got there early for the game, as a result I didn't have any problem parking.  Paid eight bucks to park, which is reasonable.

The university performed a  much-needed clean up on the in-game court contests.

Some of the concourses seemed tight.  The tightness became more pronounced when concessions were close by.  If the horse shoe on the upper bowl becomes closed the increased seating may make some, if not all, of concouses a bad, bad dream.

All in all, the CenturyLink and it's surrounds are still the superior arena and location.  Omaha basicaly had a blank piece of canvas when they designed the arena and the nearby area. Lincoln didn't have that advantage .

All in all, the CenturyLink and it's surrounds are still the superior arena and location. Omaha basicaly had a blank piece of canvas when they designed the arena and the nearby area. Lincoln didn't have that advantage .

Maybe I misunderstood your point, and I haven't been back to Lincoln to take in the final product, but having been to the sea of parking that surrounds the CenturyLink Center, how is that area superior to the new development in Lincoln?

All in all, the CenturyLink and it's surrounds are still the superior arena and location. Omaha basicaly had a blank piece of canvas when they designed the arena and the nearby area. Lincoln didn't have that advantage .

Maybe I misunderstood your point, and I haven't been back to Lincoln to take in the final product, but having been to the sea of parking that surrounds the CenturyLink Center, how is that area superior to the new development in Lincoln?

I don't think it is...unless convenient parking is the goal.  But for me personally, I think having all of the development right adjacent to the arena with all the food and drink options they bring really adds to the overall appeal of the arena.  It makes that area a 365 day a year entertainment option.  The CenturyLink deal is dark just about as many nights as there are events...maybe even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention it but during the SC St game the announcer after every 3pt make would say (Player's name) for.....and then would trail off waiting for the crowd to say "Three".  

This is the sort of stuff that actually engages the crowd.  Loved it.

I thought that was a nice touch as well.  Crowd was not really tuned into it too much yet though.  Students need to lead that with a loud shout and then the rest of the crowd will follow.

I forgot to mention it but during the SC St game the announcer after every 3pt make would say (Player's name) for.....and then would trail off waiting for the crowd to say "Three".  

I thought that was a nice touch as well.  Crowd was not really tuned into it too much yet though.  Students need to lead that with a loud shout and then the rest of the crowd will follow.

It's one of those deals where you have to start from somewhere.

It's one of those deals where you have to start from somewhere.

True....but this is one of the reasons they need to bring back the yell squad. Honestly...as much as I like studying the cheerleaders that we have...they need to bring back the yell squad. I think they could do a better job getting the students and then everyone else into making more noise.