Will this team be better in every phase?

Fullbacksympathy

I'm just thinking across the board. 

At any given time, 1-4 should be able to:

Handle the ball serviceably.

Shoot the ball serviceably.

Guard the hell out of the perimeter (I'm probably more excited about this than ever.. should be a lanky, quick, smart defensive team).

Run.

Passing is a mystery.

Each of the above (minus passing) should be improved this year.  I think that results in more wins. 

As for the 5, well... Ubel was one of my favorite players ever, but that's because he came in terrible and left a little above average (and that's a major compliment).  I have no idea if Walter is better than Ubel, but I am thrilled to have someone who will dunk the hell out of the ball at any given opportunity.  And if you play above the rim as much as he supposedly does, I think that will result in a strong shotblocking presence inside.  Additionally, I think the combo of Pitchford/Smith will be better than Ubel, so that's gotta be an improvement as well. 

Lastly, just based on interviews and bench enthusiasm from the transfers last year, these guys seem super likable (moreso than I can ever remember).  In other words, it really sounds as if they're coachable kids.  I don't think we're going to have many players out there beating themselves.  I think we'll see a fun, disciplined, confident unit.

I just don't recall a year that we improved 1-5 (supposedly). 

It's the first time in a long time I wish I didn't have a gig.  Excited to hear reports on the scrimmage.

LK1, the journal star article this morning posted on another thread reports that Pitchford has one of the top verticals on the team, in excess of 40 inches.  I think that assures us that reports about him playing above the rim are valid.

One of the things last year's team had going for it was cohesion.  They had no choice.  Few of them were able to play and get minutes, no depth, so they really formed a cohesive group.  That, by itself, made the difference in beating Purdue in the B1G tourney.

This team will be significantly more athletic than last year.  They'll be stronger, faster, more explosive, deeper, and probably a lot more talented overall.  But they'll also be younger, less experienced and new to each other.  The nice thing is that the rule change allows Coach Miles to work more with them, including over the summer so hopefully that blunts the affects of inexperience somewhat.

You would hope that some of our freshmen and newcomers would be able to step in and have the kind of immediate impact Shavon Shields had.  I think it's reasonable to think we should be a lot, lot better this year.  (Dare I say "bubble"?)

The thing is, we could be a lot, lot better than we were last year, and it might not reflect in the standings all that much.  We're in a deep league, fellas.  We could improve significantly this year and not necessarily have the results show it.  We might need to put on patience pants on this year.  Might.

I think it is hard to make these comparisons in a vacuum. 

It is impossible for us to know how good a newcomer will play defense.  Just because someone is quick and athletic doesn't necessary mean they will be good defenders.  For instance, Biggs is lightning quick and athletic, but from everything I have heard he is a very poor defender.  Guys like Tai and Fuller and Hawkins have no experience playing defense at this level, it will be a major adjustment.

There are other areas that could be worse this year.  For instance, last year we had very few turnovers per game.  In fact, I think we were in the top 10 in the nation for fewest turnovers last year.  This years team, with so many newcomers and young players could easily turn the ball over at a much higher rate.  Turnovers not only hinder our ability to score, they also lead to easy baskets for the opponent. 

There are intangibles.  Will there be a Dylan Talley to hit that game winning shot with no time on the clock?  Will there be leaders like Brandon and Dylan that keep their composure when the fire gets hot.  We just don't know how these kids will respond. 

Pitchford sounds very athletic, but what are his shortcomings?  We just don't know at this point.  Based on his measurables (6'10 with a 40" vertical) you would think he would be a phenom, but he has been here a year and there really haven't been a lot of rumors about his dominating at practice and such.  who knows, maybe he is and it just isn't getting out.  Is he strong enough to bang down low.  235lbs is pretty light to go underneath.  Does he have an agressive disposition or does he like to hang out around the perimeter.  We need him to bang, will he do it.  These are questions we don't know the answers to right now.

But, with that said, I am very excited to see these guys.  I have high expectations.  Hopefully we can make a statement this year and send some shockwaves through the B1G and let other teams and coaches know we will no longer be the pushover they expect NU to be.

As for the 5, well... Ubel was one of my favorite players ever, but that's because he came in terrible and left a little above average (and that's a major compliment).  I have no idea if Walter is better than Ubel, but I am thrilled to have someone who will dunk the hell out of the ball at any given opportunity.  And if you play above the rim as much as he supposedly does, I think that will result in a strong shotblocking presence inside.  Additionally, I think the combo of Pitchford/Smith will be better than Ubel, so that's gotta be an improvement as well. 

