2013-2014 KenPom Rankings Thread

HuskerActuary

Well, we pushed Ohio State into 1st.  But we're only 4 spots away from Purdue for 9th in the league, a win against Michigan just might get us there.

Other notable movement includes Indiana and Northwestern dropping like rocks, Cincinnati moving into the top 20 and UNO inching ever closer to the top 100.  Here are today's KenPom Rankings:

Kenpom rankings as of 1-5-14.
==============================

B1G (0-2):
1. Ohio State - L
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
14. Iowa - L
20. Michigan
38. Minnesota

44. Illinois

63. Indiana

92. Purdue

95. Penn State

96. Nebraska

149. Northwestern

Non-Conference (8-4):
221. Florida Gulf Coast - W
279. Western Illinois - W
317. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
29. UMass - L
107. UAB - L
171. Georgia - W

262. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
86. Miami - W

11. @Creighton - L
144. Arkansas State - W
348. The Citadel - W
19. @Cincinnati - L

Other teams of interest:
64. Maryland (10-5)
119. Omaha (10-5)

197. Rutgers (7-8)

Holy Mackerel.  UNO is higher now than we were all of last year?  Can I be reading that right?  That is astounding.  Their coach, by the way, gets paid right at or slightly more than $100,000/year.  And no car deal.  And they've been D1 how long?

That is very impressive to me.  Good for them.  A 2nd team in Nebraska that I can cheer for.

We're in 9th.  Ahead of Purdue.  As heartbreaking a loss as it was last night, we need to look at the positives a little bit.  There are still plenty of wins left on our schedule.  We need to go get them, and grab an upset or two as well.  NIT is still not out of the question.  Here are today's KenPom Rankings:

Kenpom rankings as of 1-10-14.

B1G (0-3):
2. Ohio State - L
3. Wisconsin
8. Michigan State
13. Iowa - L
20. Michigan - L
39. Minnesota

49. Illinois

69. Indiana

90. Nebraska

93. Purdue

98. Penn State

167. Northwestern

Non-Conference (8-4):
200. Florida Gulf Coast - W
278. Western Illinois - W
320. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
27. UMass - L
107. UAB - L
142. Georgia - W

268. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
73. Miami - W

7. @Creighton - L
196. Arkansas State - W
341. The Citadel - W
21. @Cincinnati - L

Other teams of interest:
63. Maryland (10-6)
117. Omaha (10-5)

193. Rutgers (7-8)

If that Leslee Smith tip try goes in, we're swinging up near Indiana territory.

Dayum.

Or . . . If Smith hadn't traveled two or three times in a row . . . or if he hadn't given up that pick-six with 1:26 remaining . . .

Or if the refs hadn't called the foul on Shavon when Michigan was on offense and their player flew into Shavon and pushed him in the back.

If that Leslee Smith tip try goes in, we're swinging up near Indiana territory.

Dayum.

Or . . . If Smith hadn't traveled two or three times in a row . . . or if he hadn't given up that pick-six with 1:26 remaining . . .

One of those for sure was NOT a travel and the rest were questionable and weren't called on Michigan when their players did basically the same thing.  We were owed a few makeup calls and didn't get them.

On that pick-six, I explained in another thread that there should have been a foul called on Terran Petteway that would have given Michigan the ball out of bounds at about half court instead of Robinson doing in for a jam.  The one time they should have called a foul on us and didn't was the one time it worked to Michigan's advantage that the whistle stay silent.

Hey, Norm, thought you'd enjoy reading the following post on Michigan's free Rivals board from a Michigan fan who seems to support your view:

"We played well enough to win but I don't remember winning a big ten road game where so many bounces and 50/50 calls by the refs went our way. Not saying certain calls were wrong just, sayin..."

Well, here you have it.  We're still ahead of Purdue.  Iowa has slipped into the top 5, and Ohio State is looming at #7....Here are today's KenPom Rankings:

Kenpom rankings as of 1-13-14.

B1G (0-4):
2. Wisconsin
5. Iowa - L
7. Ohio State - L
9. Michigan State
19. Michigan - L
40. Minnesota

60. Indiana

61. Illinois

91. Nebraska

93. Purdue - L

104. Penn State

155. Northwestern

Non-Conference (8-4):
220. Florida Gulf Coast - W
260. Western Illinois - W
322. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
32. UMass - L
116. UAB - L
140. Georgia - W

234. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
69. Miami - W

8. @Creighton - L
184. Arkansas State - W
339. The Citadel - W
20. @Cincinnati - L

Other teams of interest:
70. Maryland (10-7)
121. Omaha (10-6)

199. Rutgers (7-9)

Thanks for updating this after each game - good info that I'm too lazy to look up. I'm a little surprised that an 8-8 team still is in the Top 100 - but we have played a really tough schedule the past few weeks.

A little surprised Northwestern didn't get a bigger bump from beating Illinois, but maybe KenPom isn't as "impressed" with UI as some of the Big Ten Network analysts seem to be.  ;)

NU is:

• 0-3 vs Top 10 (none at home)
  • 0-5 vs Top 25 (0-1 home)
  • 0-6 vs Top 50 (0-1 at home)
  • 1-7 vs Top 100 (1-1 at home)
  • 2-8 vs Top 150 (still 1-1 at home)
  • 6-0 vs #151 and lower (all at home)

And against teams in our "neighborhood":

• 1-1 vs #51 thru #100 (1-0 at home)
  • 2-2 vs #51 thru #150 (1-0 at home)

This shows our road schedule has been brutal so far. Hopefully we will start bumping up that record once we start playing more home games against teams in that #51 thru #150 range. 

See, I think we're in a battle for #9...#8 or even #7 if a few things fall our way.

Call me a Kool-Aid drinking, rose colored glasses wearing, sunshine pumping optimist, but I like the talent we have on this team.  And I think if they can pull together as a team (granted, a big if) they have a shot at a decent season this year.

See, I think we're in a battle for #9...#8 or even #7 if a few things fall our way.

Call me a Kool-Aid drinking, rose colored glasses wearing, sunshine pumping optimist, but I like the talent we have on this team.  And I think if they can pull together as a team (granted, a big if) they have a shot at a decent season this year.

Good grief, 49r.  I hate to say it, but you're a Kool-Aid drinking, rose colored glasses wearing, sunshine pumping optimist if you think we're in a battle for #7.  Eight, maybe.  But #7?  You're pushing the bounds of credulity there, my man.  ;)