2013 Husker Scrimmage Thread: Hüsker Nü

hhcmatt

Went to the scrimmage. Haven't been around a computer to post my thoughts for a couple days. 

Webster- Was most impressive to me. He was very passive at the beginning of the scrimmage, but at the end of scrimmage when both teams were trying to win he made all the plays. He hit the game winning bucket, and made the game winning play, when he stripped Biggs and went in for the layup. You could tell he upped his play when the game mattered, and just looked better than everyone at that point. 

Biggs- was also impressive, he can get to the rack and dish it out, and I didn't realize he was that good of a shooter, he can make shots. 

Petteway- I was hoping to see more from him. I really don't remember seeing him do anything that stood out, Might have missed it though. 

Pitchford- Looked very athletic, and shot a little better than I thought. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon with him quite yet. He didn't show anything with his back to the basket and most of his dunks (which were great) were the result of horrible or just simply no defense. I'm worried the bigger bodies in the B1G might give him trouble, but his athleticism should counter that. I want to see more of him before I make a final judgement. 

Ray- He looked like Ray, I think he got a little bigger and stronger. I'm hoping he doesn't have to shoot as much as he did last year, and is a little more efficient. 

Vucetic- His moves were way to slow, Miles did say he is a good shooter from 15-18 ft. But he couldn't make a post move to get around Kye so, I don't think he helps us at all this year. 

Smith- Looked more athletic than I thought he would be. He will grab rebounds and be a tough defender. I don't think he will do much on the offensive end for us with post moves, he will mostly get garbage baskets and buckets on his athleticism. He showed 1 post move and it was blocked because he used bad technique on the hook shot. I suspect that to improve throughout the season though.

Fuller- He is just solid.....Looks like he has a very high basketball IQ, just always seemed to be in the right spot at the right time. Pretty good shooter, was impressed with his rebounding. Think he will be a great glue guy on the team. 

Hawkings- I was impressed with him, way more athletic than I initially thought. Might end up being an above average shooter, can be a great defender. 

Shavon- looked like Shavon of last year, didn't get to see enough of him because he really didn't get going until right before his injury. But he will be one of our best players. 

Overall- I am concerned with our play in the post, but I think we will be very good defensively and are way more athletic than last year. Should be very entertaining and interesting season. 

CheapSeats, I think you missed a couple of buckets down low by Smith.  Wheeled and scored over Pitchford a couple of times with a nice drop step move into the lane.  You weren't going to see a lot from these guys down low in the scrimmage format though because too many of their teammates were jacking up ill-advised 3 pointers all the time.

I appreciate the input fellas. I missed the scrimmage entirely, so it's nice to read y'all's comments. Sounds to me like our rotation will take shape around 9/10 or so for regular minutes. Hawkins, Biggs, and Parker will likely compete for back end guard rotation minutes from what it sounds like. Clearly Webster, Gallegos, and Petteway are the cream of the crop there. Hawkins ability level really pushes Benny to step up to find his niche IMO (as if we all didn't know that already).

Fuller sounds like the back end wing rotation guy at this point, with Smith & Vooch pushing each other for the big man minutes. All 3 of them will clearly compete to share minutes with Pitchford, Rivers, and Shields.

My projected rotation doesn't change much with all the input (as I'm guessing most didn't).

My Rotation:

Pitchford

Smith or Vooch (both when foul trouble)

Rivers

Shields

Fuller

Petteway

Webster

Gallegos

Hawkins, Biggs, or Parker (2 of these)

I am not sure how anyone can accurately project the rotation at this point.  Earlier I read that Nathan Hawkins was a candidate to redshirt.  Well crap, he looked pretty darn good in the scrimmage.  Rivers looked bigger, but what about his health?  I think Webster is the real deal, but we have really improved depth.  Shoot, I watched the scrimmage and walked away asking myself who the starting five could be...there are a lot of of options which means to me that the next forty days is going to be extremely competitive.  The best five will be on the floor, and good luck to the coaches trying to figure out who will make it to that top five.