Can any of our bigs bring as much GATA as Ubel?  Can the athleticism make up for his experience?

Ubel sporadically brought offense to the table but typically contained all but the highest level of post players.  Can we expect our bigs to keep an even +/- against the other team?

The thing is, we could be a lot, lot better than we were last year, and it might not reflect in the standings all that much.  We're in a deep league, fellas.  We could improve significantly this year and not necessarily have the results show it.  We might need to put on patience pants on this year.  Might.

Point well taken.

Let me just suggest, then, that Creighton will be a good early test for us to see really where we are.  Granted it's there this year.  But they return basically all of their contributing players from last year except for Echinique.  So, Creighton should be a reasonably similar team compared to what they were last year when they blew us out at home.  If we go up there and play them close this year, can we assume we've made significant strides?

Great question, if there is one area where I don't we'll be better than last year is defense.  We will be more athletic at every position, but while highly correlated it doesn't always translate into being a great defender, or into great team defense.  Talley and Ubel were great defenders, and our defense kept us in a lot of games where we should have been ran off the court.  While I do think we be will improved on that end of the court, it is the one area I'm not 100% sure on when compared to last years squad.  

I agree that it will be a more fun team to watch, but I disagree about being more disciplined. 

I don't expect Webster and Biggs to take care of the ball or defend as well as Talley. I don't expect our new post players to have the level of discipline that Ubel had. Those were veteran guys who knew what the Big Ten was all about. Several of our newcomers played JUCO or overseas last year where there is little attention paid to defense and fundamentals.

Can't imagine defense being anywhere near as good. We had to stress that phase big time last year to try and survive. I am hopeful we buy in this year as well even though we will have a much easier time scoring. We may be able to create more turnovers this year though with better athletes out there.

I disagree with you insofar as you say not anywhere near as good.  It might not be AS good, but I doubt it will be significantly worse.  Just the infusion of athleticism and depth is going to help.  Depth is good because it minimizes fatigue and keeps fresh legs out there, which are always important for defense.  Athleticism speaks for itself.  We lose some experience, but we're still returning 3 starters off of last year's team and I have to believe that, from everything that's been said about Petteway, he's going to be an intense player on both ends of the floor.

So, last  year's defense compared to this year would have looked like:

'12-'13                 '13-'14

Gallegos                Gallegos

Shields                 Shields

Talley                  Webster?

Rivers                  Petteway?

Ubel                    Smith or Pitchford

So, we'll have an identical lineup in at least 2 and possibly 3 spots if Rivers starts.  And the only way Rivers gets knocked out of the starting lineup is if there's someone better to replace him.  And I frankly think we'll see more rebounding from the post this year than last year.  So ...

I think we'll have more steals, more blocked shots, and more transition buckets off turnovers with whoever the starters end up being.  If our shortest guard is 6'4" we won't be nearly as susceptible to mismatches.  The ability to switch on screens without any dropoff should greatly improve.

I guess I don't see any reason they wouldn't be as disciplined at this point.  Everyone was new in Miles' system last year and they seemed to pick it up.  He has a common sense defense, not a psychotic man-zone-help scheme like Doc had (to his credit, it worked with some of his teams).  Also, arguably our two most talented players have been here for a year in this system already.

Yeah, LK1.  I mean, Gallegos is Gallegos.  He's not going to be any worse of a defender than last year.  He'll still be the energizer bunny when he's out there.  Shields should be better.  He's bigger, stronger and faster so he'll be better able to bang with a 4 or keep up with a 3.  The athleticism of Petteway and Pitchford add something to the equation.  And they aren't totally new to the system either.  And since everyone was new to the system last year, I'm not sure that a couple of newcomers is going to mess everyone up compared to last year when everyone was a newcomer.

Edit:  In no way did I intend this post to imply that Gallegos is a bad defender.  I intended to imply that he'll be pretty much as good as he was last year and not be any less effective than before. 

Point well taken.

Let me just suggest, then, that Creighton will be a good early test for us to see really where we are.  Granted it's there this year.  But they return basically all of their contributing players from last year except for Echinique.  So, Creighton should be a reasonably similar team compared to what they were last year when they blew us out at home.  If we go up there and play them close this year, can we assume we've made significant strides?

I think that seems fair, Norm. 

All this said, I'm looking forward to seeing the product Miles puts on the floor this year!  Haven't been this excited for NU hoops in some time.  I fully expect us to be better, I just don't know of the record will reflect the improvement.

Here's to finding out in a matter of a few short months!

