• The NU Dungeon
    • Miles High Club
    • The Haymarket Exchange
    • The Cornfield
    • Big Red Bench
    • The Salt Creek Saloon
    • The Talk Exchange
    • Haymarket Hardwood

Some late closing polls are fairing well for an incombent. :)

Yeah it would be real smart to keep the forum named after where we USED to play...

I get that change is sometimes uncomfortable for folks, but I don't understand the logic of keeping the forum named after the Devaney Center.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah it would be real smart to keep the forum named after where we USED to play...

I get that change is sometimes uncomfortable for folks, but I don't understand the logic of keeping the forum named after the Devaney Center.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Yet those people will have an advantage in this voting.  The way it is right now, you could say appx. 15% want to keep the same name and 85% want to change the name.  Unfortunately for those who want the name changed, their votes will be dispersed over 10-15 different options.  The voting structure makes it look like most people want to keep the same name but that's not really the case. 

Yet those people will have an advantage in this voting.  The way it is right now, you could say appx. 15% want to keep the same name and 85% want to change the name.  Unfortunately for those who want the name changed, their votes will be dispersed over 10-15 different options.  The voting structure makes it look like most people want to keep the same name but that's not really the case. 

You can apply that logic to any of them, though, especially when you're allowed to vote for multiple options.  Best to establish a method and criteria (which they did) and stick to it.

49r probably has a point about changing the name.

I'm not voting in this thing because it truly doesn't matter to me what we call the damned thing.  It's not like we're going to get more people on here if we have a new-fangled name we attach to a message board forum.

How about if we attach a picture of the Sower on top of the State Capitol dribbling a basketball and call it the Haymarket Hard On? 

Since the thread I originally posted this in got locked and dropped off the page, I'm moving this "stump speech" over here...

I said the following when the new board opened up shop last year...

Since we'll be playing in the PBA for the next 30-50 years, my vote would be for "The Bank Vault". Only problem there would be if Pinnacle somehow goes broke, can't pay the installments, and have to sacrifice the naming rights. But really, that probably wouldn't happen for at least a decade. By then we'll be using like... I dunno... telepathy instead of the internet, have space cars, robot housemaids, and boys named Elroy. That is, if the world doesn't explode in two months.

But I've recently started to have thoughts similar to this...

If that's a thing we're shooting for, then, ok, but I don't think it's that big of a deal, it's got some name recognition to it at this point...

Just start typing "devan..." into google and you'll see "devaney dungeon" appear on the autocomplete list. That means people are searching for the keywords "devaney dungeon" and google has made the connection and placed some amount of importance behind it.

That's really not something you want to throw away. It will take some time for new keywords to be established. And if you choose something that's a bit generic (The Bank Vault), that's going to be more difficult to rank first, on page one, in google. Right now we're dominating the top half of page one for the search term "Devaney Dungeon", and I doubt there's anything that will ever come close to challenging that. I don't think that can be said for many of the names suggested in this thread.

And just like the concern over naming the board after a company that currently owns the arena's naming rights (which may/may not last the full contract term), we probably shouldn't be naming it after a coach either.

I say we keep the current name.

So if we want people (new/old/irregular) to find this place, keeping those keywords (Devaney Dungeon) intact would be a solid idea. It doesn't really matter that we don't play in the Devaney Center any more. Bob Devaney is still an important NU icon, so it still fits.

Having said that, this board has TWO NAMES. The main title is "Husker Hoops Central" and really, it should continue to be known by that. It just so happens that one of the forum names (DD) is more popular than the actual site's name. Which is kinda weird.

Therefore, I'm also kinda, pretty much, maybe, sorta on board for just calling this sub-forum "Men's Basketball". I think something like the following labels would make the most sense...

SbTBOVJ.png