I appreciate the input fellas. I missed the scrimmage entirely, so it's nice to read y'all's comments. Sounds to me like our rotation will take shape around 9/10 or so for regular minutes. Hawkins, Biggs, and Parker will likely compete for back end guard rotation minutes from what it sounds like. Clearly Webster, Gallegos, and Petteway are the cream of the crop there. Hawkins ability level really pushes Benny to step up to find his niche IMO (as if we all didn't know that already).

Fuller sounds like the back end wing rotation guy at this point, with Smith & Vooch pushing each other for the big man minutes. All 3 of them will clearly compete to share minutes with Pitchford, Rivers, and Shields.

My projected rotation doesn't change much with all the input (as I'm guessing most didn't).

My Rotation:

Pitchford

Smith or Vooch (both when foul trouble)

Rivers

Shields

Fuller

Petteway

Webster

Gallegos

Hawkins, Biggs, or Parker (2 of these)

Hey wait, that's more than eight.

Biggs has the quicks to do so much offensively but it almost seems like he focuses more on the cute move rather than finishing sometimes. Pitchford can do some impressive dunking but I would rather see him play solid D and box out. He has the tools to be pretty good. Hope he can get things going for the Huskers. Webster looked like he was just coasting even at the end. Will be interesting to see how he playes once the whistle blows in a real game.

Never liked scrimmages as they usually turn into a playground pickup game after the tip off. 

Went to the scrimmage. Haven't been around a computer to post my thoughts for a couple days. 

Webster- Was most impressive to me. He was very passive at the beginning of the scrimmage, but at the end of scrimmage when both teams were trying to win he made all the plays. He hit the game winning bucket, and made the game winning play, when he stripped Biggs and went in for the layup. You could tell he upped his play when the game mattered, and just looked better than everyone at that point. 

Biggs- was also impressive, he can get to the rack and dish it out, and I didn't realize he was that good of a shooter, he can make shots. 

Petteway- I was hoping to see more from him. I really don't remember seeing him do anything that stood out, Might have missed it though. 

Pitchford- Looked very athletic, and shot a little better than I thought. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon with him quite yet. He didn't show anything with his back to the basket and most of his dunks (which were great) were the result of horrible or just simply no defense. I'm worried the bigger bodies in the B1G might give him trouble, but his athleticism should counter that. I want to see more of him before I make a final judgement. 

Ray- He looked like Ray, I think he got a little bigger and stronger. I'm hoping he doesn't have to shoot as much as he did last year, and is a little more efficient. 

Vucetic- His moves were way to slow, Miles did say he is a good shooter from 15-18 ft. But he couldn't make a post move to get around Kye so, I don't think he helps us at all this year. 

Smith- Looked more athletic than I thought he would be. He will grab rebounds and be a tough defender. I don't think he will do much on the offensive end for us with post moves, he will mostly get garbage baskets and buckets on his athleticism. He showed 1 post move and it was blocked because he used bad technique on the hook shot. I suspect that to improve throughout the season though.

Fuller- He is just solid.....Looks like he has a very high basketball IQ, just always seemed to be in the right spot at the right time. Pretty good shooter, was impressed with his rebounding. Think he will be a great glue guy on the team. 

Hawkings- I was impressed with him, way more athletic than I initially thought. Might end up being an above average shooter, can be a great defender. 

Shavon- looked like Shavon of last year, didn't get to see enough of him because he really didn't get going until right before his injury. But he will be one of our best players. 

Overall- I am concerned with our play in the post, but I think we will be very good defensively and are way more athletic than last year. Should be very entertaining and interesting season. 

Go to the 3:22 mark on the video trickey just posted.  You'll want to amend that comment.

Go to the 3:22 mark on the video trickey just posted.  You'll want to amend that comment.

Yea, I missed that play, Norm, that looked like a legit move, even though Pitchford was standing straight up and didn't show much effort. Maybe the one I saw and was talking about, he might have mishandled the ball because it looked awful. 

So, did anyone publish any attendance estimates? I figured with what was in the upper bowl, had they moved down they would have filled the lower bowl to just about capacity. So, maybe 8,000 to 9,000 fans? Thoughts?

I believe that Rosenthal tweeted an official estimate of 7,500.

Chris Harriman had a number more in line with what I personally thought:

https://twitter.com/chrisharriman24/status/383768778925817856