I don't know if we will have a player who can take 25 seconds off the shot clock dribbling every possession quite as well as Talley could last year.

Good point here.  The offense last year was . . . lackluster.  However, Nebraska did a good job of limiting giveaways by controlling the clock.  As a result, opponents had fewer scoring opportunities.  Combine that with decent defensive rebounding (e.g. reducing second chance points) and a good number of takeaways, opponents were forced to either (1) force a fast break (which was ineffective when Nebraska defenders were able to press and/or get back quickly); (2) pass the ball around until a opportune shot was available (thus draining the clock more); (3) hope for a strong night shooting; or (4) slug it out and pull ahead in the second half once Nebraska started wearing down.

Of last year's opponents, Wisconsin is the only one that I can recall was able completely dominate us from wire-to-wire.  Most teams opted for strategies (2) and (4).  Impatient teams seemed to force shots and let us stay in the game unnecessarily.

That being said, if the offense is greatly improved, opponents will see scoring chances increase over last year as Nebraska may not milk the clock quite the same as it used to.  Potentially, you could see the defense "worsen" statistically for that reason alone.

Hopefully the nature of the guys we'll be playing this year will help keep the offense from being lackluster.  I'm assuming we'll have more guys capable of making plays.  With that advantage, the offense should look better simply because the talent level of the players will be better.

Can't imagine defense being anywhere near as good. We had to stress that phase big time last year to try and survive. I am hopeful we buy in this year as well even though we will have a much easier time scoring. We may be able to create more turnovers this year though with better athletes out there.

I disagree with you insofar as you say not anywhere near as good.  It might not be AS good, but I doubt it will be significantly worse.  Just the infusion of athleticism and depth is going to help.  Depth is good because it minimizes fatigue and keeps fresh legs out there, which are always important for defense.  Athleticism speaks for itself.  We lose some experience, but we're still returning 3 starters off of last year's team and I have to believe that, from everything that's been said about Petteway, he's going to be an intense player on both ends of the floor.

So, last  year's defense compared to this year would have looked like:

'12-'13                 '13-'14

Gallegos                Gallegos

Shields                 Shields

Talley                  Webster?

Rivers                  Petteway?

Ubel                    Smith or Pitchford

So, we'll have an identical lineup in at least 2 and possibly 3 spots if Rivers starts.  And the only way Rivers gets knocked out of the starting lineup is if there's someone better to replace him.  And I frankly think we'll see more rebounding from the post this year than last year.  So ...

Obviously I think our ceiling is too be a far superior defensive club than last year.  That just isn't the way it is likely to work.  It is human nature to give up more points when you have a far superior scoring outfit.  We will give up more points, but the main thing is that we are efficient.  We must not get trapped into believing we are more talented than we are.  We have to be willing to dig in on defense, just like last year when we overachieved.  If we can play at that level, even though it is a faster paced game, we have a chance to be a lot better.  And that is what we all want.  They key to this season is going to be how much we are willing to dig in on defense.  So much so, that I hope Miles puts the guys on the floor that are willing to do so.  After all we have a lot of candidates.  I think we are on the same page for the most part Norm.  You may be slightly more optimistic than I am about that end of the floor though. 

Turnovers: Worse. Less experienced team, likely first-year starter at point.

Rebounding: Better. Good overall team size, even with the limitations in the post.

Scoring: Better. Lots more options.

Intangibles: Worse. Talley and Ubel brought a lot of experience to last year's team. We hung around and won some close games last year. An inexperienced team might start chucking up shots when they fall behind this year.

Fans: Much, much better. I think the big home crowds are going to help a young, inexperienced team. We're going to struggle on the road, but it's not like that was our strong suit last year anyway.

To me, the key to this team will be the ability to play team defense.  And for a team defense to be successful, you need an eraser.  Someone who will be there to erase the mistakes made by another defender.  Last year, we had Ubel and although Brandon worked his butt off, he was not the enforcer you needed underneath.  Frankly, Andre did okay, but for only very limited minutes.

This year we have the ingrediants to have that eraser in both Smith and Pitchford.  They look the part, but until we see them in action, we will not know for sure.  If they are what I think they can be, we are going to be a very improved team...

Shooting - we have to be better, and frankly I believe we will be.

Rebounding - we have an athletic group and they are aggressive to boot.  So we will be a better rebounding team

FT Shooting - we have better shooters, so yes, it only seems to follow that we will be better on the line

Ball handling - hell yes we will be better, much better.  And Tai and Biggs both create opportunities with their skill sets.

Leadership - time will tell.